Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 04-28-2013, 05:17 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
There will be some sour grapes over this year's shootout. What I can't figure out is how a rod goes from great one year to junk the next year.

I can understand some rod manufacturers stepping up with a better rod, but how does that make the other rod get worse?

Last year the Sage One didn't win but was 2nd or 3rd (I can't remember and the links have been removed from the web coincidentally) and this year it is absolute, back to the drawing board junk.

Redington also takes a pounding on there. I have a 9'6" 5wt Link and as you would expect it is slightly tip heavy. They say it is a club when in fact it is a nice casting, fast action rod.

Scot got so irked after a bad review years ago that they wouldn't send them a rod. Old George went out and bought one anyway and continues to rip them apart.

The BVK was a decent rod but now has fallen out of favour and last years darling of the shootout the Winston Passport has now been dropped completely because of supply problems? What the %^$# does supply problems have to do with the quality of a fishing rod???? He admits to having a bad taste in his mouth over supply issues so all of a sudden the Mystic is the best value priced fly rod?

And what is with, "this rod is just too slow" and testing it with a GPX line designed for fast rods. If it's too slow, why not try it with a 5wt. line instead of 5.5wt.. It was designed as a 5wt. not a 5.5 wt..

Me thinks an inventory of the back room and a special price from certain suppliers is a motivating factor in determining the shootout. Anyone with a blog, website or even a fly fishing face-book page knows that Loop has been aggressive in getting their products noticed. All of a sudden they went from also ran to number 2.

The Hardy Zenith was 20 out of 20 last year at close range, but this year it it dropped to 19? The One dropped from 19 to 16 at close range. They could hit the pie plate last year but this year not even close???

I am not saying the winners are not great rods, it's the trashing he gives to some of the others. One rod has an 18 in one category and the comment is "very good, just not great" The Sage One is "OK, but nothing to get me excited" with the same score? How can one rod be very good and another rod just OK when they get the same score?

It is good entertainment but be sure to try before you buy and take that shootout for what it is; marketing and nothing more. There is just enough reference to fact there to make the shootout believable to someone that hasn't found that perfect rod yet, a beginner that doesn't know when to apply a grain of salt, and rich guy that just has to have the latest and greatest. And that of course is where the bulk of the money comes from in any sport industry.
Because catching fish has very little to do with selling fly rods.
Catching fisherpeople on the otherhand.... Its kind of like golf and shooting people think there are acurate guns and drivers that fix a poor swing. every one wants F1 gear for there amateur pursuit. Im good with that,more savings at the pawn shop or the grage sales come
summer.:-)
Old 04-28-2013, 05:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
Because catching fish has very little to do with selling fly rods.
Catching fisherpeople on the otherhand.... Its kind of like golf and shooting people think there are acurate guns and drivers that fix a poor swing. every one wants F1 gear for there amateur pursuit. Im good with that,more savings at the pawn shop or the grage sales come
summer.:-)
Yup....it definitely makes for easy pickens if one waits a while for the prices to come down. Half price is the mark I wait for...and it always comes