Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-08-2020, 08:26 AM
Banned

My neighbour has a skunk living under his front step. He told me he named him—- “Kost-a-win”.
Old 08-08-2020, 09:33 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Moose View Post
My neighbour has a skunk living under his front step. He told me he named him—- “Kost-a-win”.
How old are you?..12?????
Old 08-08-2020, 09:40 AM

So the Stanley Cup final series will be played in the Edmonton hub. The cup will be won at Rogers Place and possibly celebrated in the Oilers dressing room. Now that’s 2020 in a nutshell and another typical fail for this team right there.

They need a couple stalwart D Men and a goalie. How many years have we been dealing with this club not having a respectable tender? It’s getting old.
The Kraut and Mcdangles don’t amount to much with all those flashy Hollywood points now does it? Laughable... But hey I could be wrong. Everything is going fine... glass is half full and all that jazz...

Last edited by 1899b; 08-08-2020 at 09:47 AM.
Old 08-08-2020, 09:59 AM

I dont think your too many pieces away. agree time for Smith to retire. so a 1a or 1b goalie, agree on firming up on D, but you need secondary scoring. Drai and McD cant do all the lifting. you have a competent GM, be interesting to see what he does in this short off season. good draft this year. all i wanted for xmas was an oiler /flames playoff , been way too long.
Old 08-08-2020, 10:05 AM

Ok.... I see the flames fans are still obsessing about my team... that’s a positive sign.

No TC..... not gon wear the flaming toilet seat..... nope

Here’s wut happened.......

We were supposed to be biggger than their D.... this means that Kass, Nurse, Chaiseon, and Neal should have pounded them guys and hurt a few players.... or at least made em wary

That never happened..especially Kass..... we got him for fighting and hitting.... he dint do that... I honestly think he was pouting not being on McDavids line.

If we banged em up.... we’d a win.

And hey... we hit a crossbar... missed 2 open nets so.... fate... meh..

I think Honey badger went back to playing AHL style hockey.... that hurt us cause we were counting on it.

Larson played poorly and he got injured..... That is a big deal right there.... he hurts guys in the corner .... that wasn't there at all.

We did better then last season.... I think us finishing with 37 wins hid a lot of stuff.... we were punching above our team weight. The Big 2 carried us farther than we should have gone.

I really do question the lineups....... I’m wondering if McDavid demanded better wingers.
Cause I can’t for the life of me figure out why that second line got broke up..... we needed a good Nuge German one-punch.

Twas a good season..... Wierd one but fun.... we progressed... we got a good coach and management team..... biggest take away is we have some good D and forwards that are coming up from our system.

The future is bright..... season was good.

On th bright side, I got nothing on TV that’ll pull me off the water or outta da bush now. That’s prolly a good thing.

And hey..... we also prolly won dat 50-50 so

I said I’d buy someone a chair on here... think it was Rig Rat.

I’ll also get TC a tex Mickey of sumpin jus fer fun heh.....

GO OIL!!!!
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 08-08-2020, 10:10 AM

Bessie I agree with your analogy. But when you say the future looks bright you have been pounding that drum every year. So starting today, when you say the future looks bright, are you talking 2 years? 5 years? or so so long from now that we need to hop in a Delorean to find out??
Old 08-08-2020, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
Bessie I agree with your analogy. But when you say the future looks bright you have been pounding that drum every year. So starting today, when you say the future looks bright, are you talking 2 years? 5 years? or so so long from now that we need to hop in a Delorean to find out??
Well going from missing playoffs to firmly planting yourself into a playoff spot suggests an upswing does it not?
Old 08-08-2020, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Well going from missing playoffs to firmly planting yourself into a playoff spot suggests an upswing does it not?
Not when you get handled by a 12 place team. We probably see things differently I guess....
Old 08-08-2020, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Not when you get handled by a 12 place team. We probably see things differently I guess....
A best of 5 series is a small sample size. Even a bit of puck luck can determine outcomes. It’s fairly common.
Old 08-08-2020, 10:35 AM

Had this covid thing not fell on us I think the oil would have had a better out come for the season.They've definitely improved.

Go Flames !
Old 08-08-2020, 10:36 AM

Default Whelp.....

Quote:
There’s the prob bud....

