Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-01-2023, 07:04 AM

Default Edmonton Roofing Company - Any Recommendations?

Mornin fellas. We are downsizing, and the home we’ve purchased needs shingles. Any roofers in Edmonton you would recommend?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-01-2023, 08:04 AM

I had some water intrusion this spring due to ice dams. I've engaged A. Clark Roofing. Saw them recommended here on a previous thread as well. They note 70 years in business, I figured a long term outfit is what I want for a roofer.

They haven't done the work yet, so I can't really give a recommendation, but I've authorized their quote and so far I appreciate their input and communication scoping the work required. Can report back once work is complete.
Old 04-01-2023, 08:23 AM

We went with Nomad a few years ago, 50 year warranty on shingles.
https://nomadroofing.ca/about/
Old 04-02-2023, 05:37 AM

alfs roofing had them do my place in sherwood park 3-4 years ago beautiful job, done quick and not 1 nail left, anywhere not even in the hedges around the house, even added a few extra vents for me on the garage. not the cheapest quote but sure did great work and worked around my wifes schedule (nightshift)
Old 04-02-2023, 09:19 AM

Here's a couple links to threads I commented on.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=410227

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=397946

I've always had shingled roofs, there are some good shingles out there, but I'm seriously considering switching over to metal as they weather out and need replacement.
Old 04-02-2023, 09:33 AM

Default Roof-Ex

2 years ago, we needed to shingle our home in Edmonton. Trickier than most, we were dealing with a two story steep slope, several valleys which required 24" flashing, 44" ice/water membrane on eaves edge and valleys, minor water damage repairs, all new attic vents / plumbing flashings / goose exhaust fixtures, removal & disposal of existing shingles. We went to the trouble of getting 8 quotes which we put into a spreadsheet, all from reputable Edmonton roofers. Quotes ranged from $5,200 to $8,100. Our final decision was based on initial response time to quote and full disclosure on follow-up questions, referrals, perceived honesty, timeliness to start the job and who put the quote together (owner opposed to employee). Long story short, we chose Jules Chabot who owns Roof-Ex. He was an excellent choice in our minds as he delivered all that he promised, was absolutely on time for start of project and completion. When he finished the only indication that a major project had been completed on the house was that there was a really good looking new roof. We went with Malarkey Legacy SBS laminate 50yr (class 4) shingles. Total cost all-in was $6,931 plus GST. Highly recommend.
Old 04-02-2023, 01:22 PM

Regardless of who you choose, make sure the outfit you hire doesn't sub out the entire job to someone else. I've seen that done a couple of times with roofing and concrete work and there is huge risk. Shoddy workmanship can take a while to surface and it's usually a big fight to get what you were promised.

Also, don't skimp on the shingles you pick, the labour is generally the same if you use cheap ones or expensive ones.
Old 04-02-2023, 01:53 PM

Thanks guys. Got quotes coming in from companies you’ve recommended.
Old 05-08-2023, 04:49 PM

Well fellas, I went with Jules Chabot who owns Roof-Ex. He's finishing up as I type. Absolutely, unequivocally as good an experience as I've had with any contractor. Personable, timely communication, a crew of clean cut and polite university students, yard is pristine, and he just offered to haul away a trailer load of spruce boughs I cut down from a massive tree in our new yard. Absolute firstclass company. Could not give a higher recommendation. Price was fair too. Not cheapest. Not most expensive. Sometimes it's best to pay a few bucks extra when you get a good vibe from a guy. Thanks for the excellent suggestion!
Old 05-08-2023, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Well fellas, I went with Jules Chabot who owns Roof-Ex. He's finishing up as I type. Absolutely, unequivocally as good an experience as I've had with any contractor. Personable, timely communication, a crew of clean cut and polite university students, yard is pristine, and he just offered to haul away a trailer load of spruce boughs I cut down from a massive tree in our new yard. Absolute firstclass company. Could not give a higher recommendation. Price was fair too. Not cheapest. Not most expensive. Sometimes it's best to pay a few bucks extra when you get a good vibe from a guy. Thanks for the excellent suggestion!
I used him, my family and neighbors used him. He lives in our hood too. You made a good choice, he is a top notch guy.
Old 05-08-2023, 06:18 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
I used him, my family and neighbors used him. He lives in our hood too. You made a good choice, he is a top notch guy.
*hired

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 06-04-2023, 08:39 PM

Do roofing companies just use google maps to determine quotes or are they so busy they'll just email you a "like it or leave it" quote?

Contacted 2 companies and received quotes yet no one even came over. Quotes were within a couple hundred of each other.

Also are these 2 quotes out to lunch? $10k for shingles on a 1200sqft bi-level home with front attached double garage.....
Old 06-04-2023, 10:56 PM

^ “Regular” shingles? Yes. Two years ago (I know the prices now are about 1.5-1.7 times of what I paid), I paid less than $2K or there about (tried to find the invoice, but it disappeared) for IKO whatever they were (Cambridge?) shingles for 1,000 sq ft house, one car garage, and a shed. So $10K for “simple” shingles is pretty nutty from the size you are talking about. But I could be missing something. Could be better shingles too.

And yes, some do use google or other satellite imagery.

Edit: Just for perspective, you are looking at 200 bundles at $50 per if shingles alone are estimated to cost $10K. That’s a lot of shingles.

Last edited by fishnguy; 06-04-2023 at 11:08 PM.
Old 06-05-2023, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
^ “Regular” shingles? Yes. Two years ago (I know the prices now are about 1.5-1.7 times of what I paid), I paid less than $2K or there about (tried to find the invoice, but it disappeared) for IKO whatever they were (Cambridge?) shingles for 1,000 sq ft house, one car garage, and a shed. So $10K for “simple” shingles is pretty nutty from the size you are talking about. But I could be missing something. Could be better shingles too.

And yes, some do use google or other satellite imagery.

Edit: Just for perspective, you are looking at 200 bundles at $50 per if shingles alone are estimated to cost $10K. That’s a lot of shingles.

Was that $2000 for just shingles alone or did a contactor redo your roof as well?
Old 06-05-2023, 06:20 PM

Shingles only.
Old 06-05-2023, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Shingles only.
Oh okay, I should have been more clear my $10k quote was for removal and disposal of old shingles, install new ones, eaves protection, synthetic underlay, metal flashings, vents, accessories and clean the gutters.
Old 06-05-2023, 07:01 PM

Don't use
Alf's roofing I had them do my shop and the shingles blow off every time there is a strong wind plus their prices are through the roof. Try Family Roofing two brothers great pricing and they stand behind their work
Old 06-06-2023, 09:30 AM

Default Roorer

In Calgary I just used Hubbard Roofing.
Great price, great work.
Old 06-06-2023, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtShooter View Post
Oh okay, I should have been more clear my $10k quote was for removal and disposal of old shingles, install new ones, eaves protection, synthetic underlay, metal flashings, vents, accessories and clean the gutters.
Oh, ok. I thought you were talking about shingles only. It would be a lot of shingles for the size of the house you are describing, haha. Still feels like a quite a bit to me, but I have no idea what labour pricing is like. I did the whole thing myself for likely around $3-3.5K, which included new facia boards, facia, soffit, drip edge, underlayment, shingles, etc - the whole thing, in other words - on all buildings. There are a few pics kicking around somewhere here. I believe lumber is now cheaper, but that wasn’t a significant part of the bill. Add another ~ $1K for shingles, and I do not believe other materials changed in price as much. My best guess is I would probably be looking at about $4,500 (max) worth of material today. Since your house (and likely garage is a bit bigger), you are probably looking at $5,000-5,500 for the material. So $10,000 for the job doesn’t seem to be outrageous in that case. All just my “rough” somewhat educated guessing though, haha.
Old 06-07-2023, 08:05 AM

Late to the party as the decision is already made but roof-ex did my place a year and a half ago. Neighbor used him the year before so when I asked him how things went he had nothing but good things to say.

He's the retired type who's extremely hard to please so if he thought he did good I wouldn't doubt it. Roof ex came in less expensive by a large margin when compared to Sargents roofing and one other quote I did which was closer to roof ex quote.
Old 06-24-2023, 07:52 PM

I went with Roof-ex. His most expensive option was cheaper than the regular quotes I got from the other roofers. They did a great job.
Old 08-08-2023, 10:39 AM

I had ours done by Jules Chabot who owns Roof-Ex. This was based on reading this thread.
Very happy with the results and the process. People were professional and the work was done well and quickly.
Old 10-26-2023, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FXSB View Post
I had ours done by Jules Chabot who owns Roof-Ex. This was based on reading this thread.
Very happy with the results and the process. People were professional and the work was done well and quickly.
Just piling on here. I just had Roof-Ex do my roof as well. Jules asked where I had heard about his company and was maybe a bit surprised when I said the Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum.

They did great work for a fair price. I would certainly recommend them!