Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-18-2021, 08:40 AM

Default What’s the worst stuck you have been and how did you get out

For me it was when I was much younger had a bronco had the top off and me and the boys went down to a party spot by the old man river. The river was low so we were having fun in the water until I hit a sandbar and got stuck and sunk in the sand to the frame. Had a couple of people try to pull me out and no luck. Had to get a ride back to town( this was before cell phones) find a tow truck willing to go the spot. When I got back with the tow truck he hooked up to my truck started pulling his front wheels came off the ground and his rear bumper was touch the ground, he said I can’t move you. He said get and and give it a little gas fortunately the combination of pull from the tow truck and and my wheels spinning a little was enough to pop it out. It was a costly day.
Old 01-18-2021, 08:57 AM

The jimmy Went down with no ruts. On the way back it started to sink. I punched it as every inch closer to firm ground may be important to how long a chain I have. It dropped to the frame. The exhaust was on some grass and that’s when i had to bail out due to the fire. It stopped ten y from a 90* turn in the bog. I left it in gear as I chained a tree and pulled it to the turn. Ruts were about 2’ deep and 100y long but I got it out.
Old 01-18-2021, 09:02 AM

Rig matts, snow bridge, a couple 7's, and dynamite to loosen things up
Old 01-18-2021, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Rig matts, snow bridge, a couple 7's, and dynamite to loosen things up
Remember our coworker needing two sixes to get his 110 out of the muskeg at Wabasca lol
Old 01-18-2021, 09:28 AM

Default Stuck!

Driving EID land in the county of Newell, just doing a solo drive in the late fall, looking for coyotes.
Hit an old flood plain, and apparently the fall had been a bit wetter than I figured. Before you know it, the sound of mud hitting up under the wheel wells of my 2 wheel drive coyote wagon. I figure I better pin it and get out of there, so more gas, resulting in another 100 yards further into the flood area before the axel is scrapping mud and dragging.
This was well before cell phones. It was a mile and a half walk to the nearest neighbor. Phoned home, got a ride and made plans for a freind to help me out the next day.
Buddy drives me out with his little 4x4 landcruiser and winch. We drive in as close as we think is safe, to make sure we have enough winch cable. Hook on the winch, and first thing happens is it starts to suck down the front end of his vehichle. "That's OK" says buddy. "Just give us better footing to pull with". He got to learn that route back to the nearest farmer as we walked out that night!
Next day, two more friends come out with two different trucks, coming in form two different directions, just to play it safe. Big souped up 4x4 units with lots of chain and tow ropes. Long story short; another long walk out to the neighbors, who by now I'm on a really good first name basis
One of our group calls out his dad to come pick us up. "Meet you out there" so we gather up some personals from our vehichles.
Dad decides to stay what he "thought" was far enough and high enough out of the wet zone. Glad he brought out comfortable walking shoes too!
By now, the neighbor is about ready to start charging us for the coffee while we wait for another ride. With five vehichles out there, it's do we go industrial/oilfield size help, or just put up a "used cars" sign and hope for the best?
This all happened long before Corb Lund even came up with the idea for a song, so I should go after him for copywright. God knows I had enough witnesses by then!
We decided to wait it out, and after another week or ten days, the prairie dried up enough to eventually get one after another vehichle out of there. One of those souped up 4x4 units was so far in from another direction, the only thing to winch him to was fence posts. A roll of 1" poly rope and a come-along, we litterally hand winched that truck the better part of 250 yards to dry footing.
That trip cost me a lot of whiskey bottle "thank-you's", but you really get to know who your freinds are too!
Old 01-18-2021, 09:29 AM

