Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-15-2019, 12:07 AM

Sweet looking rig. 😀👍
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 01-15-2019, 12:58 AM

I went to the gunwerks site and looked at your rifle ,one of the best features I liked was how the stock is made and I looked the way the grip is made to fit any size of hand,cool,along with the rail not sticking out tucked away .I never really looked that hard at one of these before ,but it's nice to check new stuff out and the more I look at it the more I like it.

I think you will be more pleased than you think once you fire it and do the beak in.
Old 01-15-2019, 01:17 AM

Happy for you buddy. You got the holy grail of rifles man.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:47 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Real purdy riffle you got there......hope it's a shooter

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-15-2019, 09:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastodon View Post
Happy for you buddy. You got the holy grail of rifles man.
Funny you say that, that’s exactly how I described it. I gave up a couple really nice rifles to get this one, rifles that I most likely will never be able to replace but I’ve alway got to see what’s around the next corner. I saw an opportunity and jumped on it. I really do think this rifle/scope combo will check off all the boxes on my list. The turrets on the scope look huge in all the pictures I’ve seen it in, but in real life it doesn’t look that big.

I honestly thought I would put a Zeiss V6 or a Nightforce ATACR on it because in the turret looked so big on the Swarovski in all the pics, but after being able to look through them while they were mounted on the rifles, and feeling the weight and balance, the Swarovski was just so much better it was a no brainer.

I’m pretty sure it’ll shoot fine, and I’m positive if it doesn’t I’ll be shipping it back.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
I played with them in the shop and the Swarovski felt way lighter than the ATACR 4-14x42 and 5-25x50, but it was the eyebox that was the huge difference. With both nightforce I had a hard time finding the crosshairs but with the X5i it was instant. I’m not sure if it’s how the balance is on the scope or what but the rifle felt a lot better with the X5i. I was convinced I wanted either the ATACR or the Zeiss V6 or Swarovski Z6i, then Marky planted the X5i in my head, and after checking them all out I’m so glad he did.

I’ll give a full range report once I put some lead through the pipe for sure.

I got the 4Wi reticle.
Damn I'm jealous! I have a Swarovski Z5 on my .308 and would LOVE to get an X5.

My brother has a Nightforce on his sniper rifle (he's a cop, ex-tactical squad with sniper training......he's still a backup/standbye sniper so got to keep the rifle) We were out at my local range last summer shooting and we swapped. What I immediately noticed was what you mention. It was harder to find the crosshairs on his Nightforce. Also, to me it was like looking through a straw compared to the wide angle view of my Swarovski.

Your reticle looks very much like the one on mine btw.

Sweet rifle!
I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***
Old 01-15-2019, 04:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
I recently decided I don’t need so many hunting rifles and figured I’d sell and trade off a few in favor of just one. Well there are a couple I figured I’d keep but I got rid of a few and bought a nice rifle/scope combo in 7mm rem mag and 3.5-18x50 scope with tactical turrets to shoot some long range steel and medium range game with confidence.

Went to the shop yesterday to pick out a scope out of a fairly long list of candidates. With a bit of insight from Marky Mark (of all people.... LOL!) and fortunately being able to look through the scopes I was interested in while they were mounted on the rifle I was finally able to put the package together.

This will be the first rifle I can consider a long range ready rifle, I can’t wait to get to the range and test drive the new turrets!

She's beautiful in every way!!!!
Old 01-15-2019, 04:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
She's beautiful in every way!!!!
When I first went to the shop and played around with one I instantly liked it. Then I went home and thought about it for about a week before deciding to get one so I called them up and said I’d take the 7mm mag. Not thinking that the 7mm mag could have a longer barrel than the 6.5 Creedmoor I was playing around with in the store. It wasn’t until about 2 weeks later that it occurred to me that it might have a longer barrel and not balance the same way the one in the store did.

Luckily when I went back I found out it was in fact the same length. They have a gently used one there right now with a 2” linger barrel that I was able to handle while I was there and I’m glad I got the shorter version. The rifles I sold were very nice for still hunting and I wanted to still have a short rifle that would be quick in the bush.

I should have the rifle here by Thursday and be able to really check it over, but from what little time I’ve spent messing with it in the shop there’s not a single thing I don’t like about it. I can’t wait.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:16 PM
Banned

You know they say that you can’t just own 1 hahaha
Old 01-15-2019, 06:20 PM
Banned

What a beauty! Congrats. Proof carbon envy
Old 01-15-2019, 08:45 PM

That looks like an amazing rig. I can't wait to hear how it shoots.

I'm also getting to the point in life where I am moving toward better toys instead of more toys. After all, how many of us have safe queens collecting dust.

I think that was a fantastic move on your part and some great choices.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
That looks like an amazing rig. I can't wait to hear how it shoots.

I'm also getting to the point in life where I am moving toward better toys instead of more toys. After all, how many of us have safe queens collecting dust.

I think that was a fantastic move on your part and some great choices.
I was at the point where it was either buy another safe or sell some guns and buy a good one. Safes are no fun. New guns are awesome!
Old 01-15-2019, 09:35 PM
Banned

Nice choice, great looking gun
Old 01-16-2019, 01:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
What a beauty! Congrats. Proof carbon envy
When I was talking to the fella that owns the shop he said he figures within the next ten years the market will shift to mostly carbon barrels. After owning and seeing how nice the Christensen Arms Carbon barrels are, I can beleive it. Carbon barrel, carbon stock, super rigid, super light, strong as kryptonite, I think it’s the future for firearms as well. After watching the Proof Research torture test video where the guy smashes a cinder block with the barrel, then screws it back onto the action and shoots a 1” group with it, it made me a believer. It’s like when Hoyt ran the Matrix riser over with an F350 then screwed the sight on and shot it.

I remember when Hoyt came out with the Carbon Matrix, it was a “fad” they said. I saw the benifits and had one of the first ones made. It’s been 10yrs now and look how popular they’ve become, Hoyt, PSE, Bowtech are all producing them now and they have become the highest performance risers made.

I hear Gunwerks will be offering the ClymR stock as a component for sale, you can build yourself a rifle with a proof barrel and ClymR stock, screw it onto a titanium action and have one heck of a rifle for about $5k.

Last edited by Kurt505; 01-16-2019 at 01:38 AM.
Old 01-16-2019, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Funny you say that, that’s exactly how I described it. I gave up a couple really nice rifles to get this one, rifles that I most likely will never be able to replace but I’ve alway got to see what’s around the next corner. I saw an opportunity and jumped on it. I really do think this rifle/scope combo will check off all the boxes on my list. The turrets on the scope look huge in all the pictures I’ve seen it in, but in real life it doesn’t look that big.

I honestly thought I would put a Zeiss V6 or a Nightforce ATACR on it because in the turret looked so big on the Swarovski in all the pics, but after being able to look through them while they were mounted on the rifles, and feeling the weight and balance, the Swarovski was just so much better it was a no brainer.

I’m pretty sure it’ll shoot fine, and I’m positive if it doesn’t I’ll be shipping it back.

I listen to the gunwerks podcast, and have poured over their website. Im not ready to put that kinda of money down quite yet. Ive heard some guys try to put them down. Haters gonna hate. You will have to report back after some trigger time, and field use. Id like to know how it stacks up against NULA, and other high end pieces. So jealous haha. I agree on shipping it back if you arent 100 percent happy with its performance.

Cheers.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem338win View Post
I would be interested to see what the total RTG weight is. Looking at it id say 9lbs and change.

Hows the knee?
You were pretty much bang on. Special delivery arrived today from Sylvestres Source for Sports, I can’t say enough about the great service I received from Mitch and Todd there.

Without sling:

With Sling

Couple more pics

Old 01-17-2019, 04:50 PM

Nice package. Im blown away that it weighs 5 ounces more than my Ruger Hawkeye 308 and 10 power scope, but it is capable of going farther in the 7mmRemMag and stronger scope. Thanks for the pics.
Old 01-17-2019, 05:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
Nice package. Im blown away that it weighs 5 ounces more than my Ruger Hawkeye 308 and 10 power scope, but it is capable of going farther in the 7mmRemMag and stronger scope. Thanks for the pics.
The scope really adds the weight. I’m going to take it off and weigh it, I think it’s about 30oz, about 20oz heavier than my Leupold 3.5-10x40, that’s 1-1/4lb extra. There isn’t really a whole lot of lightweight scopes with turrets and 18x magnification. I really like lightweight Hunting rifles, but this one is a lightweight long range Hunting rifle. I could get it sub 8lbs if I throw a Swarovski Z3 or Leupold VX3i on there, but the extra weight of the X5i is worth it on this rig.
Old 01-17-2019, 05:27 PM

Quote:
The scope really adds the weight. I’m going to take it off and weigh it, I think it’s about 30oz, about 20oz heavier than my Leupold 3.5-10x40, that’s 1-1/4lb extra. There isn’t really a whole lot of lightweight scopes with turrets and 18x magnification. I really like lightweight Hunting rifles, but this one is a lightweight long range Hunting rifle. I could get it sub 8lbs if I throw a Swarovski Z3 or Leupold VX3i on there, but the extra weight of the X5i is worth it on this rig.
Im looking forward to seeing some 4 or 5 inch groups on 1km targets. Thats the gun that can do it!
Old 01-17-2019, 05:33 PM

Kurt your gun looks like it needs an Edgewood rear bag to go with the bipod.
Old 01-17-2019, 05:53 PM
Banned

Not to call your rifle down Kurt because it is a fine looking shooting iron but I just weighed mine. Rifle,4 shells, 6500 bushnell, sunshade,Caldwell bipods,Sling and scope cap. Would you believe that it weighs in a whooping 9lbs 14.7oz.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:01 PM

How much does a loaded mag and the bipod add to the gun, scope and sling weight of 9 lb 2 ounces?
Old 01-17-2019, 06:03 PM

For Norwest Alta

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old 01-17-2019, 06:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
How much does a loaded mag and the bipod add to the gun, scope and sling weight of 9 lb 2 ounces?
This for me?

Thanks sns.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
This for me?

Thanks sns.
The bipod and ammo weight question can be for both you and kurt i guess. You are 9:14 with bipod and ammo, kurt is 9:2 without bipod or ammo
Old 01-17-2019, 06:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
Not to call your rifle down Kurt because it is a fine looking shooting iron but I just weighed mine. Rifle,4 shells, 6500 bushnell, sunshade,Caldwell bipods,Sling and scope cap. Would you believe that it weighs in a whooping 9lbs 14.7oz.
I’m sure a Mazda Miata weighs less than a Lamborghini Huracan, but lightweight is a relative term.

I’ve owned several ultralights and that’s not the reason I bought this rifle. This is a lightweight long range rifle, built first for accuracy, then saving weight anywhere that doesn’t compromise accuracy. If I’m interested in anymore ultralights it’ll be a Barrett Fieldcraft topped with either a Swaro Z3 or Leupold VX3i and it won’t be wearing a bipod. I’ve never hunted with a bipod before, chances are good the only time this one will use a bipod is on a bench.

I’ll load up some ammo and include the bipod and throw it on the scale for a comparison though.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:32 PM

Good looking rig Kurt.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
The bipod and ammo weight question can be for both you and kurt i guess. You are 9:14 with bipod and ammo, kurt is 9:2 without bipod or ammo
Full mag+1 shell,without bipod scope cap and sunshade she's 8 lbs 15.5 oz
Old 01-17-2019, 06:42 PM

For Norwest Alta... Butcher paper and surveyors tape. I love it.

Old 01-17-2019, 06:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
For Norwest Alta... Butcher paper and surveyors tape. I love it.

I’m hoping my 300yd groups look like that, or a bit better.