Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-27-2013, 06:28 PM

Default Can I keep 5whites(SYLVAN)+3whites(GULL)

Can I keep 5 lake whites at SYLVAN lake + 3 whites at GULL lake =8 whites???(in one day)
Old 12-27-2013, 06:28 PM
Banned

Don't think so
Old 12-27-2013, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Province-wide maximum possession – All fish kept from any lake or stream, from any Watershed Unit, count as part of the province-wide maximum possession that must not be exceeded. The maximum number of fish you may have, including fish at your home and fish caught under a special harvest licence, for each game fish species or group of species is listed below:

Trout and Arctic Grayling – 5 in total, combined of:
0 bull trout (native to Alberta);
2 Northern Dolly Varden (stocked in Chester Lake only);
1 golden trout;
2 Arctic grayling;
3 lake trout;
5 cutthroat trout;
5 rainbow trout;
5 brown trout;
5 brook trout.

Mountain Whitefish – 5 in total.
Walleye and Sauger – 3 in combined total.
Northern Pike – 3 in total.
Yellow Perch – 15 in total.
Lake Whitefish and Cisco (Tullibee) – 10 in combined total.
Goldeye and Mooneye – 10 in combined total.
Burbot (Ling) – 10 in total.
Lake Sturgeon – 0
Non-game fish – no restriction on the numbers kept.
Old 12-27-2013, 06:50 PM

This of course assumes you have none @ home in the Freezer/Smoker as they count towards your ten. So 8 is a go!!!
Old 12-27-2013, 07:17 PM

No. Why do you need to keep 8 fish in a day. Don't be so greedy and enjoy the sport. It's your kind of attitude that is destroying some of the lakes in Alberta and why so many of them are closed to keeping walleye. You also can't bring any kids that are not able to land there own fish so you can keep there limit also. If your goal is to kill as many fish as possible to eat through the winter/ save money then I suggest you get ready to face reality. Fishing in alberta is a sport that's why they are called sport fish. These fish are in are lakes reproducing naturally and are there to be caught for sport with enough for everyone to bring home a couple for dinner. If you feel the need to kill kill kill I suggest you look at what lakes are stocked by are government and keep your daily limit there. Don't drive to two or more lakes and try keeping you limit in all of them. SHARE.

Rant over.

Sorry if its harsh. Even if your just wondering think about it first and say to yourself do I really need to go to two different lakes and bring home 8 fish
Old 12-27-2013, 07:31 PM

I hope you have your fireproof underwear on coors. Some of us eat fish, we aren't all c&r killers.

If We drive 3 hours to fish and limit out in half an hour what's the issue with going to another lake?

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 12-27-2013, 07:37 PM

Not everyone goes fishing 20 times a month or keeps fish on every outing. Some may only go or keep fish once or twice a season.

Is there really a need to assume someone is a fish murdering glutton based on a simple question?
Old 12-27-2013, 07:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by coors04 View Post
No. Why do you need to keep 8 fish in a day. Don't be so greedy and enjoy the sport. It's your kind of attitude that is destroying some of the lakes in Alberta and why so many of them are closed to keeping walleye. You also can't bring any kids that are not able to land there own fish so you can keep there limit also. If your goal is to kill as many fish as possible to eat through the winter/ save money then I suggest you get ready to face reality. Fishing in alberta is a sport that's why they are called sport fish. These fish are in are lakes reproducing naturally and are there to be caught for sport with enough for everyone to bring home a couple for dinner. If you feel the need to kill kill kill I suggest you look at what lakes are stocked by are government and keep your daily limit there. Don't drive to two or more lakes and try keeping you limit in all of them. SHARE.

Rant over.

Sorry if its harsh. Even if your just wondering think about it first and say to yourself do I really need to go to two different lakes and bring home 8 fish
Feel better?
Old 12-27-2013, 07:40 PM

Default Colors

Thanks got your long winded opinion coors! Some of us fish every weekend ( maybe much more) and release almost all of our catch!, but if we feel like taking our limit of whitefish ( or any other species) for the smoker, we damn well will! See you on the ice!
Old 12-27-2013, 07:45 PM

Quote:

Rant over.

