Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-18-2018, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
I'm surprised anyone supports the cowards, shouldn't sign up if you think you couldn't at least try to engage an active shooter, especially in a school. Our children are most precious, nothing compares!

Watch the parliament shooting, many, many, cops running toward the shooter, handguns drawn, him with a long gun.

They were going to defend politicians, of all people........
Ok so you dont just maybe think the people protecting the leaders of a first world country might just have a tiny bit more training than a deputy in Broward county. Situation is also completely applies to oranges

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
Old 03-18-2018, 12:06 PM

I still haven't seen any creditable information posted of the Policy and or training procedures. Along with the records of such being performed.

If you read the post I did from CNNs time.line they posted. What building would you go into and what floor would you go to? Bldg 12 1st floor, 2nd or 3rd.
Or would you have gone to the football field? Kept the kids locked in the bldg?

Not sure but it seems the Officers initial report was firecrackers going off. By the football field. Then possibly gun shots. Maybe from the football field or maybe from bldg 12. Not sure.

The other responding Officers from the other Department may have known more due to 911 calls and being dispatched to the scene.
But with out knowing the whole story one should not be calling "coward".

Have you seen the after math of highly Trained Police Officers single handedly rushing into a scene where a person with a gun is shooting? All you have to do is read up on Moncton NB here is a link
https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&sourc...IZvc6Q&ampcf=1
This is a sore point and may the Officers who sacrificed their lives that day rest in peace.
This is a perfect example of a active shooter scenario where Officers rushed in with no regard for their own lives, to protect the public. more so not understanding their capabilities and limitations
Being a HERO sometimes means waiting for backup. Being the hero is not a tv show where a Police Officer goes in guns blazing trying to John Wayne it up. That is the public's perception of how it should go. That is not reality.

When things go bad one relies on tactics and training. If either one or both are lacking things go sideways quick.

The whole active shooter and charging them asap is based upon them not wanting to fight the Police. Based upon a quick response. Usually a person full of rage will give up when they know they no longer have an advantage. Or they get shot. (Not shot at).
A citizen popping up from the crowd and shooting back at a active shooter is unexpected and throws the shooters plan off. ( maybe a undercover/off duty Police Officer) Which in turn makes them conti ue to fight or give up. Depends on how much will they have.( given up may be hands in the air or run away). This is based off surprise not off anything else. Catching the shooter off guard so to speak.

Again those using the words COWARD please post up the department's policy and training records.
Old 03-18-2018, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
A little more catch up for you, and there are many more but you appear to support cowardice behavior so you will most likely ignore these as well..

“That’s exactly what we’re examining,” Sheriff Israel said, noting that active shooter protocols require confronting suspects as quickly as possible. “You don’t wait for SWAT, you get in, and you push toward the shooter.”

Deputy Peterson, who has been in law enforcement for more than 30 years, could not be reached for comment, and no one answered the door at his home in neighboring Palm Beach County.

The shooting at Columbine High School in 1999 fundamentally changed police protocol amid fears that a gunman or gunmen equipped with semiautomatic weapons would be capable of killing dozens of people in a matter of moments. Officers, their patrol cars now stocked with supplies like rifles, ballistic helmets and trauma care kits, are now trained to seek gunmen urgently, even if they have no backup or only limited information.
So he has a crystal ball to tell him the exact situation?

Old 03-18-2018, 02:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brohymn2 View Post
So he has a crystal ball to tell him the exact situation?

Crystal ball? It has been reported that he had over 30 years in law enforcement, was armed, trained specifically in school shootings, protocol was NOT to hide but push toward the shooter, unfortunately he never had the balz for it.

Nice angle by the lawyer though saying he thought the noises were fire crackers, although I am not sure why you would hide from firecrackers.
Old 03-18-2018, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
Crystal ball? It has been reported that he had over 30 years in law enforcement, was armed, trained specifically in school shootings, protocol was NOT to hide but push toward the shooter, unfortunately he never had the balz for it.

Nice angle by the lawyer though saying he thought the noises were fire crackers, although I am not sure why you would hide from firecrackers.
You believe the news? Only one who really knows is the deputy, and he has to live with his choice. But unless you were beside him and knew everything that was going down who do you think you are using the word coward, or maybe your the one with the crystal ball.

Old 03-18-2018, 03:35 PM

From reading more of the transcript logs posted online.
It sounds like the Police Officer and the School Security Officer may have been following protocol.

Suspected firecrackers or shots fired outside school by football field or bldg 12. Shots indicated by Transit Officer across radio.
Locked the school down.

Possibly shots fired inside bldg 12 not sure, report of injured person by foolball field. (Eludes to original report shots fired outside).
Wait for SWAT to direct team into building.

Other Officers staying by their cars, taking cover suspecting armed person is outside of the building.

