Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-20-2018, 10:43 AM

Default What size of enclosed / cargo trailer?

I am looking to buy a cargo trailer to haul / store the toys in. Looking for input on what size to buy based on your past experience. Need room for two quads, kids motorbike, generator, and all the small crap that goes along with it.
Old 03-20-2018, 11:00 AM

That's a pretty broad question..
Depends on size of toys,etc. etc..
Why not just pick a size of the most common enclosed trailer, and tape it out on the ground and see if it works for you with your toys.

My only comment is to be cautious of the ground clearance. Obviously those snowmobile style that sit high up are better, but car style may be an issue. I know we've dragged the corners of the trailer across quite a few things.. lower car style gets better mpg than snowmobile style.
Old 03-20-2018, 11:38 AM

Mine is a 24 & I wish it was bigger.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by full_throttle View Post
I am looking to buy a cargo trailer to haul / store the toys in. Looking for input on what size to buy based on your past experience. Need room for two quads, kids motorbike, generator, and all the small crap that goes along with it.
You have to figure it out. Get the actual hard weights of everything and add them up. Then arrange everything on dry ground as it would be inside the trailer, with heaviest stuff near the axle and everything properly balanced. Measure it. Keep some distance so things aren't scraping and banging together going down logging roads.

Having relatively heavy point weights such as quads or other machinery requires a solid frame and deck, and pulling that stuff out to the boonies requires a high-boy. You're dealing with a much different scenario than hauling a bunch of furniture down the highway to a new city for work. It would be a good argument for a gooseneck hitch too, but then you might have to make your own enclosure or convert a used horse trailer.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:14 PM

Get in touch with Rather Be Hunting. For years Roy used a 28ish trailer for two argos and all the camping gear. We then slept inside the trailer and had the kitchen outside. Great fun!!!

But the Ground clearance will keep you from rutted up roads and tight trails, that it got pretty heavy needing some power to get to where you were going.

Drewski
Old 03-20-2018, 06:47 PM

Default Trailer

You want to make sure that the rear loading door is high enough to load side by sides, not only for you, at some point in the future possibly, but also for resale value.
Old 03-21-2018, 03:02 PM

Default Cargo Hauler

I went with a 20' (20 feet of straight wall with 4' V)mid deck and it will haul two full size quads and a ranger but is at the max for the GVW OF 7000 LBS. We installed wall mount bunks and camp out of it all the time. If I was to do it again because of the size of our family I would go with a 24' with 5K axels

We love this unit. If I ever get the Zama Bison draw I know what I'll be taking up there. As you stated I store bikes in ours too. Nice to have them out of the garage.