Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 04-25-2023, 08:29 PM

Default Pine Coulee

Anyone been out there lately?
I would imagine the trout would do really well, seeing as the starving walleye were full of scuds.
Seen a couple pics of fat trout, but I’ve pulled bigger out of Bathing lake, just wondering if it’s living up to its “trophy lake” status yet?
Old 04-30-2023, 05:49 PM

I took a drive out there last weekend (Sunday, April 23rd).

Lake was 100% ice-free, in addition to the surrounding area.

Water level was quite low with ~10 feet gap between last concrete block and water level. This would affect launching a boat but perhaps not shore fishing.

I saw no fishermen at the time though I suspect a few were given there were some occupied campsites.

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 05-07-2023, 05:54 PM

Default Pine Coulee update

Stopped by today, quite a few fisherman. First cast with my fly rod and a leach pattern, small pike, 2nd cat, fish on, for a brief second then pike bit right through my trout set up. A couple other hits, no trout . What’s the point of stocking this with trout when the pike population is still really high?
Furthermore, why have a 3 pike, 3 wallet limit if predation is happening. What a waste of money and poor resource management. Right up there with not aerating police Lake. Ok rant over. Hopefully other guys are getting some rainbows.
Old 05-07-2023, 06:11 PM

How did the water levels look? I’m getting a bit antsy to get the boat on the water!
Old 05-07-2023, 06:21 PM

Water levels must be coming up as the boat launch was in good shape. Lots of boats out. I don’t think you will have any issue! Campground in nice shape too.
Old 05-07-2023, 06:23 PM

Just to add to my earlier post. This was a really good walleye catch and release lake. I recall a fish a cast. What was wrong with that? Why take a round peg and try to put through a square hole? I was fine with that….
Old 05-07-2023, 06:37 PM

The remaining Walleye should grow fat now along with the Pike with all those Rainbows for grub.
Old 05-07-2023, 06:37 PM

Just to add to my earlier post. This was a really good walleye catch and release lake. I recall a fish a cast. What was wrong with that? Why take a round peg and try to put through a square hole? I was fine with that….
Old 05-07-2023, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
The remaining Walleye should grow fat now along with the Pike with all those Rainbows for grub.
Indeed, they will….when the hatchery truck shows up, it’s dinner time….
Old 05-16-2023, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softhackle View Post
Stopped by today, quite a few fisherman. First cast with my fly rod and a leach pattern, small pike, 2nd cat, fish on, for a brief second then pike bit right through my trout set up. A couple other hits, no trout . What’s the point of stocking this with trout when the pike population is still really high?
Furthermore, why have a 3 pike, 3 wallet limit if predation is happening. What a waste of money and poor resource management. Right up there with not aerating police Lake. Ok rant over. Hopefully other guys are getting some rainbows.
Ya, the logic of it is perplexing to say the least, and what a kick in the nuts at police!!
Old 05-16-2023, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softhackle View Post
Indeed, they will….when the hatchery truck shows up, it’s dinner time….
When they were trying to get rid of the pike and walleye a few years back, I put one in a five gallon pail, for my kid to check out, pretty sure those walleye were starving, that one bards up like 50 scuds, didn’t even know they’d eat scuds, should be good for trout though.
Old 05-17-2023, 06:45 AM

The water chemistry does not support a population of zooplankton that would enable a strong population of minnows. Therefore, there is a very limited prey population to support the walleye. That is why the walleye never got over about 17" skinny runts. If there ever was any reproduction, cannibalism would be a huge factor.
The huge burbot population has also been vastly decreased.
Just because there is water doesn't mean you can stock walleye and they will be successful.

That is why the plan was to switch to trout so they could eat the scuds and other invertebrates.
Need more liberal pike/walleye limits to keep the predator numbers down.
Also would help to stock a larger size of trout
Old 05-17-2023, 08:56 AM

Right now the pike and walleye fishermen are upset that there is a bait ban and no ice fishing at this lake. The trout fishermen are upset as there are too many predators still in the lake. Plenty of pics of people filleting pike with stocked trout in their bellies.
I used to go to this lake as ice off was early and gave a chance of multi species but now it seems we are in for multiple years of subpar fishing for all species.
Old 05-17-2023, 09:46 AM