I wonder if the gunman had a second person on the job to send radio transmission to confuse the situation? Makes one wonder.
Old 03-18-2018, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctd View Post
From reading more of the transcript logs posted online.
It sounds like the Police Officer and the School Security Officer may have been following protocol.

Suspected firecrackers or shots fired outside school by football field or bldg 12. Shots indicated by Transit Officer across radio.
Locked the school down.

Possibly shots fired inside bldg 12 not sure, report of injured person by foolball field. (Eludes to original report shots fired outside).
Wait for SWAT to direct team into building.

Other Officers staying by their cars, taking cover suspecting armed person is outside of the building.

I wonder if the gunman had a second person on the job to send radio transmission to confuse the situation? Makes one wonder.
Can we get a link for that?

Old 03-18-2018, 04:12 PM

content://com.sec.android.app.sbrowser/readinglist/0318143159.mhtml

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/15/us/fl...ine/index.html

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/amp.cnn....nse/index.html

What do you think of the last link, and it's wording?
Old 03-18-2018, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Ok so you dont just maybe think the people protecting the leaders of a first world country might just have a tiny bit more training than a deputy in Broward county. Situation is also completely applies to oranges

Not more trained, constables mostly, according to news. Hard to call them battle-hardened veterans, or highly trained marksman, perp was shot 31 times, the fatal shot to the back of his head?? Vickers about the same age as Peterson, and an admin cop last 20 years of service, IIRC.

They weren't in full riot gear, or holding semi-auto crowd control rifles, just foot soldiers with handguns.

But that's those boys & girls, what exactly is Peterson's role as a school cop???
If it's to keep the boys from snapping the girl's bra straps, why give him a gun at all??
Old 03-18-2018, 04:38 PM

That's fine to think. Were you in Ottawa and Broward county so you are able to compare how the 2 are the exact same. Cause you know the news is gonna release highly detailed after action reports that are written without bias.

Old 03-18-2018, 04:43 PM

I wasn't in any place where first responders are in danger, but everywhere from Boston Marathon to London subway to St Paul, Ab, the cops are rushing toward the fight, gun in hand.

How does a firefighter ever get treated for smoke inhalation, not by standing & watching the fire..........
Old 03-18-2018, 04:49 PM

I'm also fearful that a Canadian male/female is going to make a hard choice in a far off land that results unfavorably which the media contorts in order to push an agenda and a lynch mob consisting of every "hero" on this thread form a mob outside cfb edmonton with signs that say "babykiller".

Old 03-18-2018, 04:59 PM

Quote:
I wasn't in any place where first responders are in danger, but everywhere from Boston Marathon to London subway to St Paul, Ab, the cops are rushing toward the fight, gun in hand.

How does a firefighter ever get treated for smoke inhalation, not by standing & watching the fire..........
He also knows enough to make the decision not to run in the house of it's a suicide mission. They have experience to fall back.

And every situation is completely different. Are you a tactical analyst or do you drink beer by yourself watching combat videos on YouTube so you can comment about how real men are doing their jobs

Old 03-18-2018, 04:59 PM

If I was a parent of a school-age kid in metro US, I think I would feel much better knowing there was a 25 year veteran armed cop able to respond to an emergency. Peterson's inaction would be absolutely gut-wrenching if my child was one of the last ones......
Old 03-18-2018, 05:11 PM

Quote:
If I was a parent of a school-age kid in metro US, I think I would feel much better knowing there was a 25 year veteran armed cop able to respond to an emergency. Peterson's inaction would be absolutely gut-wrenching if my child was one of the last ones......
Yes but we he "able" cause you know how things went down so well.

Old 03-18-2018, 05:15 PM

Quote:
He also knows enough to make the decision not to run in the house of it's a suicide mission. They have experience to fall back.

And every situation is completely different. Are you a tactical analyst or do you drink beer by yourself watching combat videos on YouTube so you can comment about how real men are doing their jobs

There you go, taking a nice civilized discussion & making it personal. Jeebus man.

Clearly you're in LE, and the expert, not the beer drinker, please explain Peterson's job description
Old 03-18-2018, 05:18 PM

Quote:
content://com.sec.android.app.sbrowser/readinglist/0318143159.mhtml

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/15/us/fl...ine/index.html

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/amp.cnn....nse/index.html

What do you think of the last link, and it's wording?
I missed this but the last article does say a lot. So I anyone going to apply their tactical knowledge acquired over years of experience to explain how much better you would have done things. If not you're acting like ignorant clowns who didn't have the nuts to do the business yourselves but somehow now feel they can do something as silly as call someone a coward.

Old 03-18-2018, 05:23 PM

Quote:
There you go, taking a nice civilized discussion & making it personal. Jeebus man.

Clearly you're in LE, and the expert, not the beer drinker, please explain Peterson's job description
O dont know. Hence why I'm not making an accusation of.cowardice. if there was proof that he was coward I would agree. That said I have enough experience about a thing or 2 to know unless your boots on the ground you know anything. And I could cre less ht the media is twisting

Old 03-18-2018, 05:30 PM

People gladly accept the media's portrayal of brave cops running to save lives, why would the media have an axe to grind in this case??

It seems to many that cops waiting outside hiding behind squad cars while gunshots ring out inside leaves a feeling of utter disbelief...
Old 03-18-2018, 05:44 PM

Quote:
People gladly accept the media's portrayal of brave cops running to save lives, why would the media have an axe to grind in this case??

It seems to many that cops waiting outside hiding behind squad cars while gunshots ring out inside leaves a feeling of utter disbelief...
No clue I'm not the media. But I dont trust them and I save my criticisms for "boots on the ground" information that I most likely dont recieve. If you dont have that dont wave your arms round screaming coward. I dont kno or care what your job is but let's take a short security feed of you working and we can all sit back and tell where your wrong

Old 03-18-2018, 05:53 PM

In many cases media have direct access to 'boots on the ground' and the facts, do you not trust them when they report favorably?

I'd be somewhat concerned without them, although cell phones have helped transparency somewhat.

That security feed certainly doesn't help Peterson's cause, early reports had other LE questioning.
Old 03-18-2018, 06:11 PM

Quote:
In many cases media have direct access to 'boots on the ground' and the facts, do you not trust them when they report favorably?

I'd be somewhat concerned without them, although cell phones have helped transparency somewhat.

That security feed certainly doesn't help Peterson's cause, early reports had other LE questioning.
Well that deputy hasn't said his interpretation on the news yet. He is exactly boots on the ground for his situation... duh. No I dont trust them. They are a multi billion dollar corporation that is going to report things in which way will boost their ratings and push what ever agenda they might be behind. At any time were you part of an organization that tightly controlled what was said to the media due to the fact that something could be twisted and used against the organization. That would not be happening if the media reported as is.

Old 03-18-2018, 06:38 PM

So you don't like the media because they're rich, but you've referenced them couple times in this thread already, course then they were favorable.......

You also called Peterson an over the hill fat cop(politely)
Old 03-18-2018, 06:41 PM

On another note to anyone who thought they had right to call him a coward. How do any of you know you would or wouldn't act the same. It is very likely you would cower or freeze up.

Food for thought for all the Rambo clones

Old 03-18-2018, 06:45 PM

Quote:
So you don't like the media because they're rich, but you've referenced them couple times in this thread already, course then they were favorable.......

You also called Peterson an over the hill fat cop(politely)
Yes I called him that. Completely relevant, who do you think is gonna be more effective in that situation him, pr a cop with the physical capacity of a navy seal

Old 03-18-2018, 06:47 PM

Ok that's fine about my reference , feel free to ignore that. But the point about boots on the ground rings better than any of the rest

Old 03-18-2018, 07:00 PM

Reports have it that Broward county SOP is first person on site to confront the shooter. Apparently this has been ongoing since Columbine. As well Peterson's own boss expressed concern about the way it wasn't handled.

Israel wasn't boots on the ground, but very close to the situation.
Old 03-18-2018, 07:15 PM

roper1

Interesting I have asked for you to provide some information based on what the Officers Training and Policy was. You have failed to provide anything creditable towards your theory of not following training and policy, yet you call him a Coward.

Yet he may have fully followed his training,

http://www.policeforum.org/assets/do...nts%202014.pdf

maybe you should read this whole write up. Its pretty informative.

Last edited by ctd; 03-18-2018 at 07:21 PM.
Old 03-18-2018, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Reports have it that Broward county SOP is first person on site to confront the shooter. Apparently this has been ongoing since Columbine. As well Peterson's own boss expressed concern about the way it wasn't handled.

Israel wasn't boots on the ground, but very close to the situation.
So he has to follow a sop to a T every time irregardless of the situation and his judgement based on training and experience? Highly doubtful.

His boss could be right and he could be wrong. Way I see it from a leadership perspective is he should have been behind his deputy until some kind of formal investigation had taken place hopefully from an outside agency and then went about disciplining him. But now he has essentially said he will bend to media attention to save his own ads unless standing behind his officers. The sheriff is also probably an elected official, think about how that might weigh on his choice.

Old 03-18-2018, 07:23 PM

Quote:
roper1

Interesting I have asked for you to provide some information based on what the Officers Training and Policy was. You have failed to provide anything creditable towards your theory of not following training and policy, yet you call him a Coward.

Yet he may have fully followed his training,

http://www.policeforum.org/assets/do...nts%202014.pdf

maybe you should read this whole write up. Its pretty informative.
Post #20 says he did not, his own boss said he did not follow his training