Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-13-2018, 08:09 PM

Default Arnie's gonna sue big oil lol

http://edmontonsun.com/entertainment...f-3c08785d38da

Arnold Schwarzenegger is preparing to sue some of the world’s leading oil companies after accusing them of “killing people all over the world” due to climate change.

The action star turned politician, who since leaving office as California’s Governor in 2011 has turned his hand to environmental activism, has vowed to drag oil bosses through the courts over their contribution to global warming.

At the SXSW festival in Austin, Texas on Sunday Arnold told POLITICO magazine’s Off Message podcast that he was in talks with several legal firms over bringing the case, which he compared to the billion dollar lawsuits tobacco companies faced from cancer victims.

“This is no different from the smoking issue,” the 70-year-old star said. “The tobacco industry knew for years and years and years and decades, that smoking would kill people, would harm people and create cancer, and were hiding that fact from the people and denied it.

“Then eventually they were taken to court and had to pay hundreds of millions of dollars because of that. The oil companies knew from 1959 on, they did their own study that there would be global warming happening because of fossil fuels, and on top of it that it would be risky for people’s lives, that it would kill.”

The activist actor is yet to announce when he will be filing his lawsuit, but is planning to host a major environmental conference in Austria, the country of his birth, in May.

He also added that petroleum, like tobacco, should come with a health warning to consumers, saying, “To me it’s absolutely irresponsible to know that your product is killing people and not have a warning label on it, like tobacco.”

The Terminator star’s environmental campaigning has caused him to clash with U.S. President Donald Trump, who pulled out of the Paris climate accord looking to limit greenhouse gas emissions last year.

Donald has expressed scepticism about man made climate change, despite scientists overwhelmingly backing the idea that burning fossil fuels is warming the planet.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:13 PM

Yikes.

How he's become the "embarrassing cousin".

Old 03-13-2018, 08:18 PM

Until this I was a big fan of his. I even gave him a Mulligan on the affair with his curiously plain/dumpy looking maid (I was more disappointed in her appearance than the affair :P )
Old 03-13-2018, 08:41 PM
Banned

It has also come up in recent news that he flew a personal jet from his home to the governor’s mansion “frequently”.

Too bad hypocrisy means nothing to these people.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:48 PM

Default Hypocrite!

Being a body builder, he has released as much methane as a herd of cattle. Much worse than CO2.
Everyone who has tried to bulk up while working out and power eating protein know that you are gas plants.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:49 PM

He also has a place up in the mountains near salmon arm, helicopter access only! No smart car to get him there!
Old 03-14-2018, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little red riding hood View Post
He also has a place up in the mountains near salmon arm, helicopter access only! No smart car to get him there!
What is it about California that makes people idiots ?

Grizz
Old 03-14-2018, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little red riding hood View Post
It's also well known that he has multiple gas guzzling vehicle (H1 Hummers/tanks/etc.), that he drives on a regular basis.

Guess it's trendy to be an idiot.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
What is it about California that makes people idiots ?

Grizz

I blame in on the lack of real meat products and hipsters.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 03-14-2018, 08:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
Guess it's trendy to be an idiot.
Haha. Well said. I see it every day.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:57 AM

The man that was instrumental in the development of the civilian hummer is gonna sue big oil.

I got nothing...

Colin
Old 03-14-2018, 09:06 AM

Well he can sell all his cars and turn the heat off to his houses
Old 03-14-2018, 09:32 AM

I'll roll out a synopsis of how Arnold's entire career depended on oil & gas. Here is a man who worked hard and studied hard but when following his progression, his pursuits would not have been possible without the existence of plentiful & affordable energy. Were it not for O&G there would have been less food production and jobs would have been less plentiful; the potential for his bodybuilding career would not have been as financially lucrative if people had less disposable income. The food required to grow & maintain his physique would also have cost a lot more without affordable energy that made food production efficient. He would have had a hard time affording his bodybuilding obsession as not only would it cost him more to achieve, but the general public would have less disposable income to be able to incentivize him in the way of prize money as that came through advertising dollars for companies that also would be either making less or not even existing if not for abundant cheap energy.