In a pick up it would have to be my dry lake bed stuck. I was out a long way from shore. Had a new gal with me so yeah, enough said. Everything was fine and then the sinking feeling. Oh no. Maybe I can back out of this. Diffs were nearly at the dried loon s**t already. Turned the tires and straight down I went. Right to the rocker panels on a truck with a 6” lift and 35” boots. I was done. Called a buddy. He shows up with his square body GMC on 38” boots and a 454 4spd. I don’t know how many feet of slings we strung to keep him on hard stuff but it was a lot. When he started pulling I wouldn’t come up and out. Just dragging gear in the slop. So we repositioned and hooked him on the front. I kept the tires just turning and he rotated me 180 degrees so I was facing him before I nailed it and finally came up and out. They weren’t even what I’d call ruts anymore. Just trenches.
Old 01-18-2021, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.J View Post
Remember our coworker needing two sixes to get his 110 out of the muskeg at Wabasca lol
Pelican Lake by chance?
Old 01-18-2021, 09:34 AM

We got stuck one night in lloydminster on the train trestle over highway 16.
Don’t worry there was lots of alcohol involved.

Got royally stuck in Brightsands lake one night, once you spin your tires in sand you’re finished.
Lots and lots of alcohol imvolved that time.

Then there was a night north of Lloydminster.... it had blown and drifted and we were driving a road allowance. We came up over a hill and the drift was about a mile long, I said “stop” but buddy must have heard “ punch it.” 🙄
Luckily even though our case of beer was depleted we did have a bottle of peppermint schnapps behind the seat to fortify us for the night until we could walk out for help.
Old 01-18-2021, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.J View Post
Still have the pictures actually lol
Old 01-18-2021, 09:44 AM

3/4 ton 4x4 truck in deep mud. Strapped two 2x4s to the back wheels with all the tie downs I had. The 2x4s acted like stilts to get me back out. Only had to go 30yds or so. Ripped the flares off the fenders but I got out. This was before cell phone days. And I was a long ways from any where...since then I always carry a 10k winch, pul pal anchor, chain, 40' tow strap, high lift, and wheel jack for the high lift. Often a come along under the seat as well as a set if track grabbers and tire chains. Haven't been in any situation I couldn't Get out of easily since...and I have been burried to the axles lol.

As 90% of the time I roll solo even on my atv I pack a lot of recovery equipment. Be prepared is my motto
Old 01-18-2021, 09:53 AM

As a teen, drove my VW into a mud hole on Flat Creek, which turned out to be much deeper than expected. Hiked and hitch hiked back to Longview for a tow truck. In the mean time, somebody had pulled the car out. For months after, every time i turned the heater on, there'd be a mist of brown dirt particles. The tell me those things would float, came close to it.

About the same time, I spent a summer at Jean D'or Prairie, east of Ft. Vermillion. The road was just a dirt trail of that sticky northern Alberta clay and we were constantly stuck. Not even 4x4, so we carried a couple of fence posts, some No. 9 wire, a sledge hammer, and a come along, to build a dead man for winching off. It rained a lot that summer.

Grizz

Last edited by Grizzly Adams; 01-18-2021 at 10:00 AM.
Old 01-18-2021, 09:56 AM

Almost 35 years ago we were north on the old winter road prior to freeze up. That country is sandy, but it has some long stretches of wet bog and quite a few river, beaver damn crossings. We were siting roasting some sausage for lunch when we heard the sounds of a vehicle at wide open throttle just a hammering up the trail, then all of a sudden a huge bang and silence. Well we finished lunch, got back in my Landcruiser and headed back down the old road towards the sound. About a half mile up we find a one ton crew cab Ford with an 11 foot camper stopped in the middle of the beaver dam/crossing. How they got that rig that far back in there we couldn't figure out. We got out to have a look and find two guys, so drunk they could barely stand, sitting on the far side looking at the truck. Long story short, they had tried to power speed it through the 3 feet of water and ended up punching a 6 inch poplar up through the floor boards between the driver and passenger, and out through the roof. The truck was impaled on the log and sitting in three feet of water. They were lucky neither of them got more than bumps and bruises. A foot either way and one guy would have been dead.

We worked for two days to get them extracted from that predicament. After cutting away as much of the poplar inside the cab as we could, wasn't possible to get under the truck because of the water, we had to chain my Landcruiser to a large pine tree, then snatch block a 12,000 pounnd warn to the Ford to pull it out backwards, the way it went in. It was the only way to pull it back off the remaining part of the log that had skewered it. Given the level of stupidity, should have probably just left them to their own devices but you know full well no one else is coming that far back in the get them out of there.

I have been stuck, and bad, many times personally. We always had the winches, shovels, chains or whatever else was needed to get out; though there was one trip that took us 4 days of winching, digging and sweat to get back out after a massive downpour hit when we were back in about 20 miles down really rough trails. I now tend to take the quad when the roads get that bad.
Old 01-18-2021, 09:57 AM

About 14 years ago I was doing winter seismic up around Fort Mac area (staying at Conklin camp) and was doing night time trouble shooting/warm ups for the shooters.

Couple of the ice roads were poorly marked and ended up busting through the ice into the muskeg. Ended up going out the window and they pulled it out the next morning with a Cat. Got stuck a lot up there but that was one I never had a chance of getting out!
Old 01-18-2021, 09:59 AM

Did 2 full slow motion rolls with my landcruiser and landed her on her side on the ice wedged against a beaver dam. Lucky there was a D6 near by.

The year before that, same area, was "cutting across" some "frozen" muskeg and pretty much right in the middle it wasn't "frozen" ….. that sucked, not a tree withing 200 yards, had to cut a A frame and lift/winch my way out one hop at a time. She was buried so deep, I had to roll down the windows and duke boys my out of the vehicle as we were sunk past the bottom of the doors and 6-8" above that.
Old 01-18-2021, 10:03 AM
Banned

Was about 20 (many years ago, before cell phones) got stuck in a snowbank at about 2AM with my girlfriend (don't ask what we were doing ), on a country road just north of Spruce Grove...winter about -20.
There was a farm about 1/2 mile away that we walked to. Got there and were freezing. Started to open the gate when two dobermans ran up to the gate barking.
Girlfriend was so cold she said she didn't care what the dogs might do, she was going in.
In all my infinite wisdom I thought she was not thinking straight, and having watched too many movies decided what she needed was a nice slap to bring her to here senses.
WOW...was that a mistake
Luckily the dogs wakened the home owner, he let us use the phone to call someone to come get us...but I was in the doghouse for weeks because of the slap!!
Old 01-18-2021, 10:03 AM

Working on seismic by White court I followed a trail up a steep hill in a Ford 3/4 ton 4x4, the trail had been cut by a D-9 the day before as I rounded a bend my truck slid backwards the tailgate crashed in a bank.

The cat had hit a spring creating a frozen waterfall on the steep trail, we hooked the winch cable onto a tree and began winching, the truck started to move forward and then slid sideways we realized then the truck was hanging by the cable, the back end had nothing behind it except a sharp drop.

We came to the conclusion if the cable snapped the truck was going over the cliff, radio'd for help a good humoured cat operator came to our rescue although he insisted on taking a picture of the hanging truck.
Old 01-18-2021, 10:04 AM
Banned

Had a ring stuck on my finger for 7 years. That was an expensive tow bill.
Old 01-18-2021, 10:07 AM

Had a buddy back in High School that would get pretty stoned some times. He called me one night and said he had his truck stuck in the snow bank and wasn't getting out and he didn't really know where he was only that he had tried to get up a big hill. Threw the tow straps and chains in the truck and headed out to where we normally go wheeling with a big hill. On my way out of town I happened to look over into the grocery store parking lot and here he was stuck two thirds the way up the big snow pile the plow had made from plowing the parking lot! Dork.
Old 01-18-2021, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntwat View Post
Had a ring stuck on my finger for 7 years. That was an expensive tow bill.

I just spit coffee all over the keyboard. That definitely qualifies as the best stuck story. Short read, long pain.

This is a GREAT thread. Reading all these stories brings back some wonderful memories.
Old 01-18-2021, 10:26 AM

Default What’s the worst stuck you have been and how did you get out

Only was stuck once where I needed help getting out; was going through a cut block and the kids were arguing with me that they didn’t want to take the trail.

I ended up taking a poor line through a hole and the next thing I know were down to the axles and the truck was going nowhere.

Worked on it with the piddly stock jack, trac grabbers and traction plates and was able to move a bit before darkness fell. Taught the kids how to use the shovels to make channels to drain the water out of the hole.

In the end, called Pakrat out of Barrhead and they were able to pop me out the next morning. Was an expensive outing, but it could have been much worse.

Am a bit better equipped now, the tire adapter for the hi-lift makes things much easier to get material under the wheels.
Old 01-18-2021, 10:45 AM

Around 25 years ago living in the north, took my girlfriend out to the ice road to sit by the peace river, we were busy, when we heard some people talking, turned around, and 2 guys come in to our quite place,they are stuck down the road, good thing I had a tow strap in my GMC Jimmy full size 4x4, go for a short ride, found the vehicle, after a few tugs, they were free, she was not in the mood after that, helping these guys.
Old 01-18-2021, 10:50 AM

Had a handful of trucks stuck in Sullivan lake during a rare heavy rain in the middle of a dry spell. We thought we'd become famous by driving across the dry lake bed, which we were told hadn't been tried since the dirty thirties.

I do wonder if Corb Lund got his song from our story, though I'm sure most stories about young guys getting stuck have a lot of similarities.
But the part with the hutterites just driving on by was the part that made me wonder.
After the whole ordeal, we of course went straight to the local bar.
There was live entertainment that night, and it was "The hat man". A one man show who did cover songs in bars.
Of course we thought the story of our escapades, and all the trucks we had stuck was the greatest tale ever told, so we cornered the hat man between sets and regaled him.
The first time I heard corb lunds song, I figured he and the hat man crossed paths in the music world, and the hat man shared the story told to him by a handful of small town, slack-jawed yokels. "Here's a redneck song for ya".

For years I always said if i ever ran into corb lund, I'd ask him where he got the story for that song.
But now I think I should ask him "How many people a year ask you where you got the story for that song, and then proceed to claim it came from them?"
Old 01-18-2021, 10:54 AM

Talking

There was a really good snowstorm one day, and I had been out blasting snowbanks that night. I had a 1975 Blazer with huge rubber, you know the perfect mud truck for a 18 year old.
I went east of the golf course down a back road, and buried the thing to the hood. This was about midnight.
I walked a mile and a half (seems to be a common number) back and woke up Dad.
You can guess how popular I was.
He had 2 choices, the school bus or the gas truck, he ran the UFA here.
Being that the bus was nice and warm in the garage, we grabbed a big long tow rope and elected it to tow duty. He was not real 'chatty'.
Get out to the blazer, hooked on and the bus spun down, buried.
Now I was just his favorite guy on the planet. As he was going up one side and down the other, I noticed the rope between the bus and blazer was like a tightrope. I got under it, pulled and lifted for all I was worth and moved the blazer and bus together!
I did this a couple times, and was able to get enough movement between the bus and blazer that he backed the bus out, and with just that little movement it was enough I was able to drive the blazer out.
He settled down when he thought I was man enough to pull a blazer and bus together, but really it was just physics. 'Phew'.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-18-2021, 11:10 AM

Two 9's and a 245 to get a little Poclain 'hoe out of the muskeg when it broke through - couldn't get the door open, had to get out the front window.
Cat
Old 01-18-2021, 11:19 AM

Dodge Dakota
I was on a cutline. Buried it

Friend showed up with his brand new Ford. It had 112km on it.....

He pulled me out. Thats a friend....
Old 01-18-2021, 11:37 AM

A few of us were off roading out in the sticks. There was a crossing that most of us, went around as the mud was known to be crazy deep, even with my lifted Toyota, with 35" tires, I went around.

One of my buddies, who also had a Toyota, but had a ridiculous lift, heavily modified, and giant tires (way bigger than mine), went for it and got stuck up to the bottom of the doors. It was basically a monster truck, and to see it stuck up to the bottom of the doors ….. was crazy.

We had a good laugh as he just couldn't power or wiggle out after 10 minutes of trying with no improvement (in fact it got worse). So after a while of watching him make a bigger mess and create a giant smoke signal, or burn up his already stinking transmission/clutch, we decided to call it quits and help him out. He finally jumped in the mud, literally went waist deep, gave me the strap, and crawled back into his truck covered from head to toe.

So, just as I'm done strapping up and tensioning up the cable, having strapped and chained my truck to a tree opposite of him, down the trail a Ford Bronco comes down (someone we didn't know) and he sees us hooking up. He has maybe 33" tires on a body lift and you can see this guy thinks he's "the man" as he is clearly giving us a laugh and a smug look as he and his buddy are playing it up.

Funny thing is …. He doesn't realize the truck he sees that is stuck, has a 12" lift and ~40" rubber buried under the mud and this hole is seriously DEEP.

This truck, on level ground, probably sat a foot or maybe 2 feet taller compared to his "big cool" Ford bronco - but, of course, under the mud he couldn't see it.

So ……. anyhow …. this guy just shows up behind us, visibly smirks at our predicament (in a way were it's obvious) and doesn't even stop.

Nevertheless, I know this is going to be bad, and, after all, I'm not such a jerk, so I raise may arms to wave him off and he just smiles at me, cuts to the deep side, and he pins it, ignoring me.

All you see is a giant splash, and I can still see the mud/water rolling across the TOP of his hood and mud/water pour and completely fill up his truck through his OPEN windows as his engine stalls. I have never actually seen this before, but it takes a little while for a truck to actually sink ….. it doesn't actually go down all that quick, and I bet these guys were freaking out, not knowing when the truck would actually stop sinking.

These guys escape out of the windows (after these morons try and fight to open the doors against tons of mud) and crawl up onto the roof/hood of the bronco with a bewildered look of shock only to see my buddies monster truck slowly emerge from the deep hole and realize what they "thought" was a "cute little truck" stuck was actually a truck stuck in some really, really, deep mud/water.

Needless to say, there was nothing we could do to help these guys. We gave them a ride back to the road, where they had other vehicle parked, and that bronco was there for a couple weeks until, one weekend it was gone. All you could see is tracks of a bulldozer and areas around the hole/crossing torn up like a bomb went off.

Last edited by EZM; 01-18-2021 at 11:57 AM.
Old 01-18-2021, 11:59 AM
Gone Hunting

I drove water truck in the oilfield. Got stuck more times then I can remember where a wide pad D6 was the only way out.

Only one with my own vehicle that I can remember where I had to get help was just a few summers ago.
Decided to drive along a sand bar down at the river.

I was on dry sand most of the way but let one front wheel drop down one small ledge to a lower level that had recently been flooded. Wheel dropped out of sight leaving me with only two wheels on the ground. Left front and right rear.

No cell service and a ten mile hike to where I could call out.

Fortunately there were hunters from Edmonton camped near by. Had to wait for them to return for the days hunt but they were very willing to help.

Took two of their 4x4s and my diff lock in to get me out.

I got careless and it nearly cost me big. Hunters are good people no matter where they live.

Four wheel drive is great if you drive like you own a two wheel drive. But use em like a swamp buggy and you'll get in so far no one can reach you.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 01-18-2021, 12:22 PM

I mounted a hitch receiver on the front of my 3/4 ton dodge so my 9000 lb winch could pull forward or back. When a new guy asked
“Get stuck much?”
“Not since I bought the winch.”

The worst was on a cut line north of Wabasca with a wellsite survey crew. We broke through the frost crust on muskeg, 4wd 1/2 ton, and all 4 wheels dropped right in. Spent the whole day jacking up each corner and stuffing branches under for about 100 yards. Got back to camp in time for supper and no work done.
Old 01-18-2021, 12:22 PM
Gone Hunting

Just read the rest. Time well spent.

This has the makings of a great book, or movie.

Now I need to take a break and catch my breath. Laughing does that to me.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 01-18-2021, 12:48 PM

Slid over a steep embankment earlier this winter with the skid steer. Was tipped bad enough we put a cable off the top to a second truck to hold it up while we pulled it out.