Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-26-2018, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
So you don’t have any either. Can someone please get me a list? The hate is there, there has to be a reason for it.
If I am looking for a hunting cartridge, I prefer a larger capacity case. and I for one, could care less whether it is a short action, or a long action.
Old 11-26-2018, 09:36 AM

Quote:
So you don’t have any either. Can someone please get me a list? The hate is there, there has to be a reason for it.
1. It's not any better than some 60 year old, special order only, obscure cartridge few have ever heard of;
2. It's new, I'm old and don't like new. The 6.5542x5.56 Normpua was good enough for my Grandpa and its good enough for me;
3. ......

That's all I've got.
Old 11-26-2018, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
1. It's not any better than some 60 year old, special order only, obscure cartridge few have ever heard of;
2. It's new, I'm old and don't like new. The 6.5542x5.56 Normpua was good enough for my Grandpa and its good enough for me;
3. ......

That's all I've got.
LOL. Pretty much.
Old 11-26-2018, 10:05 AM
Banned

Nothing wrong with the creedmore, but not an animal alive will know the difference, when its dead. Not a lot different than all the other 6.5s. The worst part is having the creed lovers talk how much better they are than the rest of the cals in that class.
Old 11-26-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
Nothing wrong with the creedmore, but not an animal alive will know the difference, when its dead. Not a lot different than all the other 6.5s. The worst part is having the creed lovers talk how much better they are than the rest of the cals in that class.
'xactly
Old 11-26-2018, 10:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
If I am looking for a hunting cartridge, I prefer a larger capacity case. and I for one, could care less whether it is a short action, or a long action.
My thoughts as well. It don’t bother me if I’ve got to buy a few extra pounds of powder it’s the ponies under the hood I want.
Old 11-26-2018, 10:29 AM

I could of gone the 6.5 route, but I didn't.

I like my 30's,,, and there's nothing special about them unless I'm plug a critter or attempting to hit the V.

Some times it happens, alot of the time it doesn't,,, yes,,, I have to bunker down more than the shooter beside me,,, but this is where we see the 90% factor of shooter to 10% of dialed in firearm.

A miss with a good cartrage is still a miss with a sub-par,,, the deciding factor in my $4!Ty shooting skills are the ones I own.

Like I mentioned, I could of gone the 223, 6, or 6.5 route,,, it didn't pan out that way,,, so I make due with the irons I have. Ha.

I can't wait to try some light boolitz that aren't suppose to work,,, hopefully I hit the 6 foot back drop.

Did you know that 400 to 800 meters is along ways away. Looking at things past that is hard on my eyes. LOL

Old 11-26-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Your preference for a bigger cartridge has nothing to do with it. At all.

-Billy Molls
Old 11-26-2018, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrongside View Post
LOL. Pretty much.
It’s painful to watch.

-Billy Molls
Old 11-26-2018, 10:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
It’s painful to watch.
More painful to hear.
Old 11-26-2018, 11:52 AM

If I were to find a "cheap" creedmore I would buy it just because, but in fact it will not do anything my .260 or 6.5x55 will not do..is it interesting ? yes, does it have a following? yes, does it win matches? yes, would I trade my other 6.5's for it ? No.

Like others on this thread I was praising the virtues of the 6.5 bullet long before the 6.5 craze hit. But now that the 6mm bullets are ballistically catching up to the 6.5. they will become the next darling. I predict they will/are winning more matches and become much more popular just because of the recoil factor, which was in part some of my reasoning for buying a 6mmBR for target work.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 11-26-2018, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Your preference for a bigger cartridge has nothing to do with it. At all.
So now you know why I choose the hunting cartridges that I choose? If you really can read peoples thoughts, you are in the wrong line of work.
Old 11-26-2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
So now you know why I choose the hunting cartridges that I choose? If you really can read peoples thoughts, you are in the wrong line of work.
My question doesn’t revolve around your preference. We are trying to establish facts, not feelings. You say it’s success revolves around marketing. What facts do you have that says it has no redeeming features allowing it to stand on its own? The easiest way to do that is to come up with a list of faults.