Abundant affordable energy also allowed for the public to have disposable income to spend on things other than fitness equipment and magazines, such as movies. Far fewer movies would have been made, and that entire industry would also not be what it became were it not for oil and gas. Imagine trying to perform numerous film shoots and transporting all the crew and cameras by horse! And that's only possible if the film even existed in the first place thanks to petrochemicals.
Old 03-14-2018, 11:16 AM

It hurts my brain cell trying to figure it out. And how is big oil libel
Old 03-14-2018, 11:37 AM

While it's an obvious publicity stunt the suit seems to overlook where oil and gas save lives. Ambulances both ground and air depend upon it, the medical industry uses all manner of plastics for IV bags, needles, sterility of everything, etc. The amount of food grown by modern diesel powered farming literally feeds billions..... The list of its counterbalancing benefits to humanity is quite endless.
Old 03-14-2018, 11:55 AM

Californians are a funny bunch considering that California is still the third largest petroleum producing state (behind Texas and North Dakota). This coupled with the fact that in the early 20th century California supplied nearly 40% of the country's oil. They also do produce some of there own natural gas, but about 85% of it is supplied to the state by "gasp" pipelines. If anything, the rest of the world should sue Californians.
Old 03-14-2018, 12:17 PM

The overpopulation and conspicuous consumption of the State of California is known to the world to cause cancer....
Old 03-14-2018, 12:19 PM

It's a long swim and walk to Austria to host his environmental conference
Old 03-14-2018, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezzola View Post
Well he can sell all his cars and turn the heat off to his houses
And dump his clothes, cell phone, television, furniture, etc, etc, etc....

Look around you. Not one thing ISN'T touched by fossil fuels - NOT ONE! I don't care what it is, somehow fossil fuels either created it, are made from it, or transported it to your eyesight.

I can only hope that "Big Oil" takes on this challenge and collectively says to morons like this "Okay, we've had enough of being blamed for it all - we're turning off the taps for a month" and let's see the chaos happen then.... Lots of morons would change their views..... If only.....

I'm a fan of Arnie, but things like this just make me scratch my head.... Simply put - he's a moron

J.
Old 03-14-2018, 06:52 PM

What a moron! I guess he’s still trying to deflect the “ why did you bang the maid” question!
Old 03-14-2018, 11:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Yikes.

How he's become the "embarrassing cousin".

What the heck do you mean? He’s always bin the embarrassing cousin!
He’s like the Austrian version of trutard, “ ahyu, uuuhhh, aaahhhh” what’s his big claim to fame? “I’ll be back” society is turning into morons because they worship morons like dickraprio, Niels young, trutard swartzeneger, you worship morons, you will inevitably turn into one!
Old 03-15-2018, 12:11 AM

Let's just see if the Mainstream Media makes him out to be enlightened and fully qualified to lecture to the ignorant and unwashed masses, OR if they mock him for his laughable hypocrisy on such a massive scale? It would seem that the likes of Leonardo Dicaprio and Bono were essentially given free passes by the media, even though people didn't exactly have to be detectives in order to find out that they enjoy private jets, luxury cars, 100+ foot luxury yachts, helicopter use, etc. etc. The three celebrities mentioned probably have a carbon footprint larger than most towns of 10,000 people or less, yet somehow they are given platforms to lecture and are made to be authorities on subjects they have no formal education or any meaningful background in. Just more propaganda being fed to people too lazy to think for themselves.
Old 03-15-2018, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
The overpopulation and conspicuous consumption of the State of California is known to the world to cause cancer....
Good one!
Old 03-15-2018, 03:35 PM
Banned

On a related note.

http://www.climatedepot.com/2018/03/...-book-excerpt/

Quote:
"Predictions of less snow were ubiquitous by global warming scientists. But once that prediction failed to come true, the opposite of what they predicted instead became—what they expected. How did global warming scientists explain record snow after prediction less snow? Easy. More snow is now caused by global warming. 'Snow is consistent with global warming, say scientists' blared a UK Telegraph headline in 2009. The Financial Times tried to explain “Why global warming means...more snow” in 2012...
So no matter what happens, the activists can claim with confidence the event was a predicted consequence of global warming. There is now no way to ever falsify global warming claims."
Old 03-15-2018, 05:58 PM

The funniest part of all this is they are going to establish a pile of precedent such that I can sue Leo for killing my family via climate change with exhaust from his yacht.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:15 AM
Banned

Haha. What a moron.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-hollywo...panies-murder/

Quote:
Actor and environmental activist Arnold Schwarzenegger is gassing up the chopper for a gas-burning helicopter joy ride for some lucky contestant, even after he said that he would sue oil companies for killing people with fossil fuels.
“I don’t think there’s any difference: If you walk into a room and you know you’re going to kill someone, it’s first-degree murder; I think it’s the same thing with the oil companies,” Schwarzenegger said, announcing his upcoming lawsuit at the South By Southwest tech conference. “Every gas station on it, every car should have a warning label on it, every product that has fossil fuels should have a warning label on it.”
Old 03-21-2018, 10:30 AM

The oil companies should counter-sue Arnie for burning up their products. If he didn't burn it, oil wouldn't be a problem!