Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-01-2012, 08:31 PM

Speaking of Timothy Mcveigh, how many people did he kill without firing a shot? Guns don't make killers, they are born or created, and a gun is just one of many tools. I'm all in favor of stricter licensing requirements. Yearly medical/mental health checkups, and you can own any gun you want seems fair to me. People that should be allowed to own guns can have whatever they want without society having to "trust" them to be good, and the crazies that really shouldn't have something that dangerous readily available will not be able to legally own/obtain them. Still leaves guns in the hands of the criminal element, but thats a whole other issue that really has little to do with laws as those they seek to control ignore them anyway. Banning something because of what it is capable of is extremely short sighted, and will have very little desired effect except robbing honest law abiding people of something they truly enjoy, whatever aspect that may be.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:58 PM

No, he used a bomb because he wanted to blow up a symbol of gov't, and kill hundreds, not dozens. The point is that crazy people have unfettered access to weapons that can facilitate the killing of too many people.

If that kook in Colorado would have had to stop to load his clip, then maybe some courageous person, or gun-toting citizen could have taken him down, or shot him. But the guy had smokebombs and the modern-day equivalent of a gattling gun. Something has to give. And don't tell me that the Founding Fathers in the US, when authoring the 2nd Amendment, envisioned the modern weapons, or violence of society that has come to bear in the last 50 years.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
No, he used a bomb because he wanted to blow up a symbol of gov't, and kill hundreds, not dozens. The point is that crazy people have unfettered access to weapons that can facilitate the killing of too many people.

If that kook in Colorado would have had to stop to load his clip, then maybe some courageous person, or gun-toting citizen could have taken him down, or shot him. But the guy had smokebombs and the modern-day equivalent of a gattling gun. Something has to give. And don't tell me that the Founding Fathers in the US, when authoring the 2nd Amendment, envisioned the modern weapons, or violence of society that has come to bear in the last 50 years.
The theatre didn't allow weapons. So the good law abiding citizens couldn't have fired back. If a nut job wants to massacre people do you honestly think he'll keep his mags pinned? It's already illegal to murder another human but that didn't stop him.

If he got drunk and drove his car through a crowd would you be in favor of banning booze and vehicles?

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 08-01-2012, 09:12 PM

Honestly folks, this conversation is a great one. So far no one's calling each other a gun-grabber, a leftie, or any other derogatory epitaph that just cheapens the talk. As a newbie whose had some opinions challenged and changed, these are my views.

These firearms are out there. I do not call them guns, assault weapons, rifles; they are firearms. The people who would prefer not to have any firearms in the hands of private citizens for whatever reason do not know or care about what distinguishes a .22 cricket or a kalishnikov. They want to tighten down regulations and laws and choke out the right to own firearms one little bit at a time.

This particular branch of firearms is getting a bad reputation. Misuse based on a few instances and their resemblance to military firearms has people questioning why we "need" them. That to me is a good question: why do we need these firearms? Most are useless for hunting. They resemble the firearms used in combat. There are quite a few questions that people ask.

Why don't we ask some of our long(er) range shooters why they need a larger caliber or a rifle capable of accurately hitting a target beyond what's normal in general hunting? Frankly speaking, if you're hunting only, you don't need a huge rifle to take the vast majority of game on this continent. How about why we need any caliber after a .308? It's pretty effective.

After a while, we're down to three firearms: a .22, a .308, and a 12 gauge. You can now pretty much hunt every animal in Alberta with these three firearms. Now that we've limited our choices to these, why stop there? There's too much unnecessary variety: all will be made by one company and you'll just have to make due until someone decides otherwise.

This is, I believe the slippery slope that we will be on and the people who want us to all hold hands, enjoy nature like it's a Disney movie, and have no firearms whatsoever will use our own arguments against us. They will, as in the case of the discussion of Booth baiting bear, use our own division and say, "see! Even in the firearms community there are those saying these guns are bad!"

