Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-05-2023, 08:16 AM

Default Good lake to test out a boat near edmonton

I got a boat recently from a guy on here , got it running but i want to try it out before i take it far . Where is a good lake for a boat to run close by ?
Old 06-05-2023, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolpete1 View Post
I got a boat recently from a guy on here , got it running but i want to try it out before i take it far . Where is a good lake for a boat to run close by ?
Wabamun
Old 06-05-2023, 09:08 PM

Coal
Old 06-05-2023, 10:10 PM

Wizard lake.
Old 06-05-2023, 11:36 PM

Default Any?

For a quick test run I would just take it up and down the NSR (North Sasky River) right here in town, no need to leave the city. Some pretty awesome views of the city from the NSR, especially through the downtown core. Go at dusk if you do, the lights are pretty cool.

If your not 100% certain of the motor make sure you start off going upstream.

Its a LOT easier to guide a dead boat downstream then try and paddle one upstream. Ask me how I know
Old 06-06-2023, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post
For a quick test run I would just take it up and down the NSR (North Sasky River) right here in town, no need to leave the city. Some pretty awesome views of the city from the NSR, especially through the downtown core. Go at dusk if you do, the lights are pretty cool.

If your not 100% certain of the motor make sure you start off going upstream.

Its a LOT easier to guide a dead boat downstream then try and paddle one upstream. Ask me how I know
I had a friend who did serious damage to a small outboard motor running it on the North Sask. River through Edmonton in the spring. Unless it has a jet I would stick to a nearby lake.
Old 06-06-2023, 06:31 AM

Devils lake near onoway is about 1/2hr from west end. It’s not bad in the early season.
Old 06-06-2023, 08:08 AM

Its a stern drive inboard , coal lake is close to me , didnt know there was a launch there .
Old 06-06-2023, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolpete1 View Post
Its a stern drive inboard , coal lake is close to me , didnt know there was a launch there .
I am assuming it's also a glass boat ...... so if it is ......... I would not go anywhere near the river. A heavy boat, that is not proven reliable, in a current, with a glass hull in potentially shallow water or drifting downstream without power is a really bad idea in my opinion. Like really bad.

Trust me when I say I know ...... I was once young and brave and done a few things the wrong way in my time and this could turn really really bad in a hurry. Try paddling a heavy boat in spring current trying to "make it" to shore and landing it where you want is a big task.

Wabamun has a fantastic paved boat launch in town (or at the park) and there's plenty of dock space there to pull it over to the side and make any adjustments you might need to do is she needs a bit of tuning or TLC.
Old 06-06-2023, 06:42 PM

Agree with EZM. Wabamun has a great launch and lots of dock area. Devils lake is ok but the launch is not great for larger boats.
Stay away from Lac ste Anne if you don’t know the lake. It can be murder on props and lower units.
Old 06-07-2023, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
Coal
And has a decent boat launch north end
Old 06-07-2023, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
I had a friend who did serious damage to a small outboard motor running it on the North Sask. River through Edmonton in the spring. Unless it has a jet I would stick to a nearby lake.
Back in the 80's we used to run a 12' aluminum up and down the NSR with a 9.9. Left the leg unlatched in case we hit bottom. Worked great with three of us and could just make it upriver when the cofferdam was in for the LRT bridge and the water quite swift in that area. No problem on the rest of the river going upstream. I'm assuming the OP has a much larger boat though so likely not a good idea.