Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-03-2014, 09:59 PM

I have only had the z71 and my homemade electric, zero issues with the z7110". The issue with the 12v was it hated a singe ripper 10", took forever. Double blade 8" and it tore through ice like butter.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
My Z 71 shreds 10" holes through 12"-15" of ice in seconds - they are amazing.

They are heavy to lug around - but I am going for that "chiseled definition" in my "guns" and going to be wearing a sleeveless shirt by the time ice season is over.

The only little finicky thing is the cord does not always easily retract back all the way and it seems that there is always a few inches left ......... not a big deal ........ but a annoyance.

A couple primes, throw the choke and usually 1 maybe 2 pulls and she fires up - even in minus 20 after sitting out in the wind all day or in the cold garage for a few weeks.

My guess is they have a few little issues with their retractor spring thing ....... but no big deal - easy to fix or replace.
Really easy to replace,

4 screws ontop, un do, Take off, and place new, re screw 4 screws lol. I never had an issue with mine not sucking the line back, Lets hope my new recoil in the mail does not do it like you say yours does ! Thanks for the heads up !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-1cB...ature=youtu.be
Old 01-03-2014, 10:27 PM

You might want to buy a good cordless drill that can be used as a drill for the rest of the year too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmoAjVZQjjA
Old 01-03-2014, 10:28 PM

I cracked the handle grip on my husqvarna. Left it leaning against the wall in my basement and it fell over. It still works just fine. Went to a husqvarna dealer in Spruce Grove and turns out I can get ANY part for the auger overnight. Pretty comforting knowing if I break anything crucial I wont be waiting weeks or months for parts. And everything is available.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:16 AM

Purchased a 10 inch Jiffy 4G in Oct 2012 starts with 1 or 2 pulls every time no problems at all
Old 01-04-2014, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianBadass View Post
I also found this helped a ton, 50:1 is the ratio, But making it a bit leaner, it has had no issues with bogging or anything !

And the issue I had with mine, wasn't really anything mechanical failing, just simply The knot came undone, and besides that its been flawless !
No I meant air/fuel, not oil/gas ratio, Mine was running under powered (for z71 it is), black spark plug, started with no choke at any temps) so I turned 1 bolt a bit and very happy with it now. Must be the altitude
Old 01-04-2014, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak-71 View Post
No I meant air/fuel, not oil/gas ratio, Mine was running under powered (for z71 it is), black spark plug, started with no choke at any temps) so I turned 1 bolt a bit and very happy with it now. Must be the altitude
Ahhhhh. I see, well it defintly helped mine lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-1cB...ature=youtu.be
Old 01-04-2014, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafter1 View Post
Purchased a 10 inch Jiffy 4G in Oct 2012 starts with 1 or 2 pulls every time no problems at all
Congratulations ........... I am happy your auger is awesome. So what is your augers problem?

Old 01-04-2014, 06:17 PM

Default eskimo

I bought the mako from costco a couple years ago it runs great no problem starting but last year it started leaking fuel. im not sure where its coming from but my guess is either the rubber grommet the fuel line goes through to the tank or the tank itself. I have been using the hand auger so far this season but thinking i better solve this issue soon 16 inches of black at cold lake really takes it out of you! Oh and seafoam! will cure most bogging problems, and take care of the nasties ethanol mixed fuel leaves behind in the carb.

Last edited by jaystev; 01-04-2014 at 06:19 PM. Reason: add on
Old 01-04-2014, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Congratulations ........... I am happy your auger is awesome. So what is your augers problem?

I would assume nothing.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:09 PM

I bought a Jiffy 10" propane last year and it has been great. I had to replace the line that went from the propane tank to the regulator as it bubbled the rubber coating at the regulator connection. It still ran fine but the fitting was over crimped. Had the guys at Dynamo small engine on Bonnyville order me a new one under warranty and all was good a week later.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:57 PM

My season-and-a-half old Eskimo Z51 is leaking during priming. Had to have happened over the off season, undisturbed while standing upright and drained of gas. It's working OK for now but I'll have to get it serviced soon. Not too happy about the situation. Someone might get an auger real cheap after I get it fixed
Old 01-04-2014, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtVandelay View Post
My season-and-a-half old Eskimo Z51 is leaking during priming. Had to have happened over the off season, undisturbed while standing upright and drained of gas. It's working OK for now but I'll have to get it serviced soon. Not too happy about the situation. Someone might get an auger real cheap after I get it fixed
after you drained the fuel did you run it dry? most likely just be the carb is gummed up
Old 01-04-2014, 09:01 PM

Yes definitely ran it dry.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtVandelay View Post
Yes definitely ran it dry.
well you took all the right steps then. still with such small engines it dont take much to mess up the carb, mght be a speck of dirt or paint that will cause you a head ache
Old 01-05-2014, 09:29 AM

Had a jiffy stealth st 2hp....pull cord and recoil mech screwed up in first season. then in 3rd season the Nuts holding carb assemble let go and we're sacked into the intake and destroyed the crank case....oh ya and the governor wind vane snapped off and went flying the previous season....

My new auger, a sthil bt121 is an incredible machine....with 1 big flaw....it doesn't get used enough this season!
Old 01-05-2014, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorne View Post
Had a jiffy stealth st 2hp....pull cord and recoil mech screwed up in first season. then in 3rd season the Nuts holding carb assemble let go and we're sacked into the intake and destroyed the crank case....oh ya and the governor wind vane snapped off and went flying the previous season....

My new auger, a sthil bt121 is an incredible machine....with 1 big flaw....it doesn't get used enough this season!
Another advantage of Stihl is if you ever did need parts they are available within days and no shipping.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:55 PM

Bought a brand new jiffy with a ten inch blade and it's the biggest pile of garbage ever the throttle completely broke off first time
Out sparke plug wire cracked and would start the air cleaner nut fell out and the off switch doesn't work half to the time and the blade freezes up when it's cold and doesn't cut after a hole or two
Old 01-05-2014, 09:08 PM
Banned

have an 8" swede bore

seems to stall out after about 18" of ice and the wife complains about tired arms.

go figure
Old 01-05-2014, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
have an 8" swede bore

seems to stall out after about 18" of ice and the wife complains about tired arms.

go figure
The newer models don't stall out as early and if your lucky easier on the eyes.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
have an 8" swede bore

go figure
I had one of those for 10-15 years. It fell apart first time out last year; and I figured it was time for a change. Got an Eskimo Shark, and it has been great. Starts 3 pulls or less every time.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor