Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-21-2007, 12:50 PM
jrs

Default Perch Methods?

I was wondering if anyone could share there lure choices for perch. I've been using bait hooks and small spoons with some success but wondered if theres better choices. I'm thinking of taking some youngsters out to Sherburn tommorrow and want to find them some fish (either there or go to Beaver Mines for Rainbows). Anyone willing to share suggestions? I have my underwater camera so can watch reactions of fish. How big of hook and what colors? Does everyone else just use maggots and shiners? I can tie up some jigs tonight if need be. Thanks.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:55 PM
Perch

Default Perch

Try and get the smallest blank (Bare) hook that you will fish with
Eagle Claw is good then get some 2 Lbs test line most important
the splite shot wieght it's as important as the size of the hook tie the hook on and put the splite shot
about one foot away from the hook now if your using maggots put one on only one
but try and hook it barely through the skin it makes them wiggly a little longer
I think if the perch are there the kids should stay close to there holes.I don’t know if they still make pink
maggots if they slow down on one colour change.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:08 PM
SNAPFisher

Default some things I do

Hi jrs.

The most consistent lures I have found this year are either gold or silver in color. Small hooks are definately better than larger ones. I have a small perch jig that is kind of a golden ball with the eye in the middle so that the hook sits verically always. Works great! Sorry but I don't recall the actual name....if I find out I'll report back.

Also, still wiggling maggots seem to get the tightest lipped perch to still bite.

Lastly, since you have a camera you can try to see what is working. Very handy. I often drop thump the bottom to get interest. If that doesn't work I slowly raise the lure up from the perch and they will often follow and strike.

Good luck and good fishing!
Old 02-21-2007, 05:09 PM
Ryanlookingforperch

Default Re: Perch

When I was young, my grandfather and I had great luck with this set up. I have tried alot of other methods. It still seems to work the best for me.

I take a small "GLOW BRITE" or geen&yellow combo. I tie it to the line, then tie a small weight about 6" to 12" below it. This lets me get it back down there FAST, and I find it keeps the line nice and tight. I also think that the weight is a bit of an attractor.

I have seen days where the big ones just were not bitting, but MAN what I would have given to have had a hook rigged to that weight (some big ones will go for only the weight at times, suck it in and spit it right out...)

As for the bait, I have never caught on minnows, but have seen guys catch JUMBOS on them.

I usually use a couple of maggots and tip it off with a small piece of a fake maggot. This seems to keep the real ones on the lure, and I find I usually can catch perch with the fake maggots and no real ones at all...though the combo seems to do the best.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:30 PM
jrs

Thanks guys. I'll have that stuff ready. I decided to let them decide what they want to catch tommorrow morning. trout or Perch? 8 and 11 years old so should have a decent attention span. Last time i took them out we had about a 10lb pike come up the hole and scare the daylights out of them. Should be fun. So we'll either be out at Sherburn or Beaver mines. I'm hoping perch will be chosen as there entertaining on the camera but trout may just be what they've been thinking about. I'll hopefully have a report and pics anyways it goes.

By the way, we used minnows at Sherburn lasttime and we actually caught mostly big perch. Action would probably be a lot better if the little guys were able to bite as well. Thanks for pointing that out.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:46 PM
Northern Hunting Mom

Wonderful way for you to get youth interest, I thank you.

Kids go for quantity, not quality so do whatever you can for numbers.

I know rainbows can be plentiful to catch at a stocked pond so either way, they should have fun. Keep the hook small and use something that doesn't take finesse to use. Take lots of pics and share if you can.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:01 PM
Hatfisher

Here in Southern Alberta I have had the best luck with a small Jig head with Meal worms. Can't keep the perch off them. Just my 2 cents on what I found to work best down here.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:27 AM
bigbore

Nil Hali chain droppers, still #1 with me. tipped with maggots.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:02 PM
vancouvercanuck

Default Nils

I'll second the Hali dropper. I put five maggots on mine, and can't keep those Perch off.

Example:

Old 02-22-2007, 01:32 PM
bigbore

Default Re: Nils

some nice perch going on there.

too many people look at the Hali chain dropper thinking its to big. Its the blade that attracts them in close.....then the perch zone into the bait dangling on the chain. Very effective.
Old 02-22-2007, 01:35 PM
RyanGSP

What does that rig look like? Where do you pick them up?
Old 02-22-2007, 02:06 PM
bigbore

to lazy to get the camera out, but i found a link with a picture of one

Click Here for Chain Dropper

they come in quite a few colors, and are available at the Fishin' Hole. Dont know where the SUkkula name comes from. Just ask for Nils Chain Droppers if phoning the "hole"
Old 02-23-2007, 12:46 AM
jrs

We ended up heading out to beaver mines (guesse perch will be next weekend if we can arrange it). The lakes fishing great. Just had the one youngian out as the other had to go to hockey but she had many rainbows up to the hole but ended up landing very few (helped out on a few as she was getting a bit flustered) Had three of us fishing and managed to catch seven keepers (between 13-15''). Better size than we've ever caught, not as many bites so it wasn't as exciting as it used to be for a younger fisher. Still had enough for a nice supper and you could not have beat the weather. We ended up catching about 20 over 5 hours of angling (between hot chocolates and various venison snacks). All were over 10'' which is very different. Road was getting sketchy towards evening and we barely got through the ice with my jiffy. Oh, also got to show her what a bull trout looks like as buddy got about a 16'' up the hole, nice healthy fish, lots of guys ran over to see it just as we let him go, no worse for the wear. First one i've seen landed ice fishing out there.

Thanks for the perch tips, we'll be making a trip to wholesale before the next adventure and will hopefully have up to three kids under 12 coming next time. Need to get more kids into it so i'm giving it a good effort.

Sorry, no pics for at least a bit, my camera's in the states being repaired (minolta shut down in Canada or something) and buddy was worried about the snow damaging his after the fish started biting (his excuse anyway) I may just go buy another, it may be months before my other one returns and i really like taking pics, especially when we're catching nice trout and what not.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:05 PM
Morbius131

Hey BB,

Did you pick up your perch rigs online or somewhere in Edmonton? If in town where abouts.

Morb
Old 02-23-2007, 01:55 PM
bigbore

ive always bought mine at the Fishin' Hole in edmonton.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:42 PM
Morbius131

Thanks I think I might run down there and grab a couple for my next hard water adventure .

Morb
Old 02-23-2007, 04:28 PM
bigbore

if you cant find any, i have about 10 of them so i can part with a few if you need them bad enough.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:02 PM
Ryanlookingforperch

just have to say, it's cool to read that people like bigbore will offer up their gear, to help a fellow fisherman out if need be.

I do have a question as well. I have been having pike take my line for years, while perching.

Do you guys use leaders while perching, does this spook them or do they even seem to notice? I got some halis today, you guys modify them at all, loose the chain through the clasp ever?

I am pretty tired of them pike taking the tiny lil hooks, then gone with line and all.

any pointers would be appreciated.

Good luck all

Ryan
Old 02-23-2007, 09:21 PM
RyanGSP

Ive caught them both with and without the leader. I use a leader myself for the reason you said. I got sick and tired of the pike stealin my little perch hooks.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:56 PM
jrs

My buddy emailed me pics from our succesful sherburn trip about 2 weeks ago. We used minnows and took most of the day to catch these (hence the thread when we were going to take younger fishers out). The tailgates a F350 and do you think the the one perch would almost classify as a jumbo? Not sure, biggest one i've ever caught.