Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-18-2023, 05:52 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post
Wouldn't THAT be fun!

That would rub a LOT of Oiler fans the wrong way

He didn't bother me like he did other fans though.

It's been over a decade since a Presidents Trophy winner won the cup, but none of those teams tore it up all season like the B's did. They are SCARRY good. But my guy instinct still says someone is gonna knock em off.

Certainly wont be the Oilers if they dont figure it out.. I said 7 games from the start so thats one of our 3 losses. Put it behind us and on to the next one..
Kings in 7, you heard it here first.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-18-2023, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post
I think Toranna can beat Tampa Bay, but will they? If it goes to game 7 The Leaves are done, it's GOTA be in 6.

^^^^ I like this guy!

It would NEVER happen, we would see WWE Wrestling refereeing to prevent that from ever happening like we saw in the Oilers - Ducks series a few years ago, remember the Duck's player laying on top of our goalie in the crease and the go ahead goal somehow still counted?

The only way the Oilers CAN win it all is if Bettman gives us his blessing.

The REAL dark horse in these playoffs is going to be officiating. It's no secret the NHL has the worst officiating in all of pro sports, that isn't even debatable. That has me a bit worried.

What a great time of year, GAME ON!!

LETS GO OILERS!!!!!
Have you ever watched pro boxing?
Old 04-18-2023, 12:17 PM

Go Vegas Go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 04-18-2023, 01:10 PM

As much as I want the Oiler's to go all the way, I want the Leafs to lose even more.
Old 04-18-2023, 01:26 PM

They need to change the salary cap rules.
Implement a game cap, so, you can spend, lets say $95M on a roster if you want to, but can only ice $83M of that roster per game. I don't like the medical/financial gymnastics that are being done so teams purposefully ice a $97M (Vegas) team against a $81M team (Jets) in the playoffs. How long until teams are signing guys, with zero intention of playing them, until the playoffs hit? Or is that already happening?
Old 04-18-2023, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI 6.5 View Post
As much as I want the Oiler's to go all the way, I want the Leafs to lose even more.
Haha. As a habs fan I can not pick on the laughs much as they went farther than my crew but I see and agree with you. They are usually booking T times soon in TO.
Old 04-18-2023, 07:16 PM

Not watching the game, but so far 4 out of 6 goals scored in the Tampa-Leafs game were scored on power play.
Old 04-18-2023, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Not watching the game, but so far 4 out of 6 goals scored in the Tampa-Leafs game were scored on power play.
5 power play goals. Tampa scored in 4 out of the 5 pp they had. Leafs dis once in 4. Someone should stay out of the box. Goaltending will be key in this one, imo, and none was exceptional in game one. Vassilevsky has more potential to come up strong though?

Go Jets? I expected to see the exact opposite result (though the game is not yet over and if the Kings taught us anything yesterday…), to be honest.

Thought Rangers would win, but didn’t think they would score 5.

Colorado and Kraken is interesting. I would have my money on the Avs. But who knows. I thought they would have it in 6 games.
Old 04-18-2023, 10:07 PM

Underdogs doing pretty good in game #1s

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 04-18-2023, 10:17 PM

Jet’s looking good!
Old 04-18-2023, 10:23 PM

^ Yeah, 5 goals! Lol. Knights has very mediocre (and very inconsistent) goaltending though and Quick is a back up. You can never discount that guy though.
Old 04-18-2023, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Underdogs doing pretty good in game #1s
No doubt, it's home ice DIS-advantage for most game 1's.

That almost makes game 2 must wins for the home teams, ya definitely dont wanna go back to the other teams barns down 2-0, all they need is the split on home ice to go up 3 games to 1. SUPER important game for the Oilers tomorrow. They need this game, BAD.

That Toranna game was entertaining, especially if you don't have a dog in that fight. Still think this might be the year the Leaves pull it off. Just to be crystal clear, that's not what I want to happen, but it's what I think is going to happen. Then again it's the Leaves & leaves always fall!

LET'S GO OILERS!!!
Old 04-19-2023, 05:11 AM

Leafs lost! That is worth the price of admission alone. Just to see those long faces in the stands and outside was priceless. Contrary to what the media, fans etc think, Toronto is not the center of the universe. Vegas and Colorado lost as well. I know it's only the first game but anything can happen in the playoffs.
Old 04-19-2023, 06:29 AM

Lot's of hockey left boys and girls...hehe...
Old 04-19-2023, 06:37 AM

Yup in the first 8 games 6 of the road teams ( lower seeds ) won game 1, the playoffs are all about goal tending and don't take stupid penalties, it's going to be a tough first round, some really good hockey to watch. And yes I'm happy to see the leafs back in playoff mode, the Jets looked good and the Kraken gave the Avs all they could handle and more.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 04-19-2023, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner View Post
Jet’s looking good!
Jets are scary....started league off on a rip....had a slump for whatever reason(s)...still good enough to make playoffs...seem to be back on track....big, bad, depth, offence, defense, play all areas above average, great goalie,..... ohhh boy watch out!