These various firearms, more specifically the branch that are more "military" serve another shooting discipline, other then trap and skeet, other then black powder guys, other then target, silhouette, pistol, etc. there isn't a thing that I would hold back from these guys who want to target shoot with a "black gun" or practice and participate in a three gun event. These are valid uses of these firearms as is the guy who wants to add something different to his shelf and shooting time.

If you wish to add more restrictions, that's something we can debate. However going along and banning a firearm because some segments within our community are using them improperly is punishing a legitimate portion of your fellow enthusiasts who've done nothing wrong and is faulty logic. Quite a few similar comparisons exist but I won't throw them out there because they're so overused it's insulting to all our intelligences.

Punish the guilty, not the responsible ones.

Stupidity is taxable and sometimes I get to be the collector.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:15 PM

Quote:
If that kook in Colorado would have had to stop to load his clip, then maybe some courageous person, or gun-toting citizen could have taken him down, or shot him.
If you had read the news articles about the incident, you would know that firearms aren't allowed in the theater, so law abiding citizens would not have been carrying firearms, so your scenario could not have been possible.As for the time required to change magazines, are you aware just how quickly an individual can change magazines if he practises?
Old 08-01-2012, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapper View Post
Probably gonna get BBQ'd for this but here it goes. Frankly I see no need for high capacity magazines, nor do I see a need for assult style weapons. If they banned all assault styled weapons and high capacity magazines it wouldn't make any differance to us hunters who don't use either. I don't have a problem with certain guns being taken off the shelves and treated like restricted weapons. I have been hunting for the better part of 40 years and I have yet to see the need for an assult rifle with a +10 round magazine in the field. Assult rifles were designed with one purpose in mind that purpose has absolutely NOTHING to do with the sport of hunting.

Now I am in for it.
The problem , of course, with this type of stance, is that the next thing to go is bolt actions.
if you don't believe me you can look at the restrictive laws in countries such as Australia- they even outlawed 22 semi autos!
I could care less myself for AR type rifles, SKS type semis, or anything else for that matter that is not a single shot falling block (unless it's a match rifle)

BUT- I will defend the rights of those that want to own them, hunt with them, and shoot them.
Cat
Old 08-01-2012, 09:22 PM

Mag size limits idiotic, why is it more dangerous ?one type of gun more dangerous than another think not! Restricted. - non restricted who is the moron that dreamed this up . I swear to be a politician you check your brain at the door . I belong to a hunting club in town that preserves land for future hunting but nothing to forward the rights if gun owners
One is not much good without the other .I would like to see an ad put into the Toronto star , by a firearms association . What do we have to rely on but a one sided opinion from our so called media
Let's put some money together and take out ads that voice our opinions and our rights as canadians ,not swayed by poor media coverage that focuses on the wrong ideas.the recent Toronto deaths tragic yes but by whom no- one will step up gang related no one will talk to the police why a family member maybe go back to where you came from if that's how you choose to live your life , we didn't ask you to come. there has to be stiffer penalties for gang rated gun possession 10 years no parole on each count then we will see the s#%t storm . Anything but positive attitudes towards gun ownership relates as bad publicity for us all , yes everyone has an opinion but be careful what you wish for , it's a slippery slope. We have to act now to get the right info out there and cannot rely on our vote to do it , vote for who ,to do what , they are all idiots after there own agenda let's do like the USA and find someone and buy our way in .the end is nigh.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:27 PM

Mekanik you hit the nail on the head.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 08-01-2012, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I will defend the rights of those that want to own them, hunt with them, and shoot them.
Cat
As will I,

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 08-01-2012, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Probably gonna get BBQ'd for this but here it goes. Frankly I see no need for high capacity magazines, nor do I see a need for assult style weapons. If they banned all assault styled weapons and high capacity magazines it wouldn't make any differance to us hunters who don't use either. I don't have a problem with certain guns being taken off the shelves and treated like restricted weapons. I have been hunting for the better part of 40 years and I have yet to see the need for an assult rifle with a +10 round magazine in the field. Assult rifles were designed with one purpose in mind that purpose has absolutely NOTHING to do with the sport of hunting.