Not sure why they are not allowing for more pike and walleye harvest. If you are trying for a trout lake you need to put way more pressure on reducing the predators. Not really a complicated solution. You will never get all the pike and walleye, but at least you could make a determined effort to attack the population
Old 05-17-2023, 10:48 AM

It would be interesting to know the percentage of anglers targeting said species in this lake.
Now that a number of lakes in the area are allowing walleye harvest, will the pressure of the predators actually decrease?
Before the bait ban there were always lots of anglers near the bridge set up with P-rigs etc with minnows, worms. The last few times I have gone (2022) these spots are empty as now you will have to cast retrieve non scented lures.
As I said I have given up on this lake for the near future and will wet my line elsewhere.
Pulling 14-15 " walleye and 18-20" pike to help the trout gets boring.
Old 05-17-2023, 06:28 PM

If the pike are only 20", you would think there must be some trout that are escaping predation to grow to a good size. Time will tell I guess
Old 05-19-2023, 07:46 AM

Stocking a lake with trout that has an established population of walleye, pike and burbot in hopes of creating a trophy trout lake is really just poor planning

Not a horrible idea to stock surplus trout in hopes to enhance the overall fishery and add another species to the mix but trout are not going to out compete the predators to become the dominant species

As for pike size don’t kid yourself thinking there is only little pike. Big pike are smart because they are old and when they are well fed they are selective in their feeding habits. Providing a high fat content good size prey item through stocking gives pike the ability to select larger meals and rest for longer periods between meals. They become less likely to expel effort into the small offerings most fishermen will throw

I know for a fact pike much larger than 20inches are being caught commonly out of pine coulee by those targeting them. I have a friend in Calgary that has caught a decent amount of pike between 10-15lbs and a few around 20lbs but he works for them

There will likely be some trout that do make it to trophy size but it will always be a mixed fishery vs a premier trout lake

If you dream of trophy trout in that area maybe push for a change in management to a lake like chain and encourage habitat enhancing combined with stocking shrimp
Old 05-19-2023, 09:54 AM

Agreed Pine Coulee was not a good choice for a quality trout lake. Unfortunately the government is resistant to selecting another lake to manage as a quality fishery.
So anglers will leave the province looking for better water
Old 05-19-2023, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post
Agreed Pine Coulee was not a good choice for a quality trout lake. Unfortunately the government is resistant to selecting another lake to manage as a quality fishery.
So anglers will leave the province looking for better water
There is plenty of good fishing in Alberta if you look for it and that includes trout.

Personally stocked “trophy trout” don’t do it for me especially when there is so many self sustaining options. Even the highly promoted stocked fisheries in B.C. suck compared to many of the less talked about self sustainable populations. The same goes for Alberta

I can respect others enjoy them and support the government providing this style of management/stocking for those who do enjoy theses fisheries. But realistically there is good options beyond theses waters for those who choose to seek them out even here in Alberta

Yes I do trips outside of Alberta but it’s often to experience a different species or style of fishery or just to explore but if anyone thinks there is no quality fishing in Alberta they need to look harder

But to each their own
Old 05-19-2023, 12:11 PM

I agree there are a number of options to catch a variety trout species up to about 20". Surpassing that size, the options dwindle drastically. I have noticed that when people (myself included) catch trout over 24" they tend to get quite excited. There is a strong desire for a lot people to catch bigger trout (evidence was full parking lots at Police outpost and Bullshead in the past, as well as all the visitors that come to the Bow River. If no one cared, there wouldn't be so much traffic at these big fish destinations). While you are content to stay, others will continue to travel for a chance at a better fighting experience.
Enjoy your next adventure
Old 05-19-2023, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post
I agree there are a number of options to catch a variety trout species up to about 20". Surpassing that size, the options dwindle drastically. I have noticed that when people (myself included) catch trout over 24" they tend to get quite excited. There is a strong desire for a lot people to catch bigger trout (evidence was full parking lots at Police outpost and Bullshead in the past, as well as all the visitors that come to the Bow River. If no one cared, there wouldn't be so much traffic at these big fish destinations). While you are content to stay, others will continue to travel for a chance at a better fighting experience.
Enjoy your next adventure
There is more options for large trout than many realize and I am not going to list them. Most are not stocked either.

There is also a difference in the bow that is a self sustaining fishery with a long history vs a stocked lake that will need on going investments to keep going

I am fully aware there is a demand for stock trout of larger size even though it is not a personal interest and for that reason I fully support the creation and development of these fisheries. Big reason theses fisheries become popular is they are easier to find out about too

There is also many like myself who have little interest in fishing for stockies and old worn out broods.

Regardless pine coulee was a poor choice for the dream of this style of fishery. If the development of this style of fishery is going to be attempted money should be invested in bodies of water better suited for it. Instead Alberta is throwing money into a predator pit or lakes that will continue to winter kill or need aeration adding costs

Pick appropriate waters or improve habitat/forage first
Old 05-19-2023, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
There is more options for large trout than many realize and I am not going to list them. Most are not stocked either.

There is also a difference in the bow that is a self sustaining fishery with a long history vs a stocked lake that will need on going investments to keep going

I am fully aware there is a demand for stock trout of larger size even though it is not a personal interest and for that reason I fully support the creation and development of these fisheries. Big reason theses fisheries become popular is they are easier to find out about too

There is also many like myself who have little interest in fishing for stockies and old worn out broods.

Regardless pine coulee was a poor choice for the dream of this style of fishery. If the development of this style of fishery is going to be attempted money should be invested in bodies of water better suited for it. Instead Alberta is throwing money into a predator pit or lakes that will continue to winter kill or need aeration adding costs

Pick appropriate waters or improve habitat/forage first
Most??? I doubt that most of the trophy trout lake lakes in Alberta are self sustaining! I will and do fish for stockies if they are allowed to grow to the 20" plus range with aeration and catch and keep limitations. There are too many "anglers" with white pails waiting for the stoking trucks to arrive in the spring.

Last edited by Mr Flyguy; 05-19-2023 at 10:44 PM.
Old 05-20-2023, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
Most??? I doubt that most of the trophy trout lake lakes in Alberta are self sustaining! I will and do fish for stockies if they are allowed to grow to the 20" plus range with aeration and catch and keep limitations. There are too many "anglers" with white pails waiting for the stoking trucks to arrive in the spring.
I did not specify lake, res, river, or creek.

Like I said stockies are not for me but I understand others enjoy theses fisheries and fully support them. But management goals need to be applied to waters that are suitable for it. If you throw a bunch of trout into a predator pit expect a mixed fishery at best not a dream of a trophy trout fishery.

If you and all the guys with white pails enjoy the stockies and worn out broods all the power to you. I will continue to support these fisheries even if they are not for me
Old 05-20-2023, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
I did not specify lake, res, river, or creek.

Like I said stockies are not for me but I understand others enjoy theses fisheries and fully support them. But management goals need to be applied to waters that are suitable for it. If you throw a bunch of trout into a predator pit expect a mixed fishery at best not a dream of a trophy trout fishery.

If you and all the guys with white pails enjoy the stockies and worn out broods all the power to you. I will continue to support these fisheries even if they are not for me
What makes you think I'm a white pail angler just because I fish stocked lakes?
Caught and released any 18 to 20 inch 'bows, tigers and browns lately?
Old 05-20-2023, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
What makes you think I'm a white pail angler just because I fish stocked lakes?
Caught and released any 18 to 20 inch 'bows, tigers and browns lately?
I didn’t say you were a white pale angler and only referencing them fishing the same stocked lakes as you suggested in your post. Honestly I would not care if you were lined up at a stocked pond with a white bucket. It’s your day out fishing not mine and if your on the up and up it doesn’t matter to me

The start of the season this year had me on evacuation up until just the other day so I have not been out for trout so far. So nothing to start the year

I have only bothered to target tigers once nice looking fish but I don’t enjoy that atmosphere so never returned. Best is only 15 inch overall nothing special but it felt strange fishing the puddle full of people

Browns and rainbows well I know more than a few locations 18-20inches is fairly common to catch at least one if not multiple a day that size. Now breaking 24inch is a lot harder but not out of the question

Honestly there is big browns scattered throughout Alberta and can be found in places many would not expect. There is actually some very big browns that are holding their own with pike but the numbers are not high.

No matter where I have lived people always complain about the fishery instead of looking for the hidden gems. Go try places that are not talked about that you see on the map. You will stumble on some great spots after you sift through enough waters

It doesn’t matter to me though fish wherever you enjoy it’s your day on the water not mine. I am not judging where you fish, how, or what for as it doesn’t matter to me. Like I said I fully support stocked trout lakes/ponds even if they are not for me because I respect others do enjoy them