Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-01-2014, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
Lots of people miss seeing a school zone sign too....should they be sent off without a fine too? Honest mistake after all....
he knew he didn't have his licence ever went to the store and forgot your wallet? then drove back home to get it, cause that'd make you a hypocrite kind sir
Old 01-01-2014, 11:17 PM

Quote:
It is a loss of revenue for the province...he had you dead to rights and failed to follow through on established procedures. Cutting corners costs, he probably doesn't follow safety procedures either.
Did you ever get away without paying a ticket for anything? Do you pull cops over and demand that they ticket you?
Old 01-01-2014, 11:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskokagould View Post
he knew he didn't have his licence ever went to the store and forgot your wallet? then drove back home to get it, cause that'd make you a hypocrite kind sir
Thanks for the backup bro.
Man!!!! I can't count how many times I've forgotten my wallet when at the til.
CRAP!!!!.....seems to be a pattern......I need a nanny
Old 01-01-2014, 11:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
He could have gotten fined for not producing his license...ka-ching...that's cash on the barrel head.
Do you work for Revenue Canada????

If so????

Lose my number brutha
Old 01-01-2014, 11:21 PM

I find it hard to believe some of you guys are OK with this story.

It's the fish cop not doing his job that is the issue here. As the story goes he didn't even ask to see a license, for all he knew they were poaching without a license!!! That isn't an honest mistake, that is dereliction of duty. What is the point of paying his wage if he is just going to chat with people in the outdoors????
Old 01-01-2014, 11:24 PM
Banned

Quote:

It's the fish cop not doing his job that is the issue here. As the story goes he didn't even ask to see a license, for all he knew they were poaching without a license!!! That isn't an honest mistake, that is dereliction of duty. What is the point of paying his wage if he is just going to chat with people in the outdoors????
Don't you watch TV crime shows?????

Gut feelings mean ALOT!!!!!!

I joke....but it stressed me out.
He was cool and so was I......it's simple man.

Sometimes you gotta go with your gut feeling.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupincaster View Post
Don't you watch TV crime shows?????

Gut feelings mean ALOT!!!!!!

I joke....but it stressed me out.
He was cool and so was I......it's simple man.

Sometimes you gotta go with your gut feeling.
What you did was no big deal, but the CO not checking you out well that is another matter. I sure read a lot of threads on AO about the lack of officers and all the poaching going on unchecked. Well it's no wonder when the CO is out strolling and having nice chats with people and not even asking to see a license. Is this how he operates during the hunting season, doesn't bother to check for licenses or tags? Just has a nice chat and goes on a gut feeling?
Old 01-01-2014, 11:37 PM

Quote:
What you did was no big deal, but the CO not checking you out well that is another matter. I sure read a lot of threads on AO about the lack of officers and all the poaching going on unchecked. Well it's no wonder when the CO is out strolling and having nice chats with people and not even asking to see a license. Is this how he operates during the hunting season, doesn't bother to check for licenses or tags? Just has a nice chat and goes on a gut feeling?
I agree never been asked for licence in alberta, seen them a few times but usually walking by them checking someone else out
Old 01-01-2014, 11:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
It's a different story to check on poachers.
I had no fish in the tent.
The Bulls are C&R and Rainbows only 1.
My tent was clean and he looked around.
He even saw an empty baggy in my tackle box and asked if it was a bait bag and also asked to see it and read the label.
It was an empty Deer Hair bag for my fly tying.
Make no mistake.....he checked me out before the pleasant conversation took place.
AND....I'm glad he showed up.....lets me know they are out there and doing their job.
You gotta take down your Nazi flag and replace it with a Peace flag brutha
Old 01-01-2014, 11:59 PM

He must have been a real mnt giant bro. I'm glad you didn't get fined but bring it next time. You might not get as lucky twice brutha.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:08 AM

Quote:

Your taking this waaaaaay too seriously........
Old 01-02-2014, 12:42 AM

For what it's worth you don't have 24 hrs to produce a drivers licence or sport fishing license, both are to be produced upon demand and within a reasonable amount of time. Reasonable amount of time being the duration of the check.

WC
Old 01-02-2014, 01:08 AM

I was fishing the bow with a buddy last year and he had left his wallet with his liscense in my truck. A C.O. stopped us and looked at my license and when my buddy told her it was in my truck, she didn't bat an eye and punched his info into some futuristic handheld device. She looked at the screen, then at us, then wished us a good day.
My buddy has his PhD, btw. So he isn't just some lowlife hillbilly looking to screw the system. It happens to the best of us.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:40 AM

Quote:
He could have gotten fined for not producing his license...ka-ching...that's cash on the barrel head.
I've been stopped without my license on me at RDR. Gave him my drivers and the officer was able to look it up using that, no problem. It's not like he actually didn't have one. Your probably trolling with your idiotic comments but if you are not...I have other words I would prefer to use for you.
Old 01-02-2014, 05:12 AM

We were stopped on Battle 2 summers ago and my buddy didnt have his license on him. CO checked his win# to make sure he was licensed then gave him a 90$ ticket for not carrying it with him. He had left his license in the car at the boat launch.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:37 AM

Evinrude 9.9 are excellent for TROLLING!
Old 01-02-2014, 08:23 AM

I have fished without a license before, same type of story where I forgot it in my car or forgot my wallet at home etc. It happens to everyone and if you have travelled any distance you won't want to turn around and waste the day/gas money.

I didn't realize F&W were as anal as some people are saying, to me in this day there is no reason an officer can't quickly check to see if you have a license themselves. Yes you should have it with you but everyone makes mistakes.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:39 AM

I always make sure my fishing licence is on me before I go,its the first thing I pack, you would have turned around if you forgot your auger/rod/tackle , so why not your licence?.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:41 AM

This thread reminds me of a time fishing a tributary of the Nass for Coho, was a good run that year, schools of 10-30 fish going up this 20' river every 10-15 minutes all day we were there. We got just shy of our limit, lock jawed the hole up a few times throughout the day, finished our limit then buddy starts saying how he'd like to keep just 1 more. Ol lady said nope, my truck, my rules so we walked out, and there at the trail head was the CO's. They checked us for barbs, chatted about how good the fishing was this year for a bit. Never asked to see licenses, or our catch.

If you really don't have anything to hide, and you're open and upfront with leo's they're just people doing a job. Don't give them a reason to enforce anything and they don't have to.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 01-02-2014, 08:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanstroyer View Post
I always make sure my fishing licence is on me before I go,its the first thing I pack, you would have turned around if you forgot your auger/rod/tackle , so why not your licence?.
Huh???
Think about what you said for a minute or three.
Ding ding
Old 01-02-2014, 08:51 AM

i thought about it and...... my point is treat your licence like you couldnt fish without it. i understand you were not willing to drive, had you got a fine you would be singing a different tune.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:54 AM

Who care about the money the gov will just **** it away anyways. Missing a school zone is a hazard to kids in the area and proves your not paying attention while your in control of a moving vehicle. Forgetting a license is no big deal at least they can prove they paid for them and after all that's all that counts. Fish cops as rare as they are should be looked at as a positive thing not some hard ass that's going to pick you apart. He should have asked to see there lincence sure but if there's guys on a lake doing everything right chances are they have a lincence.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:56 AM

I wouldn't hunt without my license or tags....so why would I fish without one?

I have had to pack up and get a reprint at the nearest town on one occasion, it was my fault I left the license at home...so I fixed the problem by getting another one.

Now I do like some others and have several printed and signed in different spots so I am never with one.

LC
Old 01-02-2014, 09:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanstroyer View Post
i thought about it and...... my point is treat your licence like you couldnt fish without it. i understand you were not willing to drive, had you got a fine you would be singing a different tune.
Yes true
I see your point....and it's actually the first time I forgot my licence in 40yrs.
And that's why the point of this thread is....."would you chance this?"

Also....it took quite some time to make the decision. I almost went back home.
Yes I know I got lucky. I'm gonna make copies and keep one in my vest, wallet and truck to be safe.

Also....We tried looking for an officer before we started and tell him/her our situation first.

I didn't take this lightly, BUT, I also didn't take it as a huge offence.
I do have a licence....do you want me to post it?
Oh wait...it's in the truck and the wife took the truck to work.....sorry.
(just being silly now)

AND....sometimes being personable counts for something.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I wouldn't hunt without my license or tags....so why would I fish without one?

I have had to pack up and get a reprint at the nearest town on one occasion, it was my fault I left the license at home...so I fixed the problem by getting another one.

Now I do like some others and have several printed and signed in different spots so I am never with one.

LC
For one....I was an hour from the nearest town and for two it was a holiday.
And three....hunting licence and tags are a whole new ball game.
I wouldn't take that chance.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:07 AM

I was out at clear a couple of years ago and a CO asked to see my licence...I actually tore my whole wallet apart looking for it. He was good and called it in. Just as I was putting everything back in my wallet, I happened to find it

I always get my licence on line...one in the wallet, tackle box and truck
Old 01-02-2014, 09:15 AM

I used to carry my license in tackle box, now that I have 4 of them and don't take all of them it is tricky.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCats View Post
For what it's worth you don't have 24 hrs to produce a drivers licence or sport fishing license, both are to be produced upon demand and within a reasonable amount of time. Reasonable amount of time being the duration of the check.

WC
Unless the laws have changed....I'm gonna disagree with you.
About 25yrs ago I got stopped while driving and didn't have my wallet (licence).
The officer gave me a 24 hour "to produce" ticket.
The next day I went to the local cop shop and produced it.....the end.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:21 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Wow a testy bunch for 2014...
Old 01-02-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupincaster View Post
Unless the laws have changed....I'm gonna disagree with you.
About 25yrs ago I got stopped while driving and didn't have my wallet (licence).
The officer gave me a 24 hour "to produce" ticket.
The next day I went to the local cop shop and produced it.....the end.
That police officer was just being kind...they don't HAVE to do that.

My Wife was stopped last year without the new insurance pink slip in her car, the officer called the insurance company to confirm we had it and he still have her a ticket....he called the insurance company because if it wasn't insured it was getting towed.

That officer cut you some slack.

LC