Old 04-19-2023, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner View Post
Jet’s looking good!
And Vegas looked really, really bad!

Starting the 3rd down 2-1, Lowry had the same number of goals in the 3rd than Vegas had SOG. Talk about a dismal effort.
Old 04-19-2023, 09:13 AM

I caught the highlights of the Jets game. Man, was Barron ever lucky landing on that goalie skate. Something like 75 stitches and back out on the ice. Even though it was still pretty bad. it could have been worse
"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!" 1935-Adolf Hitler
Old 04-19-2023, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell78 View Post
I caught the highlights of the Jets game. Man, was Barron ever lucky landing on that goalie skate. Something like 75 stitches and back out on the ice. Even though it was still pretty bad. it could have been worse
Yeah, when he went face down on that skate and I saw blood, I thought "he's just lost an eye". It was very close, and scary. For him to get 75 stiches and back on the bench a half hour later, that was Warrior.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 04-19-2023, 09:57 AM

But seriously, not sure about the wisdom of having him go back out there.
Old 04-19-2023, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Yeah, when he went face down on that skate and I saw blood, I thought "he's just lost an eye". It was very close, and scary. For him to get 75 stiches and back on the bench a half hour later, that was Warrior.
What a scary incident, someone was watching over him. Reminds me of Smitty losing a bunch of teeth and coming back out and playing.
Old 04-19-2023, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post

But seriously, not sure about the wisdom of having him go back out there.

Well it sends a message to both benches, to yours it lets them know that no matter what you got their back and given the chance will do so in which gets the bench pumped up!
Hopefully the other bench says holy crap we are in a run with a bunch of tuff buggers which might knock them down a notch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 04-19-2023, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI 6.5 View Post
Have you ever watched pro boxing?
I agree, bro Boxing definitely had it's moments of inept judging. But when it comes down to someone's opinion over anything else, that's what you get. As much as I miss Boxing I sure don't miss that part of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell78 View Post
That was tough to watch..

Quote:
And you look at NBA players, they will sit out multiple games over a jammed finger.

Those NHL boys are as tough as they come. Right up there with Rugby players, shin kickers or phone booth fighters.

Never heard of shin kicking? I couldn't stop laughing the first time I saw that.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z3vTlr...hpbiBraWNraW5n

Phone booth fighting is new to Russia, just passing the time in war time.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sCrzpq...dGggZmlnaHQ%3D
Old 04-19-2023, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Those NHL boys are as tough as they come. Right up there with Rugby players, shin kickers or phone booth fighters.

I could tell you a story from the late 70's about 3 Houston Aero hockey players vs 4 Houston Oiler football players that would confirm your thoughts.
Old 04-20-2023, 07:42 AM

The panthers gave it to the bruins last night, thought that would be a 4 - 0 series, the Islanders came close but are really behind the 8 ball now, Dallas and the Oil bounced back to even things up, will see what shakes out tonight with the Leafs, LV, Colorado and NJ

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 04-20-2023, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
The panthers gave it to the bruins last night, thought that would be a 4 - 0 series, the Islanders came close but are really behind the 8 ball now, Dallas and the Oil bounced back to even things up, will see what shakes out tonight with the Leafs, LV, Colorado and NJ
That was good to see the B's lose, hopefully it gives FLA some confidence and some momentum.

The Islanders are in tough as-is, no need to be scoring on themselves

The Dallas - Wild series I can see going 7 just like Oilers & LA..

Was pretty cool to hear the all rabid Oiler fans during the players post game presser, a few players had a hard time staying focused, very cool.

Great bounceback game for the Oil, that was a must win game.

The Oil played well in both games and were driving the bus for the majority of it, they just gota figure out how to stop them from getting back into the game, if that's possible. As good as the Oil have played on the road this year I'm ready for these next two games..

Does anyone know why our games are all late starts even though there are no games on before us? (Canadian teams) I could see it if Toranna was playing on the same night & SportsNet wanted to do back to back games but nobody is on before us, why dont we start at 7 or 7:30? Obviously is a league directive but does anyone know why? US TV scheduling would be my guess but does anyone know for sure?

Not a big deal to me as I'm a night owl but my family in Newfoundland are having a heck of a time staying up to watch our games, last night's game didn't start till almost midnight St.John's time.
Old 04-20-2023, 01:57 PM

In the west my guess is Dallas, Winnipeg, Edmonton and Colorado move on, in the east Toronto, Boston, rangers and Carolina. Boston is class of the east with rangers as dark horse, Colorado is tops in the west with Dallas as the dark horse and possibly Edmonton if their goaltending holds up but that’s a big if.
Old 04-20-2023, 06:27 PM

Have been watching the second period of Leafs - Tampa game and it is some great hockey!
Old 04-20-2023, 08:04 PM

Leafs with a statement. Tavares with a hat trick. Tampa looked a bit too slow, or the Leafs are crazy fast. Good game for them anyway.
Old 04-21-2023, 06:46 AM

Vegas Baby.....solid win

As for the Leafs, hate’em but sent a message hopefully waking a beast within Tampa.