Hilarious
Old 12-27-2013, 07:51 PM
Banned

how dare you harvest fish!!!!!! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh
Old 12-27-2013, 08:01 PM
Banned

Quote:

Rant over.

Sounds like someone got a lump of coal this Christmas,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Which, btw, if you coat the coal with wax and put it in your ice hole, it will keep your hole open,,,, maybe not in your case, but worth a try.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:04 PM
Banned

Sounds like someone has whitefish envy.... buy some wireless bud and get your own. Pipe down.

Rant over
Old 12-27-2013, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwackwabbit View Post
This of course assumes you have none @ home in the Freezer/Smoker as they count towards your ten. So 8 is a go!!!
Huh?

How far through the digestive tract does the fish have to be before I can continue fishing....LOL
Old 12-27-2013, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nait Hadya View Post
Huh?

How far through the digestive tract does the fish have to be before I can continue fishing....LOL

Brilliant...
Old 12-27-2013, 08:37 PM

Default Lol

Far enough that it comes out the other end!!! But don't chew A lot that way when F&W ask about it you can still have proof of species!! Lol
Old 12-27-2013, 08:46 PM

No you legally can't Do that.

From the regs

Quote:
Daily Possession
The number of fish you are allowed to keep while fishing in one day is equal to the limit listed for each species or group of species at the lake or stream being fished, including any fish eaten or given away that day.
When you are fishing at any lake or stream, you may not have in your possession more fish than the limit, or fish other than those of legal size, listed for the lake or stream being fished.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:46 PM

Might wanna grab a copy of the Regs for bathroom reading. "Possession limit" includes all fish in your possession, not just on the lake.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:50 PM

I drive 3 hours also. If you limit out in 30 min then you got what you came for feel free to leave if you can't C&R. Stop trying to extract as much as you can I'm sure your the first to bitch when they shut a lake down lake Newell for example used to have great fishing till it got **** kicked. Also I have worked in fisheries in alberta and bc it's amazing what they do to fish and they survive. They put it to sleep as a fry stab it in the face and leave a wire tag in its nose very little die. They cut off its left or right upper jaw plate and 3-4 years later they come back. The people that say half of the fish that are C&R due and WRONG hell they even put brood trout to sleep in give them a needle and the live on and at the right time of year that can happen once a week until they are ripe. I have caught trout with treble spinners in the mouth healed over so don't tell me C&R fishermen kill more then lake hoppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I hope you have your fireproof underwear on coors. Some of us eat fish, we aren't all c&r killers.

If We drive 3 hours to fish and limit out in half an hour what's the issue with going to another lake?
Old 12-27-2013, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Might wanna grab a copy of the Regs for bathroom reading. "Possession limit" includes all fish in your possession, not just on the lake.
I am Very aware what the Provincial Possession limit means.

You Might want to read the regs. As they clearly state you can't be in possession of more fish then the daily quota for the lake your are currently fishing even if they came from a different lake.

If you have 5 fish from Lake "A" and the daily possession limit on Lake "B" is 5. You can not have more then 5 fish in your possession while fishing that lake even if they came from Lake "A".

Now if Lake "B" has a daily possession limit of 10 and you are still under your Provincial Possession limit you could keep 5 more.

Last edited by BBKiller; 12-27-2013 at 09:02 PM.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:55 PM

Default !!!

NOPE!!! CAN'T DO THAT!!
quote from fish in regs;
"you may not have in your possession more fish than the limit, or fish other than those of legal size, listed for the lake or stream being fished."
the closest you can do is get 3 at gull and then 2 more at sylvan.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:55 PM

Feel free to take you limit I do sometime also. But I don't keep my limit at one lake and leave to go get another limit on another on the same day. It's commen sense if you want to keep 5 whites go to sylvan. If you want a chance at some bigger whites at gull but the limit is only 3 then go to gull. Don't go to sylvan and take 5 whites and then drive to gull to take 3 more. That almost like asking if you can shoot 3 deer in each zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonedocks View Post
Thanks got your long winded opinion coors! Some of us fish every weekend ( maybe much more) and release almost all of our catch!, but if we feel like taking our limit of whitefish ( or any other species) for the smoker, we damn well will! See you on the ice!
Old 12-27-2013, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKiller View Post
You Might want to read the regs. As they clearly state you can't be in possession of more fish then the daily quota for the lake your are currently fishing even if they came from a different lake.