-Billy Molls
Old 11-26-2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
My question doesn’t revolve around your preference. We are trying to establish facts, not feelings. You say it’s success revolves around marketing. What facts do you have that says it has no redeeming features allowing it to stand on its own? The easiest way to do that is to come up with a list of faults.
You can't disprove that marketing was a huge factor, any more than I can prove that it was. And we know that many products fail or succeed for reasons other than their merits.
Old 11-26-2018, 12:54 PM

Quote:
You can't disprove that marketing was a huge factor, any more than I can prove that it was. And we know that many products fail or succeed for reasons other than their merits.
x10 on that positive statement,Chuck you want a list of faults we find with the CM,but no one has said it had any faults,so since you keep harpen the same tune please tell us it's faults,nothing is perfect so there must be one.Or do I have to call the AMAZING KRESKIN to look into the future for all hunters on what to buy.Hell he may own one.
Old 11-26-2018, 12:58 PM

http://www.65creedmoor.com/index.php?topic=5826.0
Old 11-26-2018, 01:51 PM
Banned

Curious, what marketing? People talking about it from experience or not...does that count? The thing looks to have grown on it’s merits far more than marketing, but whatever flavour to go after it next will be coming I’m sure. It’s like a witch hunt but there is no witch in this case. See what I did there?😉
Old 11-26-2018, 03:31 PM

Default Show the marketing please

I spend all my spare time, waaaaaaaaaay too much of it policing grownup children on this site, so I am not reading the magazines a lot other than Alberta Outdoorsmen. Many of you are saying the success of the cartridge is due to marketing. If so, can someone take screenshots or pics of the marketing of the 6.5 Creedmoor as a cartridge. Not saying it isn't out there, as I really don't know, but I would be very interested in seeing all the ads.
Old 11-26-2018, 03:38 PM

At the end of the day:

Creedmoor: Good - the new hotness
260: Good - Middle aged lady
6.5X47: Good - European middle aged lady
6.5 Swede: Good - Old as balls, like your great great grandma's friend - will still rock your world (my all time best group - 0.151" was shot with a Swede, 5 rds, prone with bipod and squeeze bag).

Last edited by sns2; 11-26-2018 at 04:37 PM.
Old 11-26-2018, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
I spend all my spare time, waaaaaaaaaay too much of it policing grownup children on this site, so I am not reading the magazines a lot other than Alberta Outdoorsmen. Many of you are saying the success of the cartridge is due to marketing. If so, can someone take screenshots or pics of the marketing of the 6.5 Creedmoor as a cartridge. Not saying it isn't out there, as I really don't know, but I would be very interested in seeing all the ads.
I think the marketing has as much to do with the yutube videos of sponsored hunters , Pro staffers and shooters as the direct advertising campaigns by Hornady themselves.
Advertising does not always come as a direct add in a magazine.
The fact of the matter is, it has done well enough that it is here to stay I think.
Cat
Old 11-26-2018, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Not necessarily ads by Hornady, but providing pretty much every magazine and long range shooting site with rifles and ammunition. It's all about getting them where people into the new long range shooting craze will see them. And Hornady did choose bullets with very high BC.s for factory loads which was a great marketing move. I just did a simple Google image search or the cartridge, and the vast majority of the rifles pictured are the high dollar military style long range precision rifles that the long range shooting crowd, and the want to be snpers are drooling over. These people want the rifles, and since it is shown chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor, they want it in this cartridge.

https://www.google.com/search?q=6.5+...w=1600&bih=764

Quote:
I think the marketing has as much to do with the yutube videos of sponsored hunters , Pro staffers and shooters as the direct advertising campaigns by Hornady themselves.
Advertising does not always come as a direct add in a magazine.
Exactly!If the Pro staffers, and sponsored shooters have them, and the long range sites are featuring them, the want to be sipers want them.
Old 11-26-2018, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Not necessarily ads by Hornady, but providing pretty much every magazine and long range shooting site with rifles and ammunition. It's all about getting them where people into the new long range shooting craze will see them. And Hornady did choose bullets with very high BC.s for factory loads which was a great marketing move. I just did a simple Google image search or the cartridge, and the vast majority of the rifles pictured are the high dollar military style long range precision rifles that the long range shooting crowd, and the want to be snpers are drooling over. These people want the rifles, and since it is shown chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor, they want it in this cartridge.

https://www.google.com/search?q=6.5+...w=1600&bih=764

Exactly!If the Pro staffers, and sponsored shooters have them, and the long range sites are featuring them, the want to be sipers want them.
Elk, this doesn't sound any different than any other new cartridge (i.e. RCM, WSMs, 26 & 28 Nosler). Maybe it is just a better round than the 308 for the average wannabe sniper who buys those guns due to the slippery bullets and low recoil. I have no skin in this game, I just think people should be able to sing the praises of something they enjoy without it causing a feces storm like it has on this forum. To be very honest, I think I can speak for all the mods in saying we are sick of all the arguing and complaints we are receiving over one cartridge.
Old 11-26-2018, 05:01 PM

