Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-30-2013, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinglover View Post
sorry, what i mean is i agree with u
Ahh sorry I misunderstood. All is forgiven.
I owe you a beer.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwackwabbit View Post
Ahh sorry I misunderstood. All is forgiven.
I owe you a beer.
The Sylvan Lake Legion has Richards Red on Tap @ $3.50 pint/during happy hour .... why do I know this ... I'm a member & work there, too!

.... ..... ... bwackwabbit's buyin ... Happy New Year!

Zip-Z

Old 12-30-2013, 09:30 PM

I don't always fish....
But when I do I keep the MAXIMUM
Old 12-31-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
all i will add to this thread is that i'm glad i live close to the nsr.
it is getting tougher to simply drive out to a lake near edm. for an enjoyable day outing. all the lakes are under pressure form anglers, algea blooms and winter kills. have to drive further and further for some good fishing, though wab. is always fun, and i still have a few good lake x's i go to.

in 2014 i intend to catch my first sturgeon in the nsr.
Hey man, I 100% agree, Screw the lakes, Hit the river !

LOl,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-1cB...ature=youtu.be
Old 12-31-2013, 06:28 PM

Default Incorrect information

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightdoor View Post
My friend make a phone call to wildlife calgary office today,get the answer:

you can go to GULL LAKE(keep 3Whites)and goto SYLVAN LAKE ,keep another 5Whites.
From the Alberta Fisheries Regulations
Possession Limits

17. (1) No person shall possess more fish of a species than the daily quota determined under subsection 16(1) for that species for the waters in which the person is fishing.

So, you could go to Gull Lake and catch and retain 3 whitefish.

Gull Lake
Apr. 1 to May 14 and Nov. 1 to Dec. 10 – CLOSED
May 15 to Oct. 31 and Dec. 11 to Mar. 31 – Walleye limit 0; Pike limit 3 over 63 cm; Perch limit 5; Lake Whitefish limit 3; Burbot limit 2 (Burbot limit 0 Feb. 1 to Mar. 31).

Then you could go to Sylvan and catch and retain two (2) whitefish at which time you would be at your limit as per section 17 above.

Sylvan Lake & tributaries – Walleye limit 0; Pike limit 3 over 63 cm; Perch limit 5; Lake Whitefish limit 5; Burbot limit 2 (Burbot limit 0 - Feb. 1 to Mar. 31).

If you went to Sylvan first and caught and retained five you would not be able to go fish at Gull because you would be two (2) fish over your possession limit.

Q
Old 12-31-2013, 06:34 PM

thanks for clearing that up. too many people with different interpretations of the regs. now we know

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 12-31-2013, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QIsley View Post
Possession Limits

17. (1) No person shall possess more fish of a species than the daily quota determined under subsection 16(1) for that species for the waters in which the person is fishing.

Gull Lake
May 15 to Oct. 31 and Dec. 11 to Mar. 31 – Walleye limit 0; Pike limit 3 over 63 cm; Perch limit 5; Lake Whitefish limit 3; Burbot limit 2 (Burbot limit 0 Feb. 1 to Mar. 31).

Then you could go to Sylvan and catch and retain two (2) whitefish at which time you would be at your limit as per section 17 above.

Sylvan Lake & tributaries – Walleye limit 0; Pike limit 3 over 63 cm; Perch limit 5; Lake Whitefish limit 5; Burbot limit 2 (Burbot limit 0 - Feb. 1 to Mar. 31).

If you went to Sylvan first and caught and retained five you would not be able to go fish at Gull because you would be two (2) fish over your possession limit.

Q
That's certainly the way that I've always understood it to be... and your post certainly makes it crystal clear. For me it was perch possession limits that I was worried about
Old 01-01-2014, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Possession Limits

Gull Lake

Q

Yes,you are right!!!
Old 01-01-2014, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightdoor View Post
Yes,you are right!!!
he should be right Hes the guy who will be giving you the ticket if you mess up

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 01-01-2014, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Possession Limits

Gull Lake

Q
Would you not be allowed to catch both limits provided you went to your place of residence and dropped off your catch between lakes?

Another example might be say I am fishing calling lake and catch my single walleye then go back to the cabin and drop off the walleye before going to orloff could I not legally catch a walleye at each lake as long as neither fish accompanies me from the other lake?
Old 01-03-2014, 08:02 PM

Well since the Fisheries Act does not define possession the next step is to check the Criminal Code which defines possession as:

Possession

(3) For the purposes of this Act,

(a) a person has anything in possession when he has it in his personal possession or knowingly

(i) has it in the actual possession or custody of another person, or

(ii) has it in any place, whether or not that place belongs to or is occupied by him, for the use or benefit of himself or of another person; and

(b) where one of two or more persons, with the knowledge and consent of the rest, has anything in his custody or possession, it shall be deemed to be in the custody and possession of each and all of them.

So the definition of possession combined with section 17, I think that according to the law it would not be legal since you would be in possession of more fish then the limit for that waterbody, even if the fish were not at the lake you were fishing, but in your possession at a different location.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:00 AM

Default This seems the most correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
Would you not be allowed to catch both limits provided you went to your place of residence and dropped off your catch between lakes?

Another example might be say I am fishing calling lake and catch my single walleye then go back to the cabin and drop off the walleye before going to orloff could I not legally catch a walleye at each lake as long as neither fish accompanies me from the other lake?
What would be the point of a Province wide maximum limit of 10 Lake Whitefish is you could only have the limit from any particular lake in your possession?

Catch your limit at Lake A but don't take them with you to Lake B if you intend to keep your limit from that Lake as well. Drop them off at home then go to Lake B and keep your limit. Just don't exceed 10 in total with what you have at home and what you have with you, or in "your possession"

That's how I interpret it.

Looper
Old 01-05-2014, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looper View Post
What would be the point of a Province wide maximum limit of 10 Lake Whitefish is you could only have the limit from any particular lake in your possession?

Catch your limit at Lake A but don't take them with you to Lake B if you intend to keep your limit from that Lake as well. Drop them off at home then go to Lake B and keep your limit. Just don't exceed 10 in total with what you have at home and what you have with you, or in "your possession"

That's how I interpret it.

Looper
x2

I stand corrected from my previous posts, F&W called me back on Friday and told me exactly this, they must be dropped off before hitting the next lake.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coors04 View Post
No. Why do you need to keep 8 fish in a day. Don't be so greedy and enjoy the sport. It's your kind of attitude that is destroying some of the lakes in Alberta and why so many of them are closed to keeping walleye. You also can't bring any kids that are not able to land there own fish so you can keep there limit also. If your goal is to kill as many fish as possible to eat through the winter/ save money then I suggest you get ready to face reality. Fishing in alberta is a sport that's why they are called sport fish. These fish are in are lakes reproducing naturally and are there to be caught for sport with enough for everyone to bring home a couple for dinner. If you feel the need to kill kill kill I suggest you look at what lakes are stocked by are government and keep your daily limit there. Don't drive to two or more lakes and try keeping you limit in all of them. SHARE.

Rant over.

Sorry if its harsh. Even if your just wondering think about it first and say to yourself do I really need to go to two different lakes and bring home 8 fish
Its an honest question. I haven't kept a fish in Alberta in 6 years but won't make a fuss at honest question. Your treating him like he is doing something morally irresponsible by asking a question. Maybe the gent is getting out once in a blue moon or is from a place where the limits and regs are different. I think you should consider an apology.