If you have 5 fish from Lake "A" and the daily possession limit on Lake "B" is 5. You can not have more then 5 fish in your possession while fishing that lake even if they came from Lake "A".
"Trip Possession
The number of fish of each species you may possess at the end of a fishing trip, regardless of the number of days fished, is equal to a 1 day limit for the water body fished and includes fish stored at home."

This would seem to indicate that he can in fact keep 8 if he so chooses as long as he does not have them all in his possession when he moves to another lake?
Old 12-27-2013, 09:03 PM

Quote:
"Trip Possession
The number of fish of each species you may possess at the end of a fishing trip, regardless of the number of days fished, is equal to a 1 day limit for the water body fished and includes fish stored at home."

This would seem to indicate that he can in fact keep 8 if he so chooses as long as he does not have them all in his possession when he moves to another lake?
Yes you are correct. He would have to take Fish caught home before heading to another Lake.

Also has to make sure that you are under the Provincial Max Possession including fish you may already have at home.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Feel free to take you limit I do sometime also. But I don't keep my limit at one lake and leave to go get another limit on another on the same day. It's commen sense if you want to keep 5 whites go to sylvan. If you want a chance at some bigger whites at gull but the limit is only 3 then go to gull. Don't go to sylvan and take 5 whites and then drive to gull to take 3 more. That almost like asking if you can shoot 3 deer in each zone
I see your point but who does more harm.... The local oldtimer that lives on the lake and takes a fish home every day or the city guy who gets out once a year and hits 2 lakes in one day?
Old 12-27-2013, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKiller View Post
Yes you are correct. He would have to take Fish caught home before heading to another Lake.
Agreed.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:14 PM

I see your point and really don't know how to answer that. The nice thing is chances are the old timer is eating his fish if he's only keeping one or two a day where some people that keep lots end up letting the get freezer burned. I guess what gets me ticked off is that if people could go to two different lakes and take there limit twice they would be asking if they could go to three lakes. I enjoy keeping whites and pike in the winter but don't understand the NEED to go to multiple lakes to keep multiple limits. I understand it may have been just an honest ( just wondering question ) but we should all be happy with just getting are limit weather it's 3 or 5 and being thankful that we were able to catch are limit instead of trying to figure out how to get more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
I see your point but who does more harm.... The local oldtimer that lives on the lake and takes a fish home every day or the city guy who gets out once a year and hits 2 lakes in one day?
Old 12-27-2013, 09:19 PM
Banned

Who cares how many lakes he goes to?

I can hardly see any difference between you and the guy you're criticizing.

My bet is you harvest more fish than him.

So, what is the real issue here?
Old 12-27-2013, 09:23 PM

You can go to as many lakes as you want. YOU CAN'T KEEP YOUR LIMIT AT EACH OF THEM ON THE SAME DAY. It's not about how many fish you take in a year it's about trying to take them all in one day. Anyone who thinks they will save money by going fishing hasn't fished very long

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
Who cares how many lakes he goes to?

I can hardly see any difference between you and the guy you're criticizing.

My bet is you harvest more fish than him.

So, what is the real issue here?
Old 12-27-2013, 09:38 PM

Quote:
You can go to as many lakes as you want. YOU CAN'T KEEP YOUR LIMIT AT EACH OF THEM ON THE SAME DAY. It's not about how many fish you take in a year it's about trying to take them all in one day. Anyone who thinks they will save money by going fishing hasn't fished very long
As stated earlier, some people dont have the time or money to get out more than once a year and are just trying to make the most of it. Nothing illegal or immoral here to see. Unless the fish are brought from lake x to lake y.