6.5 Creedmoor offers no magic, but to say it is as good as the 6.5x55 is pretty high praise. It does well by cranking pressure to the max.
But, the 6.5x55 arrived 120 years ago.
I like 7x57, also arrived more than a century ago, but a game animal won't show any difference. 7mm08 is more of same, designed to sell new rifles.
Dead is dead enough.
Choose whatever floats your boat.
Old 11-26-2018, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskbooknut View Post
6.5 Creedmoor offers no magic, but to say it is as good as the 6.5x55 is pretty high praise. It does well by cranking pressure to the max.
But, the 6.5x55 arrived 120 years ago.
I like 7x57, also arrived more than a century ago, but a game animal won't show any difference. 7mm08 is more of same, designed to sell new rifles.
Dead is dead enough.
Choose whatever floats your boat.
Actually you are quite wrong about the 7mm-08. It was developed in Mexico by shillouette shooters who liked the 7x57 performance on targets, but because the law in Mexico prohibits owning rifles chambered in anything ever used by any military, it became necessary for them to wildcat a cartridge that performed like the 7x57.
And too boot the 7-08 will fit and function in a short action rifle.

There are no absolutes
Old 11-26-2018, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Elk, this doesn't sound any different than any other new cartridge (i.e. RCM, WSMs, 26 & 28 Nosler). Maybe it is just a better round than the 308 for the average wannabe sniper who buys those guns due to the slippery bullets and low recoil. I have no skin in this game, I just think people should be able to sing the praises of something they enjoy without it causing a feces storm like it has on this forum. To be very honest, I think I can speak for all the mods in saying we are sick of all the arguing and complaints we are receiving over one cartridge.
Look at the rifles shown on the link I provided. That sniper/tactical/chassis type of rifle , is what the want to be snipers are drooling over. Do an image search for the WSMs, or the 26/28 Nosler, and you will not see those platforms, because they don't normally work well in those platforms.
Old 11-26-2018, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Actually you are quite wrong about the 7mm-08. It was developed in Mexico by shillouette shooters who liked the 7x57 performance on targets, but because the law in Mexico prohibits owning rifles chambered in anything ever used by any military, it became necessary for them to wildcat a cartridge that performed like the 7x57.
And too boot the 7-08 will fit and function in a short action rifle.
And the Creedmoor was designed for competition. The goal was a cartridge that you could pick up factory ammo on the way to a shoot and with that ammunition shoot and compete. It wasn’t a marketing lightbulb, it was done right from the get go and as things that make sense do, it caught on.

-Billy Molls
Old 11-26-2018, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Look at the rifles shown on the link I provided. That sniper/tactical/chassis type of rifle , is what the want to be snipers are drooling over. Do an image search for the WSMs, or the 26/28 Nosler, and you will not see those platforms, because they don't normally work well in those platforms.
You can find almost any sporting rifle make chambered for the same round. A well balanced round suitable for a bunch of applications. That is what drives and sustains success. Kinda like making your own luck.

-Billy Molls
Old 11-26-2018, 06:12 PM

Quote:
You can find almost any sporting rifle make chambered for the same round. A well balanced round suitable for a bunch of applications. That is what drives and sustains success. Kinda like making your own luck.
Look at the pictures o the rifles in the link I posted. many are not sporting rifles, they are tactical/chassis rifles. They are a significant part of the Creedmoor market

Last edited by elkhunter11; 11-26-2018 at 06:21 PM.
Old 11-26-2018, 06:18 PM

Quote:
And the Creedmoor was designed for competition. The goal was a cartridge that you could pick up factory ammo on the way to a shoot and with that ammunition shoot and compete. It wasn’t a marketing lightbulb, it was done right from the get go and as things that make sense do, it caught on.
Chuck:
Please go re read who I quoted, and what I was quoting.....

You are a bit too willing to fight when there’s no fight......

There are no absolutes
Old 11-26-2018, 06:25 PM

Quote:
You missed my point. I listed the other rounds to say that rifles chambered in those cartridges were also sent to all the writers and crates of ammo were available to all the industry types at Shot Show,no different than the CM. I know that for an absolute fact because I watched videos and read reviews on all the cartridges I listed. From what I saw, they received EXACTLY the same push as the CM.

Also, I am still looking for all the"extra marketing" the CM supposedly received.

Maybe, just maybe, Hornady is scratching where people are actually itching with the CM.

Chuck asked for flaws. I know a thing or two about this, and I don't think there really are any; certainly not many. I think it is a good low recoil hunting round, just like many similar rounds.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk