Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-03-2014, 01:45 PM

Default Underwater video, Clear Lake (south) Dec 30

So we tried it again, light and water conditions were a little darker but we had the base settings right. This time we just let the video run vs motion detect and what the whole run showed us was there were almost always fish around, though noon to 2 pm it did slow down a lot, but it was hard to attribute it to the time of day or the switch to a dead stick smelt. Ironically we ran out of camera battery just before we finally started to get hits on the tip-ups. we are thinking about putting the tip-up footage up but that is more of an exercise of frustration.

So here is skunkboy's next try.

http://youtu.be/q4i4Fd2_7Ng

We are thinking about adding this to the inventory so we can get down there at spray and I am not sure bu the dvr has 2 video in's but I am not sure about simultaneous capture of two sources.

http://www.basspro.com/AquaVu-MultiV...3052407013510/

Last edited by aulrich; 01-03-2014 at 01:55 PM.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:35 PM

Cool video...hard to gauge actual size but suffice to say very decent...I would have thought there would be more aggression from the sharks....We had a camera down at spray last year and it was clear as day...sk
Old 01-03-2014, 03:48 PM

very good video!

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:51 PM

Nice video, wonder how many if any of those great looking pike would have been legal at 100cm

What we need are camera's that can also measure the fish we are looking at.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:01 PM

Default Nice vid

Pretty lethargic , maybe oxygen dilemma ,
Old 01-03-2014, 04:05 PM

Or not hungry.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:09 PM

I have always found even though they bite very shallow, there still active and can catch fish all day long generaly size being 20-30" but have seen big fish come out of there bigggest being. 32lbs i think with the size limit of 1 OVER 100. CM has allowed us to have days were u we can catch these like that and have a better chance down the road to land a trophy 30+ lb fish
Old 01-03-2014, 05:08 PM

Nice video!
How far was the camera from your lure would you guess?
How deep was water?
Was there snow on the ice?
I'm just curious because I have a camera too. My screen was never that clear. I've only used it once, so I'm just getting used to it.
Thanks
Old 01-03-2014, 05:26 PM
Banned

NEATO!!!!!!!

Underwater cams are the Bee's Knee's
Old 01-03-2014, 06:30 PM

The tube would work much better without the spinner blade set up! Also, I recommend getting some jigging spoons, as opposed to using casting spoons.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:33 PM

remember its unlawful to :Use lights to sportfish unless the light is attached to a hook or line used in angling. This includes visible lights that are emitted by underwater cameras.

just a heads up

sorry wrong thread lol
Old 01-03-2014, 06:37 PM

Thanks for posting the video...Yesterday (Jan 2), AdverseCity and I were at Clear Lake and caught and released 10 (20"-30")...I caught 4 with a Buck-Tail Jig made by BBJ (http://bbjtackleandfishingadventures.com) from this forum...
Old 01-05-2014, 12:00 PM

Unhappy Tips for setting up the underwater camera

Awesome video. Do you have tips on setting up your underwater camera when you first use it? I have one as well but sometimes when I first setup, I can't seem setup the picture properly. Other times I can get it no problem. Last week, we were out on Chain Lakes Reservoir and couldn't the picture right. I tried adjusting the contrast, brightness and the dimmer and couldn't see anything. Once I got home and checked out the video, majority was too dark. The only good footage I got was a sucker checking up the camera up close.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:18 PM

With the CRT getting it somewhere dark is the best for setting the picture, we are in the process of converting an ammo box to be the camera box and have a cloth like the old time cameras to set stuff up. and also to have a shaded spot for it when the tent is not up.

If possible set the camera downhill and with the sun to the back or at least to the side, and unless the water is really clear 2' -3' seems to be max in most of the places I have been. but sometimes you can see a second lure out to 5. but we are finding it's best not to give the fish too much option at the camera.

Judging fish s next to impossible since the wide angle of the camera makes the fish seem much bigger as it gets closer. but the bit you can usually get a good feel. But sort of like deer bigger fish get rounder and saggy.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:55 PM

Thanks for the tips. What about settings of contrast and brightness when you first setup, do you put those on low or mid range? I guess it would it depend on the clarity of the water.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:41 PM

We muck with those settings every day and sometimes more, and it's easiest in a tent or with a jacket over your head so there is no glare. I would have to fool with it but I think with mine the video out is a raw camera feed and the contrast and brightness are for the monitor only.