I will fearlessly predict at least a first series playoff win next year IF;

1. Honey badger turns into a legit pest-scorin machine.

2. We get solid progress on the D from Marody and Bear.... boy were in over their heads after the break.. we deployed Bear like a sure thing..... hes great... but he’s a rookie.

3. We get at least one other high prospect D to the NHL successfully...

4. We find a vet D somewhere.

5. That Detroit forward experiment pans out. You can see he’s a nervous head case that doesn’t believe in his own hands and feet....... he COULD pan out for us.... and we got the right management team to develop/tweak him.

I know that’s a lot, but if all those tilt right for us.... we go deep.

I WILL guarantee us a first round playoff next year.

I think honestly you can rest assured that we’ll make the playoffs for the ne t few years simply based on our 2 Big Boys..... and the big Finn goalie will improve as well.

Things we should do.

Hope Neal gets grabbed in expansion....

Find more willing grinder with hands forwards.

Let our young D shoot the damn puck from the point...... this is taught... and we don’t seem to be focusing on it.

Hey...... it took Ovie a LOT of first round exits to reach the promised land.

Cap space is an issue for sure now B/C of covid..... there’s gon be fire sale deals to be had.... an I’m betting some good players will be cheap cheap..!
Old 08-08-2020, 10:44 AM

Quote:
A best of 5 series is a small sample size. Even a bit of puck luck can determine outcomes. It’s fairly common.
Good thing these kids are playing in the seven game series era. I loved the sense of urgency and compete level the five game series used to bring.
Old 08-08-2020, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Good thing these kids are playing in the seven game series era. I loved the sense of urgency and compete level the five game series used to bring.
It’s more exciting and intense yes. But at the same, it’s too small a sample size. Even the senators can have a small streak at an opportune time. That said, teams like Boston can have a small stumble with detrimental outcomes. I wouldn’t mind best of 9 series. (More hockey for fans and less likelihood of the wrong team progressing.....)
Old 08-08-2020, 10:50 AM

Quote:
The Kraut and Mcdangles don’t amount to much with all those flashy Hollywood points now does it? Laughable... But hey I could be wrong. Everything is going fine... glass is half full and all that jazz...
LOL, with fans like you......the oilers would be better off without said fans. You're about the most fickle I've seen.

Imagine how the pens are feeling today. 7th place team getting whumped by a 24th place team. Laughable? Not really. That's hockey.
Old 08-08-2020, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
There’s the prob bud....

I will fearlessly predict at least a first series playoff win next year IF;

1. Honey badger turns into a legit pest-scorin machine.

2. We get solid progress on the D from Marody and Bear.... boy were in over their heads after the break.. we deployed Bear like a sure thing..... hes great... but he’s a rookie.

3. We get at least one other high prospect D to the NHL successfully...

4. We find a vet D somewhere.

5. That Detroit forward experiment pans out. You can see he’s a nervous head case that doesn’t believe in his own hands and feet....... he COULD pan out for us.... and we got the right management team to develop/tweak him.

I know that’s a lot, but if all those tilt right for us.... we go deep.

I WILL guarantee us a first round playoff next year.

I think honestly you can rest assured that we’ll make the playoffs for the ne t few years simply based on our 2 Big Boys..... and the big Finn goalie will improve as well.

Things we should do.

Hope Neal gets grabbed in expansion....

Find more willing grinder with hands forwards.

Let our young D shoot the damn puck from the point...... this is taught... and we don’t seem to be focusing on it.

Hey...... it took Ovie a LOT of first round exits to reach the promised land.

Cap space is an issue for sure now B/C of covid..... there’s gon be fire sale deals to be had.... an I’m betting some good players will be cheap cheap..!
I would leave Kassian unprotected for Seattle if that’s a possibility. Selfish penalties, selfish game suspensions. I also question his consistency.

I agree with all your points.

Everyone will think I’m drunk but I’d be all for trading Draisaitl if this club somehow got Lafreniere in the draft. Trade Drai for a couple seasoned and proven players be it a tender if available or a d man and winger. Still need balanced scoring and we all know the blue line needs shoring up big time.
Drai and Mcdavid with the rest of the players being bordering bubble NHL talent isn’t working. It’s been shown and proven. Because of the cap they need to trade big asset. There is next to nothing on the horizon coming up from the farm to help....
Old 08-08-2020, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
LOL, with fans like you......the oilers would be better off without said fans. You're about the most fickle I've seen.

