Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-25-2023, 08:10 AM

Default aren you still looking ?

I work for a heavy equipment rental company that is always looking for mechanics. I'm 56 and going for my last year of schooling for my apprenticeship on Monday. Anything is possible LOL PM me if want info on the job
Old 02-25-2023, 08:42 AM

Uncanny timing for this thread…I just worked with a guy this week who was a HD mech for several years and is now doing Emergency Response for tractor trailer MVIs and related types of incidents. He wasn’t over 55 but definitely was not young either. I didn’t get the details on how he made the transition but he did say it’s much easier on the body. He’s in the field, still doing a combination of hands-on work and a supervisory role. Just one example of another possible career path. Good mechanics are by nature very resourceful people at finding ways to get it done with the tools at hand and with experience those skills can be applied in many scenarios.

Don’t sell yourself short…If I was in your situation and with your experience think I would be looking for some type of inspector position within the transportation industry, but I also really like the idea of working for yourself, in your own garage or shop like others mentioned. Heck, there are even several HD mechanics with their own YouTube channels too. All depend what you want to do, lots of possibilities out there.
Old 02-25-2023, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdrenalin View Post
I work for a heavy equipment rental company that is always looking for mechanics. I'm 56 and going for my last year of schooling for my apprenticeship on Monday. Anything is possible LOL PM me if want info on the job
This is awesome
Old 02-25-2023, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeelmer View Post
As a manager of a large business, it scares me hiring older guys doing labor type jobs.
Why?
Its not there experience, that is a asset.
Its their age, with age comes health issues, back problems, knee problems, shoulder problems.
WCB claims kill businesses. It litterly costs hundreds of thousands of dollars to have a injury claim. Not just in the cost of the claim, but the black mark on our safety system, that all of our clients look at to see if they will use us for there projects.
We loose out on one turn around job, or one pipeline project because the oil and gas company decides that the risk matrix on ISNET is too high, that can cost us a million dollar job.
Its not the employee, it is the way wcb and the safety system works. One long term injury can cost a company huge.
Tell me at 55 if your body feels the same as when you were in your 20's or 30's? No it hurts, especially after doing a job as a HD mechanic for as many years as you have.
Now I am not saying that you intentaly are going to get on with a company and within the first year claim your shoulder hurts too much to work anymore, but this happens out there, and it happens alot, that is why company's are hesitant to hire older guys for these types of jobs. Also, younger mechanics are normally alot more computer savvy, and have a handle on the new tech,(generally speaking)
Hiring a older guy to be a service writer? Yes that is the roll guys tend to hire older guys for.
Also, you said you worked on city busses, that tends(though not always) a union job. Most non union shops are exceptionally hesitant to hire guys with a union background. I know that 80% of the time if I have a option I will not a hire a guy with a union back ground(flame suit on)
It is just the world we live in.
Hiring managers also know that if lets say, you want to hire a mechanic for $35 per hour to start, and see where that goes, a older guy is less likely to want to start for a lower wage, he wants to get a much higher wage right out of the get go. A younger guy trying to prove himself and put in alot of good years with a company is worth the investment for the company.
A older guy, may not give you as many good years.
Older guys tend to be stuck in there ways, and are not nearly as good at adapting to the way a new company's structures.
Just my 2 cents
How many of your young guys sleep in ? Don't make it to work because they have the sniffles ? Stayed up too late playing videos games ? I work with alot of young guys and see alot of this
Old 03-09-2023, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlin1 View Post
Anyone else run into issues finding work in the "golden" years? Seems having a heavy duty ticket with experience working on city buses isn't helping much . I heard some one else mention he had to retire as no one would hire him .
Teck mines in sparwood is hiring hd mechanics with a 5000.00 signing bonus plus moving allowance and other incentives.
Old 03-10-2023, 04:26 PM

I agree with some of the previous sentiments around previous experience in a unionized environment.
I did a few years as a HD tech at a unionized mine in BC myself. Was never a fan of unions to begin with but after a few years there it was a eye opening experience, and now when interviewing for positions here up north as a manager it most certainly affects our decision to interview or hire a candidate.
Age however is less important. Our crews here are primarily under age 35,
and a majority under 30. Certainly could use some more experienced guys for their knowledge and ability to keep the young guys in check. Having guys with the level of trade knowledge that can only be earned through years of experience, and their career history and previous experiences can help control the I deserve everything for nothing mentality many younger guys have.

We had a guy that was 63 who recently retired only to take care of his wife who was in amazing shape, held the guys together like glue and worked as hard as any other. Near impossible to replace
Old 03-10-2023, 08:42 PM

I have an interest in working as a mill operator since I have spent 8.5 years at a potash mine and feel my skill as a freeze plant operator could transfer over well to the mill area.

Got an interview with another mine just before layoff, went over feeling pretty good as I have every checkbox filled they could ask for besides gender. I think my interview going well, 20 positions open, almost decade on site, look 10 years younger than I am, local guy, will relocate, we know your bosses and talked to them yada yada, great!

They told me (no HR just 2 supers) they want kids off the farm so they can be "molded properly".

Yep, ageism is a real thing. That was last May, I am still sitting and sick of it.

You like to play with diesels? Ex Ford mech I know has lots of 6.0, 6.4 and 7.3 experience opened his own shop, he is backlogged 3 weeks and will never run out of work.

Service writer for any type of auto shop including dealership?

Just ideas.
Old 03-12-2023, 02:06 PM

Default Update

Some good ideas here. Thanks . I got a call from the city . Interview on Tuesday. Guys doing the interview are techs I worked with and over . Can't find my high school diploma from 1985 . Lol . Apparently I need it . Lots of hoops to jump through but hopefully it works out
Old 03-12-2023, 07:13 PM

Wishing you good luck.

I too have been tipped off that I’ll have an interview in the next few weeks.
At a plant where I currently work as a contract Operator, for a full time role.
So we will see how I (soon to be age 62) match up against the young bucks.

I think I will not get selected for the full time gig but they’ll likely ask me to stay as long as contractors are required, another year they say, Contractor rates for full time hours, not bad.
And I’ll be good with that too.

TBark
Old 05-30-2023, 09:24 PM

Default Update

Seems some guys were right . Working on a farm for now . Got tractor ready for seeding . Now driving tractor . Gotta say I love it . Be sad when seeding ends
Old 05-30-2023, 10:50 PM

I am almost 67 as well though many say no way. Came from a technical software training and video training design life. Still pickup the odd contract here and there but most think I am old and useless. I always laugh when I get turned down and feel I know why and then a month from now the position pops up again. Love doing part time shorter term contracts. Just funny when they are adv again or they call and I have another contract and cannot help them.
Old 05-31-2023, 06:28 AM

I was a union tradesman for 40 years but for over 15 of those years I did a lot of foreman, job steward jobs and finished up as a business agent for the Hall.
I turn down work on a pretty regular basis , mostly in labor relations or supervision type positions for contractors .
I'm fairly certain that if I came put of retirement i could still hold down a J man position on the tools , but I'm nor sure fir how long, due to my age and my temperment
Cat
Old 05-31-2023, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlin1 View Post
Seems some guys were right . Working on a farm for now . Got tractor ready for seeding . Now driving tractor . Gotta say I love it . Be sad when seeding ends
Mechanic most important guy on a farm or feedlot. If your a good mechanic ,fabricator and can work outside of a fancy shop you will never be laid off
Old 05-31-2023, 07:54 AM

I retired as a Senior Construction Superintendent 2 weeks ago. Today is my last day on the payroll (burned up my accumulated holiday hours). I was offered a consulting gig a few months ago, I’m starting it tomorrow on a contract basis. Twice the money, and having my company again leaves a lot of room to juggle expenses and take advantage of write offs. I’m looking forward to it
Old 05-31-2023, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo View Post
I retired as a Senior Construction Superintendent 2 weeks ago. Today is my last day on the payroll (burned up my accumulated holiday hours). I was offered a consulting gig a few months ago, I’m starting it tomorrow on a contract basis. Twice the money, and having my company again leaves a lot of room to juggle expenses and take advantage of write offs. I’m looking forward to it
Leo, congrats.....I wish you the best..You deserve it..

