Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 04-29-2023, 11:24 AM

Default What your Pike set up

Im always looking for new ways to fish pike ( almost zero trout were i am )
I started fly fishing 3 yrs ago, so im still real green but iv had decent luck, with last yr being really dialed in.
I'll start with my set up. lets hear yours.
Oh yes, i strickly have been river fishing.

Cabelas rod, The synch 7/8
reel white river intruder 7/8
fly line 8 weight slow sinking
leader is just some 20lb mono 7 feet
titanium tippit with swivel clasp 1 foot
dark green or black wooly bugger. about 1 1/2 inch long.

well thats my set up. probably not perfect but does work and i get decent casts, well decent to me 35 to 40 feet out. most the fish i get are 15 feet or closer to shore so basically i cast into the fast water and pull into the slow, rinse and repeat. most the fish averge 4lb up to 20lbs. with one monster that i didnt have a scale with me but he was from my feet just under ribs in center of chest ( im 5.11 feet high ) and i had a hard time holding up for wife to take picture. well lets hear about your set ups, yes im looking for ideas to make this yr the best yet.
Old 04-29-2023, 01:58 PM

Similar set up except instead of leader/tippet (you are using mono/wire) I run fluorocarbon LEADER material - which is invisible, bite proof and more supple (at least on the tippet portion).

Same thing - usually run 8ft or so

I like using a nice streamer with weighted bullet head. Usually black and or black red which isn't a finesse or subtle landing fly - but Pike seem to prefer that it seems.

All of my pike fly fishing has been on still water and just for fun really. Best time is spring when you can see them laying in the shallows - super exciting for a novice like me.
Old 04-29-2023, 08:15 PM

Add something yellow, pike always hit yellow. Besides that you’re pretty much good to go. Mines pretty similar.

TFO bvk 8wt
Lamson guru
3 ft 30 lb fluoro leader
Floating line
Whatever god awful chuck and duck concoction I come up with.

Next step up is a 12 wt for monster bunny strip flies, but that’s like trying to cast an extension cord taped to a broomstick while wearing a helmet and waiting to get a high velocity piercing in the azz cheek. It works but it ain’t what I’d call fun. If you do this, pinch the barbs. At least your self induced humiliation will be private.
Old 04-29-2023, 11:33 PM

lol yes chuck and duck is definitely something iv learned on windy days. iv learned to side cast or do that D loop flip thing. only took a few hooks in my back to learn. ill try something yellow next time im out. havent experimented much after i discovered woolly buggers, might be time this year. thank you for tip.
Old 04-30-2023, 11:35 AM

I use a 2 piece TFO Signature Series 8wt, a Nile Creek reel (basically a discount Nautilus) and a Scientific Anglers multi-tip line. I'm still experimenting with leader material but have used RIO's pike/musky leaders with some success. I think flouro as mentioned here is a better bet and more economical though.
Old 05-07-2023, 09:50 AM

I have caught a ton if big pike and walleye on rods from 7/8 to 9/10 weights, my favorite being a a glass Heddon 8 weight that I got for Christmas over 45 years ago!
You can cast a small chair with an 8.5' 8weight, and hog a big fish out of the weeds with it without worrying about breaking it if it gets yanked sideways inder strain!
Cat
Old 05-09-2023, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcrossbow View Post
lol yes chuck and duck is definitely something iv learned on windy days. iv learned to side cast or do that D loop flip thing. only took a few hooks in my back to learn. ill try something yellow next time im out. havent experimented much after i discovered woolly buggers, might be time this year. thank you for tip.
You should look into converting your single hander to a single hand spey.

I had a 7wt 9'-6 pieroway element (med action) paired with a 360 grain airflow rage compact line. I was able to Skagit style cast 4" long double bunny flies with lead eyes from a stand still on shore probably about 40-50ft out and 60ft+ easily on lighter flies. You can still aerial cast too.

But I've long switched over to micro two handers and haven't looked back since. Being able to bomb big flies without and not having to chuck and duck is just awesome.

As for flies, anything big that has alot of action, bunny leeches, fluffy Wooley buggers, bow river buggers, dragon tails etc. If you tie your own flies learn to make your flies look big while keeping material sparse to keep the flies from soaking up alot of water. Believe it or not less is better.
Old 05-16-2023, 03:24 PM

Tfo esox 10 wt
Rio 10 wt pike fly line floating
Heavy leader (I don’t buy anything to fancy anymore 15-20lb ish)
20 lb fluoro to a wire leader, I make my own, braided stainless, rio wire bite is probably the best braided wire leader in my opinion, but does kink, what I find works even better is the single strand titanium leader material, rarely kinks, it’s a little harder to work with, and for some reason it has a bit of elasticity to it, knot 2 kinky is the brand I use.
Then a mustad rolling diamond eye swivel with and j-snap on one end of the leader, and rolling swivel with diamond eye on the other end of the leader size 14 for both
That is what use after years of trial and error, and also trying to keep it cheap.
I’ve caught thousands of pike like this, landed numerous pike over 20 lbs and 10 lbs plus walleye as well on that system.
Not sayin it’s right or wrong, just how I roll is all, hope that helps
Also, I’ve tried the fluoro leader thing, but I always get bit off

Last edited by chickensashimi; 05-16-2023 at 03:29 PM.
Old 05-17-2023, 08:48 AM

BVK 9WT
4 feet 80lb fluoro crimp loop on one side crimp snap on the other short leader casts nicer for me.
full float line flies are just half a pack of flash cut 4-12 inches.

"Theirs a fine Line between fishing and standing on the shore like a dummy" - steven