Imagine how the pens are feeling today. 7th place team getting whumped by a 24th place team. Laughable? Not really. That's hockey.
I don’t think he’s an Oiler fan. Not when every third post he makes he reminds everyone he is.....
Old 08-08-2020, 10:55 AM

Quote:

The Penguins have had recent Stanley Cup success. That’s the difference. How long you wanna wait?? Fat don’t melt itself you gotta work at it. This team needs to trim the fat on the ice and build a club. Get r done already... lol
Old 08-08-2020, 10:57 AM

Quote:
I don’t think he’s an Oiler fan. Not when every third post he makes he reminds everyone he is.....
Just tired of mediocrity with no big moves to show they are trying. Spoon fed first round draft choices aren’t big moves....
Old 08-08-2020, 10:58 AM

Quote:
The Penguins have had recent Stanley Cup success. That’s the difference. How long you wanna wait?? Fat don’t melt itself you gotta work at it. This team needs to trim the fat in the ice and build a club. Get r done already... lol
Oh wow huh? So the 7th place team that lost the series to a 24th place team is actually a team with cup veterans on it? Crazy. That's even worse, thanks for pointing that out lol
They should look at trading one of either Gio or Sid. Foolish not to
Old 08-08-2020, 10:59 AM

Quote:
It's a head scratcher for sure
Old 08-08-2020, 11:01 AM

Ah...... I miss this

Good natured kibitzing amongst the fam base......

Brotherly luv an all.....

We should all be at a pub right now..... you boys are the kind of off kilter rascals my wife won’t let me play with much any more

I miss pub night
Old 08-08-2020, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Oh wow huh? So the 7th place team that lost the series to a 24th place team is actually a team with cup veterans on it? Crazy. That's even worse, thanks for pointing that out lol
It’s not. Pens have been a successfully consistent winning team over the last 10 years. We see things differently And I respect your opinion.

But how would you describe the Oil the past 10?

Draft picks squandered and a revolving door for head coaches. That’s what I have seen...
Old 08-08-2020, 11:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
So the Stanley Cup final series will be played in the Edmonton hub. The cup will be won at Rogers Place and possibly celebrated in the Oilers dressing room. Now that’s 2020 in a nutshell and another typical fail for this team right there.

They need a couple stalwart D Men and a goalie. How many years have we been dealing with this club not having a respectable tender? It’s getting old.
Will OEG put a banner up in the arena to recognize the 2020 Stanley Cup Champs? They put one up for Garth Brooks so non EDmonton performers have been recognized before.
After all, there won’t be another Stanley Cup awarded in Rogers Place in a long long long time.
Old 08-08-2020, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Moose View Post
Will OEG put a banner up in the arena to recognize the 2020 Stanley Cup Champs? They put one up for Garth Brooks so non EDmonton performers have been recognized before.
After all, there won’t be another Stanley Cup awarded in Rogers Place in a long long long time.
Like a Flames banner?? Lol.... that would be very 2020
Old 08-08-2020, 11:56 AM

How is there a club in the NHL that can't even operate a 50/50?
Old 08-08-2020, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trochu View Post
how is there a club in the nhl that can't even operate a 50/50? :sha_sarcasticlol:
lol.....
Old 08-08-2020, 12:28 PM

^^^^ so flipping flapjacks true. That 50/50 was a gong show raffle And still not resolved.

My take is after the Oilers win the refs went and called a tight game against the boys. You look at last nights game and compare it to the one prior,,, reffing not even close in consistency. Hey it’s better for the league to advance US based teams because if not, they would have lost viewers too.
Old 08-08-2020, 12:44 PM

With the 24th place team making the playoffs, and best of five series, the entire playoffs is nothing but a sham.
Old 08-08-2020, 12:49 PM

Quote:
They should look at trading one of either Gio or Sid. Foolish not to
Sorry, Pitts was the 5th ranked team and lost to the 24th place team.

Oilers were 5th place tam, lost in same amount of games to the 23rd ranked team.

Check goalie stats for Chicago and Mtl. Hmmm, Pitts played a world class goalie. Edmonton played a guy with a sub .900 save% and they have the 2 highest scoring forwards in the league. Laughable at best.

Oilers need a lot of help,
Old 08-08-2020, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
With the 24th place team making the playoffs, and best of five series, the entire playoffs is nothing but a sham.
I figured it was a sham before it started....but I've sure enjoyed it anyway.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone