Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-14-2009, 06:02 PM

Default sporterizing a swedish mauser?

One more question for you guys, I got a swedish mauser (m96) in the cabinet and sometimes think about putting another stock on it, and mount a scope on it. The stock is so so, no matching numbers if I remember correct, but for the rest the gun is in good shape. I just dont seem to take it anywhere, and thought if I could make it a bit lighter and add a scope, it just may become a nice hunting rifle. I would not change the calliber though.
Have any off you guys done this??
How did you like the result??
What was the cost of doing it??
Thanks for all the info.

Goodold303
Old 02-14-2009, 06:05 PM

Done lots of them.
First question, is it the rifle or the M38 carbine?
The rifle will have a slower twist than the casrbine.
The carbine is the one to do up.
You can get aftermarket triggers, stocks, evrything you need to build a nice
aforadable ( depending on how much you paid for the rifle) for hunting.
Cat
Old 02-14-2009, 06:26 PM

Thanks Cat, as to your question, I do believe it to be a rifle, and it is built in about the mid teens, give or take a few years.
And as it seems that you have forgotten more about guns then the average green horn (me ) seems to know I got two additional questions for you,
1 why is the end off the barrle threaded on this gun.
2 underneed the barrle there is a (cleaning) rod mounted, but the problem is that the head is way to big to go through the barrel, is this the wrong rod, or is it something else??

goodold303
Old 02-14-2009, 08:11 PM

This is my Swedish Mauser M38.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg me 016 copy.jpg (57.9 KB, 162 views)
Old 02-14-2009, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodold303 View Post
Thanks Cat, as to your question, I do believe it to be a rifle, and it is built in about the mid teens, give or take a few years.
And as it seems that you have forgotten more about guns then the average green horn (me ) seems to know I got two additional questions for you,
1 why is the end off the barrle threaded on this gun.
2 underneed the barrle there is a (cleaning) rod mounted, but the problem is that the head is way to big to go through the barrel, is this the wrong rod, or is it something else??

goodold303
Yup, wrong rod.
The threaded portion is for a grenade launcher - and NO, you cannot put one on for flocks of geese!!
How long is the barrel?
Cat
Old 02-14-2009, 08:20 PM

Default Swede rifles

All the swede rifles model 96,38&94 have the same twist rate, approx 1in 7.8.
As for sporterizing your rifle, by the time you finish it may cost you more than buying one from Tradex all done up.
You may be further ahead to sell yours and buy one.
Take care Bill
Old 02-14-2009, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b72471 View Post
All the swede rifles model 96,38&94 have the same twist rate, approx 1in 7.8.
As for sporterizing your rifle, by the time you finish it may cost you more than buying one from Tradex all done up.
You may be further ahead to sell yours and buy one.
Take care Bill
The rifle has a slower twist than the M38 does, IIRC...
Cat
Old 02-15-2009, 02:04 PM

Yup, wrong rod.
The threaded portion is for a grenade launcher - and NO, you cannot put one on for flocks of geese!!
How long is the barrel?
Cat

I am not at home at this moment, so next time I am home, about the 26th this month, Ill take a look with the measuring tape.
If I am not mistaken it is built in 1917, and it has a straight handel bolt on it, does this perhaps help you any??
The barrel is longer then the stock. I guess this is all that I can give you at this point in time without the gun near me, sorry for that.
goodold303
Old 02-16-2009, 08:12 PM

Here is my little toy. I picked the rifle up at a gun show. someone had started a conversion, with the butter knife handle, but the stock was pretty ****ty, So I installed a low scope safety, reworked an old 96 stock, I had kicking around and mounted a Redfield scope. The muzzle cap was re-worked from the military and the forward sling loop is from a Ruger. It's lying on the wolf that attacked me, when I stopped for lunch. Not shot with that rifle though. I worked the stock dowm pretty thin[lots of wood to work with], but I'm going to have to put some kind of inlay over the marking disk hole. Incidentally, the threaded portion is for a blank firing attachment, not a grenade launcher. The Swedish blanks used wooden bullets and I believe it's function was to break them up. You can buy a cap that threads on there.

Grizz

Last edited by Grizzly Adams; 02-16-2009 at 10:25 PM.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:15 AM

To sporterize this rifle you will have to have the bolt turned down to allow scope mounting, the receiver will need drilling and tapping, the safety will need altering otherwise it will hit the scope to be put on safe, the trigger should be changed, the stock for all intensive purposes will be a detriment for a scoped rifle (chin weld vs. cheek weld) so yes a replacement stock is a good bet as well.

Good luck

There are no absolutes
Old 02-17-2009, 07:45 AM

The threaded portion is not for a greanade launcher, but for a blank firing device.... Many people believe this is for a grenade launcher as that is what the rumour was for 20 years.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACKLEY ABE View Post
The threaded portion is not for a greanade launcher, but for a blank firing device.... Many people believe this is for a grenade launcher as that is what the rumour was for 20 years.

Anywhere I can read abiout this??
I have never heard that it was for a blank firing device, only that it wasfor a grenade launcher!
The only thin I EVER used it for was "cut and crown " practise!!
Cat
Old 02-17-2009, 12:56 PM

Cat... I'll try and find a ref for you. I think I've got it in "Military Mausers of the World". Apparently it WAS used as a grenade launcher, infrequently, but there was a device that threaded on that was a "bullet Splitter". The Swede's had wooden bullets in their blanks and this device split the wooden bullet. LOL Makes for good cut n crown practice though.

I did one years ago (Article was published in "Alberta Hunting and Fishing" if you remember that mag) It was gonna be a "Trunk Gun". First ordered a nice stk blank from Don Robinson in Kelowna. Then I figured I should do something 'bout the step so we machined it down nice and tidy. Then figured might as while rechambre it to 260 Apex (6.5 x 57 imp) and swiss cheese the mag box. Well ...might as well put a Timney Gold trigger in it and put on a wizzy bolt handle.......Nice stock so got a guy to do a nice five panel checkering job on it. Drilled and tapped, put a Leup 3-9 x 40, fireformed 100 rds of brass and now it looks real purdy sitting in the corner.

Probably the most expensive "Trunk Gun" ever made.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Cat... I'll try and find a ref for you. I think I've got it in "Military Mausers of the World". Apparently it WAS used as a grenade launcher, infrequently, but there was a device that threaded on that was a "bullet Splitter". The Swede's had wooden bullets in their blanks and this device split the wooden bullet. LOL Makes for good cut n crown practice though.

I did one years ago (Article was published in "Alberta Hunting and Fishing" if you remember that mag) It was gonna be a "Trunk Gun". First ordered a nice stk blank from Don Robinson in Kelowna. Then I figured I should do something 'bout the step so we machined it down nice and tidy. Then figured might as while rechambre it to 260 Apex (6.5 x 57 imp) and swiss cheese the mag box. Well ...might as well put a Timney Gold trigger in it and put on a wizzy bolt handle.......Nice stock so got a guy to do a nice five panel checkering job on it. Drilled and tapped, put a Leup 3-9 x 40, fireformed 100 rds of brass and now it looks real purdy sitting in the corner.

Probably the most expensive "Trunk Gun" ever made.
Remember the magazine?
Hell I remember the ARTICLE

Last edited by catnthehat; 02-17-2009 at 02:29 PM.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:06 PM

lol...... That was me...making some dumb mistakes, but hopefully learning at the same time. I have an autograhed copy, wanna trade for a autograhed copy of P.O. Ackley's books? lol....
Old 02-17-2009, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Rember the magazine?
Hell I remeber the ARTI}CLE
I will have to look have all the copys that were produced
Old 02-17-2009, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVE View Post
I will have to look have all the copys that were produced
Don't be too hard on me Dave. I had articles in a few issues....but I was young then ......well younger.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Don't be too hard on me Dave. I had articles in a few issues....but I was young then ......well younger.
I also had a few articles in a couple of issues worked for the people that ran the magazine for a couple of years ( did the tackle article)
Old 02-17-2009, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Face it Abe , you "are" OLD
Old 02-17-2009, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauserman View Post
Face it Abe , you "are" OLD
if it is the same abe i am thinking of yea he would be old now. mind you gezz so am i now
Old 02-17-2009, 02:27 PM

Quote:
lol...... That was me...making some dumb mistakes, but hopefully learning at the same time. I have an autograhed copy, wanna trade for a autograhed copy of P.O. Ackley's books? lol....
Uh, NO!!
IIRC, you had some issues with the load on the rifle .
The load was accurate but the velocity was down till you changed powder right?
I was shooting a few of them at the time, one was a VERY accurate 6.5IMP done by JDS Precision.
Likely the most accurate '96 sporter I have ever shot.
Good , comfortable stock, speed lock cock on openng, Timney trigger.
All Butch did was take the military barrel off and set it back to fresh out the chamber a bit and lap things at the same time.

it shot 107 match kings like carazy, and 140's as well.
Cat
Old 02-18-2009, 07:48 AM

Quote:
if it is the same abe i am thinking of yea he would be old now. mind you gezz so am i now
LOL.... How come I feel like a real smart 28 yr old? Just don't bounce so good anymore.

Anyway, that's the thing with the names on this site.... We probably all know a lot of the people here, but not by their Forum names. I didn't know who Mauserman was until he baited me a few weeks ago, and I've known him 26 years off and on.

So....for the record. Ackley Abe = Aubrey (Abe) Suclin.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:42 AM

Yep that,s the Abe used to shoot that PSE w no sights and smoke two .packs a day shootin his bow.Good to here that you are around and kickin. This is Dave worked at the tackle shop older Dave not young Dave he is working part time at sh pk archery.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Yep that,s the Abe used to shoot that PSE w no sights and smoke two .packs a day shootin his bow.Good to here that you are around and kickin. This is Dave worked at the tackle shop older Dave not young Dave he is working part time at sh pk archery.

3 packs a day...quit 18 years ago. Dave Skednick??????
Old 02-18-2009, 10:11 AM

Quote:
LOL.... How come I feel like a real smart 28 yr old? Just don't bounce so good anymore.

Anyway, that's the thing with the names on this site.... We probably all know a lot of the people here, but not by their Forum names. I didn't know who Mauserman was until he baited me a few weeks ago, and I've known him 26 years off and on.

So....for the record. Ackley Abe = Aubrey (Abe) Suclin.
Howdy Abe!
BTW, I need my Bob Wollack book back!!
Cat
Old 02-18-2009, 10:36 AM

Quote:
3 packs a day...quit 18 years ago. Dave Skednick??????
This is him. me to quit about 12 years now.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:
This is him. me to quit about 12 years now.
WOW... Good to hear your alive and well and .....living in ahhhh Smokey Lake? You know Mauserman too, then
Old 02-18-2009, 11:28 AM

Quote:
WOW... Good to hear your alive and well and .....living in ahhhh Smokey Lake? You know Mauserman too, then
living in Edmonton on north side.Yes still have my property south of smokey lake that we bought in 83.Need a name for Mauserman.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:47 PM

I'll let Mauserman tell you. You know him.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:58 PM

Quote:
I'll let Mauserman tell you. You know him.
Sounds Good.