Now I am in for it.
While I have no personal interest in "assault weapons" I do believe that we all have to stick together.If the antis manage to ban the black rifles next will be handguns and then all semi autos(.22s,shotguns,etc.).How long will it take til they come for your "sniper rifle",you know the scoped .270 you hunt deer with.They have made their agenda quite clear and splitting gun owners into factions just makes it easier for them.I support the right of legally licenced gun owners to own pretty well whatever they please and the law allows......Monashee
Old 08-01-2012, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
If you had read the news articles about the incident, you would know that firearms aren't allowed in the theater, so law abiding citizens would not have been carrying firearms, so your scenario could not have been possible.As for the time required to change magazines, are you aware just how quickly an individual can change magazines if he practises?
Do you think you are the only person who can read? And do you think everyone obeys the signs at the theatres?

My opinion is, as I have already stated, is that we have struck a good balance in Canada with our current legislation, and the gun registry debacle that was just put behind us, shows that duck and deer hunters are not the problem. I'm happy with the progress that has been made.

Last edited by sns2; 08-01-2012 at 10:13 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Do you think you are the only person who can read?
If you read that firearms were not allowed in the theater, as myself and others did,why would you post the statement below?

Quote:
If that kook in Colorado would have had to stop to load his clip, then maybe some courageous person, or gun-toting citizen could have taken him down, or shot him.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
If you read that firearms were not allowed in the theater, as myself and others did,why would you post the statement below?.
I'm really not posting to be argumentative, though you seem to enjoy that.

Since when does everyone obey the rules? When was the last time you sped even though you saw the signs on the road?
Old 08-01-2012, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Since when does everyone obey the rules? When was the last time you sped even though you saw the signs on the road?
So now your argument is that a gun toting lawbreaker may possibly have had the courage and opportunity to become a hero, by shooting the murderer, and therefore saving the lives of innocent people, only if the murderer ran his magazine empty, and only if he was slow changing magazines? Is that really the best argument that you can come up with to try and support your position?
Old 08-01-2012, 11:09 PM

I agree we all must stick together, at this point I am not a pistol or "black gun" owner but ill stand behind those who do when the antis come knocking as I hope they will for me.

I can't see how mag restrictions can do any good, its all about how well you know your weapon. when I first got my A7 I had a of a time dropping the mag out of that.....then I got to know my rifle. If I took my .303 and put a round in one mag and 2 in anther, 75% of the time you wouldn't be able to tell witch one I shot first (going off time between rounds)

also can we try to get way from the term "assault rifle" no buddy here is talking about taking C7A2 out to the range I hope

NEVER get between Electricity and where it wants to go!
Old 08-01-2012, 11:54 PM

I recommend that some of you actually look at the material of the Coalition for Gun Control and what else we are up against.

Realize that after the "assault rifles" (illegal anyway(, semis and handguns they will go after your "high-powered sniper rifle". Make no mistake about that. These people have emotional issues with any gun whatsoever and if it were up to them you will be hunting with a single-shot rifle with a max range of 100m. I am not kidding and I am not exaggerating.

Secondly, if anybody could provide me with a shred of evidence that any form of gun control works I might be convinced to listen; there is no evidence.
People who are set on committing crimes are not obeying the law, simple as that.

Gun control is a reflex by people who have emotional reactions to guns in general and used by politicians who either have no real solutions or whose rose-coloured world view is collapsing in the face of the reality around them.

Case in point is the recent stuff in Toronto: nobody in their right mind can really believe that taking legal handguns from IPSC shooters or 22s from Olympic competitors will make one bit of a difference with the gang problems? Trouble is real solutions are very difficult to come by and will involve questioning cultural and social issues that nobody wants to touch.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
The great thing about democracy is we have the right to express our opinion. I am a hunter and I own several hunting rifles and shotguns, I am a trap shooter I own a trap gun I am a target shooter and own hand guns as well. I don't have a problem with registering my restricted guns and only use them at a range that is the law. I will restate my point I do not believe we need to be selling assault style rifles to just anyone, hunters and sportsman have zero use for a magazine capacity exceeding four rounds. Having said that I am fine with those guns being classified as restricted where mandatory registration is required. Using an assault rifle at a range classified as restricted works for me.

Sorry guys, I may be taking a differnt path with respect to this issue but I am never going to just jump on a bandwagon and support the masses. The gun ownership issue is complicated, in my mind I cannot justify why people need assault styled rifles and high magazine capacities other than taget shooting. Assault rifles are designed to kill people, they are not designed for game, and frankly with all the purpose built rifles designed for hunting why would anyone even want an assault rifle.

Now before the next round of burning me at the stake, this is just my opinion, you don't have to agree with me, but please respect my democratic right to my opinion. I will most certainly respect your opinion and your right to that opinion and I am not going to ridicule you for having your opinion. We are not all ever going to agree 100% on anything.

Respectfully
Why do you need 4 rounds for hunting? Seems to me one shot is all you need for hunting right? See where I'm going with this? AND...do you really need a 338 in Alberta? Seems high power "sniper rifles" like the 308 and 30/06 are not "needed" for hunting in Alberta. I would wager the bolt action "assault rifle" has killed quite a number more people in wars than the AR15.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:25 AM

Quote:
I wouldn't be opposed to see a little more control for that style weapon.
Just a "little" more control, huh? So just because you don't like that style of weapon, the government should wreck others fun by slapping down more controls? Nice to see that you don't think of only yourself.................

Any firearm owner who wishes for even a little more control over firearms is not helping the cause. When the government starts moving in like the predator it is and begins confiscating firearms, know that you assisted them in their efforts.
Old 08-02-2012, 02:28 AM

Talking

Quote:
The great thing about democracy is we have the right to express our opinion. I am a hunter and I own several hunting rifles and shotguns, I am a trap shooter I own a trap gun I am a target shooter and own hand guns as well. I don't have a problem with registering my restricted guns and only use them at a range that is the law. I will restate my point I do not believe we need to be selling assault style rifles to just anyone, hunters and sportsman have zero use for a magazine capacity exceeding four rounds. Having said that I am fine with those guns being classified as restricted where mandatory registration is required. Using an assault rifle at a range classified as restricted works for me.

Sorry guys, I may be taking a differnt path with respect to this issue but I am never going to just jump on a bandwagon and support the masses. The gun ownership issue is complicated, in my mind I cannot justify why people need assault styled rifles and high magazine capacities other than taget shooting. Assault rifles are designed to kill people, they are not designed for game, and frankly with all the purpose built rifles designed for hunting why would anyone even want an assault rifle.

Now before the next round of burning me at the stake, this is just my opinion, you don't have to agree with me, but please respect my democratic right to my opinion. I will most certainly respect your opinion and your right to that opinion and I am not going to ridicule you for having your opinion. We are not all ever going to agree 100% on anything.

Respectfully
Your opinion is just that but let me ask you this. Have you seen the R15 or the R25??? I would love to have either of these guns for hunting the R15 for predators (.223 .204) with 5 round cap. Or the R25 in .243 7mm-08 or 308 with a 4 round mag for deer. I can fit 5 in my midland arms 22/250 and 4 in my S&L 7mmMag. Guess why these 2 rifles R15/R25 are restricted because they "look" scary. So other then "looking" scary, Why are they restricted and Why cant I hunt with them?? RiiiIgggGHT, I forgot its because they "look" scary and are based on an AR platform.

The first successful yote hunt I had 4 come out of the reeds at the same time, a semi auto woulda been handy as the reeds were 60 yrds from where I was sitting, why cant I use a gun that can shoot more then 4 rounds for varmin??
How does it make you feel that I turned my SKS (you can get 20 rnd mags for em) into a tactical unit with a 5+1 uptop, And I plan on using it for my deer this year?? its a "scary looking" gun yet it is legal to use for hunting. the ONLY reason the sks is not "classified" as a restricted weapon is the ACTION PLATFORM!!!

The ACTION PLATFORM of the gun does NOT Depict the actions of the person behind the gun!!! I have heard of people being murdered with a cooey single shot .22 why arnt they banned because people have died due to being shot in the head with these. Its really simple, they arnt scary cause they only are single shot and a hunting rifle style.

The idea of a style of rifle causing crime/murders and other public outcries is FRIGGEN STUPID!!! How many states have handguns as a legal means of shooting game??? how many of those states where crimes are commited more with knives then guns???

Scrapper, knives cause more crime then guns do, will you be happy after we have to take our game to a facility to be processed after harvest because "knives" are dangerous?? Where do you draw the line??? Like I said the idea of banning/restricting a rifle due to the platform is stupid. Again my SKS looks pretty close to an ar and can shoot just as fast, I can also get extended cap mags for it and shoot FMJ rounds, fold up the stock, ect. How is this gun different from a R15/25, M16 or any of the other AR platforms????

I think this is more of a rant then a question, but if you could answer the questions I gave you with legitimate answers, that make sense, I will listen.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagalaz View Post
Just a "little" more control, huh? So just because you don't like that style of weapon, the government should wreck others fun by slapping down more controls? Nice to see that you don't think of only yourself.................

Any firearm owner who wishes for even a little more control over firearms is not helping the cause. When the government starts moving in like the predator it is and begins confiscating firearms, know that you assisted them in their efforts.
Look pal yes that is my opinion, and guess what it's not the same as yours. And yes I respect your opinion as you have the right to it. I am also a little less freaked out about the anti's than most of the posters here. While I respect their lobby as being a potential threat, I am not losing any sleep over it. Take Canada for example after an incident in Quebec we saw the formation of a long gun registry, we also saw the majority Conservative government campaign on scrapping the registry. The anti lobby was defeated and legal gun owners prevailed. However just for the sake of due dilligance could some one please post a link to the three(assuming there is three) top anti gun organizations operating in Canada today.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Take Canada for example after an incident in Quebec we saw the formation of a long gun registry, we also saw the majority Conservative government campaign on scrapping the registry.
And if the Conservatives are voted out in the near future, we could not only see the long gun registry return, we could see even more ridiculous regulations introduced.You need to remember that the large cities are the ones pushing for more gun control, and they have a great deal of votes. All gun owners need to support each other, or we will end up losing our firearms. It may take ten years, or twenty, but if we don't resist the best that we can, it will happen.

Quote:
However just for the sake of due dilligance could some one please post a link to the three(assuming there is three) top anti gun organizations operating in Canada today.
The three goups below, are the top adversaries of Canadian firearms owners.If either party gets into power, these three groups will make life miserable for Canadian firearms owners.

Coalition for Gun Control- which represents many smaller groups including the association of police chiefs.

NDP Party

Liberal Party
Old 08-02-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakker282 View Post
So you support Stalin, Hitler, the Kaiser, China? Need I go on? Every country that has banned firearms suffered or suffers from an extremely high crime rate, mostly in the sense of inhumane acts BY the governement or an outside force.

Do we have enough RCMP/Sheriffs to watch everyone, is the Armed Forces able to keep us out of harms way? No offence to the guys on here from either but they can't be everywhere at the same time.

Not sure if you've noticed but Canadas population is growing along with all the other countries and, as expected, crimes too. I wouldn't mind being able to defend myself and those around me, even you, from morons that play god by carrying.
I just knew sooner or later the idiots would make an appearance to this civil discussion. Now I am being accused of being a NAZI supporter. Actually it's good that this pinhead came on here and made these statements. It's a clear indication of how extreme some of the right wing nut bars are. Do we want people that would make statements so bizaar as this leading our charge against the anti's....honestly this is the exact guy that should not be in possession of a gun. This is the exact guy the anti's want to hold up in the public eye and brand us all with the lunacy of his remarks. This is the exact guy that makes moderates cringe, and distance themselves from more extreme gun supporters. So a big thank you to trakker for coming on here and showing us all just how an exreme right wing lunitic views anyone who in his mind has an opinion that does not support his agenda.

Wow
Old 08-02-2012, 10:17 AM

Quote:
However just for the sake of due dilligance could some one please post a link to the three(assuming there is three) top anti gun organizations operating in Canada today.
coalition for gun control - www.guncontrol.ca

Canadian labour congress - http://www.canadianlabour.ca/news-ro...g-gun-registry

Canadian Association of Chiefs of Police - www.cacp.ca

and for humour's sake, here's a link to one of their documents as to why we need registries.

https://www.cacp.ca/media/news/downl...pedposting.pdf

these are three in a hasty google search operating in Canada.

Stupidity is taxable and sometimes I get to be the collector.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
I just knew sooner or later the idiots would make an appearance to this civil discussion. Now I am being accused of being a NAZI supporter. Actually it's good that this pinhead came on here and made these statements. It's a clear indication of how extreme some of the right wing nut bars are. Do we want people that would make statements so bizaar as this leading our charge against the anti's....honestly this is the exact guy that should not be in possession of a gun. This is the exact guy the anti's want to hold up in the public eye and brand us all with the lunacy of his remarks. This is the exact guy that makes moderates cringe, and distance themselves from more extreme gun supporters. So a big thank you to trakker for coming on here and showing us all just how an exreme right wing lunitic views anyone who in his mind has an opinion that does not support his agenda.

Wow
Your reply pretty much just summed up the idiot comment. *golf clap*
Old 08-02-2012, 11:06 AM

Quote:

Wow
Wow is right. The gun grabber's love gun owners that will gladly give up their guns without a fight.

Enjoy the decline.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 08-02-2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:
....honestly this is the exact guy that should not be in possession of a gun. This is the exact guy the anti's want to hold up in the public eye and brand us all with the lunacy of his remarks. This is the exact guy that makes moderates cringe, and distance themselves from more extreme gun supporters.
I couldn't agree more. Many on this board, and others like it, feel the same way as us, but don't want to get insulted by others who are afraid of any point of view different from their own, and so don't post. Sad that people have to resort to insulting one another on a forum designed for reasonable discussion. Thread was good for a while.

The really unfortunate part is that moderate people, who don't personally own guns, but who are in favour of gun rights for responsible people, get scared by this type of rhetoric, and lump us all in the same boat. In the end, this makes them more willing to accept the views of the minority who want to ban guns.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
His post was no more ridiculous than you using the argument that a gun toting lawbreaker might have had the courage and opportunity to save innocent lives by shooting the movie theater murderer if he happened to be slow in changing magazines.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:

Wow
So in reply to my post you say you respect my opinions. But you call Trakker282 an idiot/pinhead/nut job because he has opinions that differ from yours.

So a big thank you to scrapper for coming on here and showing us all his true colors.

Nothing like outing yourself for everyone to see.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakker282 View Post
So you support Stalin, Hitler, the Kaiser, China? Need I go on? Every country that has banned firearms suffered or suffers from an extremely high crime rate, mostly in the sense of inhumane acts BY the governement or an outside force.

Do we have enough RCMP/Sheriffs to watch everyone, is the Armed Forces able to keep us out of harms way? No offence to the guys on here from either but they can't be everywhere at the same time.

Not sure if you've noticed but Canadas population is growing along with all the other countries and, as expected, crimes too. I wouldn't mind being able to defend myself and those around me, even you, from morons that play god by carrying.
Quote:

Wow

Wow!

Your inate desire to escalate until ejaculation has once again left a mess.

Nicely done Scrapper.

You might want to see the doctor about this condition. No self control, No guns for you.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:44 PM

Also thinks about a snipers percentage of hits vs semi auto.

Good snipers hit percentage is probably 90+ %

With a semi most guys just cut lose and miss everything.

So should they go after our more dangerous scoped rifles?