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 05-31-2023, 10:23 AM

I worked on the LNGC project in Kitimat as an Engineering Project Manager and let me tell you there is a serious lack of tradesmen and operators today. I interact and talk to every and which contractor on site and they all say the same thing. It got so bad that the carpenters union was hiring anybody with a pulse and the lack of skills was obvious. I witnessed an 8 year “Journeyman” Carpenter struggle to unthread a 1” nut off a bolted flange, not because it was tight, but because you can tell he didn’t know how to leverage the wrench (the foreman had to come in and he easily unthreaded the nut). I’ve watched carpenters do millwright work, millwrights operating heavy machinery, welders driving telehandlers and nobody says a word because there just isn’t enough people to fill those roles. This is the result when you raise an entire generation of “white collar” workers and built a culture where working with your hands is considered “low-class/low-status”. Now we have bums who don’t know what they're doing with 0 barriers to entry working in heavy industrial construction and it’s downright dangerous.

LNGC was so desperate for trades and operators that they approved a 20% bump across the board last year for all blue collar workers in a desperate attempt to attract and retain them. My point is I have never seen trades/operators short of work (within the past 10 years). I’m not sure what it’s like in the major cities as I haven’t worked in one for the past 6 years, but if you’re willing to do fly in fly out there is a serious supply/demand imbalance for skilled trades and operators.

Last edited by Macdrizzle; 05-31-2023 at 10:42 AM.
Old 05-31-2023, 10:32 PM

I hear ya MacD.
LNGC isn’t paying AB rates, simple, direct hire or contractor.
I had 2 key irons in the fire with LNGC as a contractor, one I can speak of, Sr field Operator/ panel backup.
They were seeking experienced LNG field Ops with CSU to help with their rookie Operators, had a few good chats with their mgrs.

Fell apart apparently due to money in the end, making more around the corner from home here in Ft Sask.

They will have a tough startup out there with the lack of Ops experience.
Some good hires Im sure, I’ve seen some familiar names and moderate experience on Linkdin of others who I don’t know, but normally you would start a key profile project with a higher ratio of experience than the flip side.

TBark
Old 05-31-2023, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
x2

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 06-01-2023, 05:29 AM

Quote:

Good for you Leo. Enjoy to the fullest. If things get tight you know my offer for the property is always there for you.
Old 06-01-2023, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Congrats!!!!!
Old 06-01-2023, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macdrizzle View Post
I worked on the LNGC project in Kitimat as an Engineering Project Manager and let me tell you there is a serious lack of tradesmen and operators today. I interact and talk to every and which contractor on site and they all say the same thing. It got so bad that the carpenters union was hiring anybody with a pulse and the lack of skills was obvious. I witnessed an 8 year “Journeyman” Carpenter struggle to unthread a 1” nut off a bolted flange, not because it was tight, but because you can tell he didn’t know how to leverage the wrench (the foreman had to come in and he easily unthreaded the nut). I’ve watched carpenters do millwright work, millwrights operating heavy machinery, welders driving telehandlers and nobody says a word because there just isn’t enough people to fill those roles. This is the result when you raise an entire generation of “white collar” workers and built a culture where working with your hands is considered “low-class/low-status”. Now we have bums who don’t know what they're doing with 0 barriers to entry working in heavy industrial construction and it’s downright dangerous.

LNGC was so desperate for trades and operators that they approved a 20% bump across the board last year for all blue collar workers in a desperate attempt to attract and retain them. My point is I have never seen trades/operators short of work (within the past 10 years). I’m not sure what it’s like in the major cities as I haven’t worked in one for the past 6 years, but if you’re willing to do fly in fly out there is a serious supply/demand imbalance for skilled trades and operators.

I'm in the industrial trades and I also see the lack of quality and experience you mention.

I think part of it is what you mentioned for sure.
I think the bigger factor is that the contractors/clients are always trying to cut wages/benefits/hours/OT rates when the contractors and clients are making huge profits(and post them).
Just go on a job networking website and see some of the low wages offered. And then the contractors complain that there are not enough trades people?

Another issue I see is the poor quality of the food/camps and how tradesman are treated by the contractors/clients on some out of town jobs, especially Fort McMurray.

Quite a few guys I know got tired of putting in a good days work/hours and always having their livelihood under attack. They've moved on to other lines of work and won't even consider getting their kids into the trades if at all possible.
Any new upcoming construction projects are gonna struggle to get people, never mind qualified people. Even turnarounds have been a struggle to get people lately....

My two cents.
Old 06-01-2023, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBark View Post
I hear ya MacD.
LNGC isn’t paying AB rates, simple, direct hire or contractor.
I had 2 key irons in the fire with LNGC as a contractor, one I can speak of, Sr field Operator/ panel backup.
They were seeking experienced LNG field Ops with CSU to help with their rookie Operators, had a few good chats with their mgrs.

Fell apart apparently due to money in the end, making more around the corner from home here in Ft Sask.

They will have a tough startup out there with the lack of Ops experience.
Some good hires Im sure, I’ve seen some familiar names and moderate experience on Linkdin of others who I don’t know, but normally you would start a key profile project with a higher ratio of experience than the flip side.

TBark
100% When LNGC started up in 2018 Alberta was still in recession and it was one of the only major projects happening in Western Canada so they low balled the unions and gave every one a blended straight time. They also built a massive state of the art camp with all kinds of gym facilities and entertainment so they don't have to pay per diem. Fast forward to the post covid start up era and projects were happening left right and center in most of BC and AB. All of a sudden LNGC had to compete for inflation adjusted wages, OTs and per diems.

I also worked at Rio Tinto for a couple of years in Kitimat before LNGC started up and I'm seeing a lot of poaching of operators and tradesmen from RT to LNG Canada. It'll definitely be difficult to get operators because most people don't want to permanently move to Kitimat. For skilled tradesmen and operators with good experience and lots of options, nobody would move their families to Kitimat without a premium added to their rates. But if OP is out of a job for whatever reason and is desperate to find work there are always options in rural locations or fly in fly out gigs.

@7magtime
I'm not sure what goes on internally between contractor/trades and client/trades but the Project I'm referring to is a Union job. All rates and hours worked are typically set. I'm not sure what the going rates are for tradesmen working in big cities. But there were 2 consistent patterns that I've always noticed: 1) Their salaries and benefits are always very comfortably above the national average, and 2) There is always a demand for them. So much so I was starting to look into getting my welder's ticket on the side and work on the weekend. Not necessarily for the extra cash but more for the job security after seeing how difficult it is to find good trades workers.

Anyway I just thought OP should know that. I was just a little stunned when I read that an HD mechanic regardless of age is having trouble finding work in today’s job market. There were plenty of 50+ year old tradesmen working on sites where I worked.
Old 06-01-2023, 09:22 AM

I put in 43 years of shift work and then retired from that and took a part time job 2 days a week for $17 per hour. I sure wasn't working for the money, just something to do, and now I quit that too.

After that still found myself looking at job postings but convinced myself that life is pretty much over by 80 years old and that I want to enjoy life more than I do making money and paying taxes till I hit that age, if I get that far.

So, if your over 55 and can't find work, maybe reevaluate and see if you can live just as well on pensions/oas/gis/cpp etc. I found I have almost as much coming in [take home] from pension/oas/cpp as I did working FT with no OT, and WAY less expenses. Don't forget to factor in pension and cpp splitting as it makes a big difference on the taxes you pay.
Old 06-02-2023, 11:34 PM

Interesting! I applied out at Kitimat for operator gigs, have a decade of experience and a PE ticket and nothing, zip, nada.

Guess they wanted more than I could offer, just surprising to hear how desperate they are for workers.
Old 06-03-2023, 08:44 AM

Quote:

Enjoy working on your own terms going forward. All the best.
Old 06-03-2023, 12:48 PM

Yes Heavy D,
Ageism,
I did not get selected for the full-time gig where I currently contract but that’s OK I’m still here as a contract operator at least until the end of this year.

So I guess I have been a bit spoiled over of my 35+ year career as this is the first time I had ever taken an interview and not received a job offer.
And because I’m over the hump of 60 years of age, so where does a company see the benefit of years of experience role over to lack of potential years of service (investing in me) by hiring somebody at my age?

TBark
Old 06-03-2023, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Good. You can write off a lunch with me. I'll pay, you keep the receipt....double dip
Old 06-03-2023, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Put yourself out to shutdowns and turn arounds.
A few months here and there then enjoy time off.
Earn your stripes and you will be called more than you think for other jobs too.
Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exactly what my wife and I have been doing the past three years...turnarounds in Ft. Mac and TMEP and CGL in B.C. Mostly doing 14/14 rotations with the odd extra week thrown in if it's during waiting for ice out or something along those lines. She did take a job for one year with the RM of Vermilion but wasn't liking it so she left and went back to this. We are both on TMEP currently.
Old 06-04-2023, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
X2 .All the best to you Leo .

Cheers
JD