Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-04-2014, 09:58 PM

Default Driving on Burnstick

Headed to Burnstick in the AM. Anyone been driving on? Going to access by way of campground on south side across dock.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:21 PM

I have not been out this year but was out last year. When i was out last year i tried to drive on where your planing on going and no one had been driving on there and i ended up going around and driving on the west side i think ( where the houses are. I'm not saying you cant drive on where your planing on going just suggesting a different spot that should have some tracks around there. I hope you have a great day of fishing. Good luck
Old 01-04-2014, 10:31 PM

I have gone on there a few times last year with no issue. Just not sure about the ice conditions thus far. May be best to walk on unless we are sure. better safe then sorry.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:17 PM
Banned

Cool

Poor driving, good ice .
Old 01-05-2014, 09:33 AM

We were at Burnstick yesterday Jan 4, 2014. Lots of snow and thinner ice. 11 to 12" ice, 2" of slush on top, then 2 feet of snow. Every hole we drilled flowed back about 3" of water on top of the ice. I saw one guy drive on from the houses on the west side (the road looked plowed on that side). Everyone else was pulling sleds on by hand. 12" of ice is a little thin for me to drive on and you'd want decent tires if you're pushing through snow with slush on bottom. I'd suggest a snowmobile.

We came in through the campground on the east side. The roads are passable, but slippery in some spots. There should be decent tracks beaten in by today. We didn't try to drive the steep boat launch, just parked up top and dragged our sleds down.

The bite was good. Probably 30-40 perch each, most pretty small. It was cold at -22°C plus a stiff breeze. Hopefully it warms up a bit for next weekend.

Last edited by markusbrainus; 01-05-2014 at 09:41 AM.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:35 AM

A friend of ours almost lots his truck there. Wouldn't recommend driving!