Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-01-2023, 05:50 PM

Default Suncor to cut 1,500 jobs by end of year

Nice to see those corporate tax decreases helping everyday Albertans!

https://calgaryherald.com/business/e...ormed-thursday
Old 06-01-2023, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csimps View Post

Ha ha ha. Are you serious?

Probably more related to the increase in carbon tax. Keep voting NDP and that will likely increase in the future.
Old 06-01-2023, 06:04 PM

Do you actually believe that corporate tax cuts are responsible for these layoffs?

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 06-01-2023, 06:31 PM

^ I think a better question is whether corporate tax cuts are responsible for job creation (or retention)?
Old 06-01-2023, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csimps View Post

Kevin? Is that you, Kevin??

I couldn’t help myself

I would suggest that a corporate tax decrease would not fit well into a cause / effect analysis of why this decision was made.

Last edited by sns2; 06-01-2023 at 06:51 PM.
Old 06-01-2023, 06:59 PM

Default Boy this is tough for the employees

Wow the company makes 2.75 Billion in the 4th quarter and as soon as the election is over they announce something like this. You can bet that there will be a spin off effect too on companies that provide services to Suncor.

Well we live in a global economy whether we like it or not, and things like this are not always any government's fault.

What would have been the effect if this had been announced before the election? My guess both sides would have put their own spin on it for the bennefit of their supporters.

I feel very sorry for those people who lose their jobs.
Old 06-01-2023, 07:10 PM

They have a pretty bad safety record over there. I can’t think of a recent oilfield death that wasn’t at Suncor
Old 06-01-2023, 07:14 PM

Businesses are in business to make money, why are people surprised they do what they think is best for their share holders?

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-01-2023, 07:31 PM

Default Share Holders Own Corporations

Suncor is owned by individual share holders like myself. Suncor has been a part of my RRSP portfolio for many years and has done me well. I had to work hard for the money needed to purchase Suncor and many other corporate company shares. There has been and continues to be a level of risk when owing corporate shares. I have taken adjustments from time to time but quality corporate shares do recover if one is patient. I want my corporate company shares to be profitable and that is why I have them.

There likely isn't a pension plan that isn't funded to a great extent by the increasing value of corporate shares and the dividends that they produce.
Old 06-01-2023, 07:37 PM

Just to put a bit if reality into the discussion, there were no cuts to corporate tax rate recently. I’ll write more later when I have time and if I still feel like it, lol.
Old 06-01-2023, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
^ I think a better question is whether corporate tax cuts are responsible for job creation (or retention)?
No it's not. Maintain a line of thought here.

I questioned the OP directly on his insinuation.
I doubt I'll get an answer, which in itself will say enough.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 06-01-2023, 08:18 PM

Meh. Conocco is investing in Alberta once again....so that's a positive.
Old 06-01-2023, 08:20 PM

How many of those 1500 were “working” from home since covid?
Old 06-01-2023, 08:32 PM

Elliot Investment Management is calling the shots. They pulled Kruger out of retirement to be the "axeman". They want the share price going up at all costs.
Old 06-01-2023, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Meh. Conocco is investing in Alberta once again....so that's a positive.
And NE BC. Big time. They have their token green thing somewhere no one can remember, but spending 100's of millions on oil & gas. Man, that's a dumb company.

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 06-01-2023, 10:00 PM

hopefully its 1500 out of province fly in workers , hopefully from toronto.
Old 06-01-2023, 10:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolpete1 View Post
Hopefully it’s 1500 people that were ndp supporters.
Old 06-01-2023, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolpete1 View Post
Seems to me a lot are Maritimers, especially Newfies. It's become a way of life for them, they work here but never develop any permanent ties to the province.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 06-01-2023, 11:54 PM

Default Suncor to cut 1,500 jobs by end of year

Tongue in cheek here folks. Suncor’s new CEO has been under pressure to make changes. This was unfortunately inevitable and I’m sure has little or nothing to do with politics. I feel for the people that will be impacted by this. Never fun.

And for the record I’m cheering for the UCP to win the Stanley cup…teams these days right? Where do we get the jerseys?
Old 06-02-2023, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
And NE BC. Big time. They have their token green thing somewhere no one can remember, but spending 100's of millions on oil & gas. Man, that's a dumb company.

Second only to BP LOL!! It's amazing Companies like them and Imperial make money in spite of themselves.
Old 06-02-2023, 06:17 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
Seems to me a lot are Maritimers, especially Newfies. It's become a way of life for them, they work here but never develop any permanent ties to the province.

Grizz
Some have and never went back....if they were not here working then who would? The Oil/gas industry is about extreme highs and lows with very little time in between.

Hope the best for those getting laid off.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-02-2023, 06:38 AM

Suncor strings together a few months without fatalities and the employees get rewarded with some layoffs.

My Father was with them for 35 years and for the most part Suncor always staved off lay offs even during the the hard times. Definitely feel for those that will be affected.
Old 06-02-2023, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post

Grizz
Having worked in the oilsands for 35 years, a lot of those people that came from the Atlantic provinces, now live here, and support the industry on and off the job. But yes, many still fly in to work, and don't add anything to the local community or the local economy. And even some that did live and work in Alberta, move back east after they retire, and then vote for the liberals, who are trying to destroy the industry that pays the pensions of these people.
Old 06-02-2023, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Businesses are in business to make money, why are people surprised they do what they think is best for their share holders?
Bingo! You hit the nail on the head. Trickle down economics doesn't work, most of the money trickles down into the greedy guys pocket and we get pennies.
Old 06-02-2023, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe View Post
Bingo! You hit the nail on the head. Trickle down economics doesn't work, most of the money trickles down into the greedy guys pocket and we get pennies.
You get pennies when you accept pennies.
Old 06-02-2023, 09:09 AM

The way they waited till days after the election to announce this is priceless.
Old 06-02-2023, 09:26 AM

Laying workers off and pressuring Alberta Government to keep your taxes low always works to bring your stock price up. We Have "****ed Away" our Alberta Oil booms with bad management of our province. Our grand Children will pay the price for our incompetence.
Old 06-02-2023, 09:45 AM

This is a good explanation of why Suncor is laying off. Really comes down to cost per barrel, Suncor has to trim the fat. https://twitter.com/BushelsPerAcre/s...72079427829760
Old 06-02-2023, 11:43 AM

1500, you don't say...I doubt they'll even notice this headcount loss. I have several friends in SU and to say the outfit is bloated is an understatement. I'm guessing they could go a lot deeper and still not feel it.

They have made a few amazing decisions, like canning the Voyageur project twice, well over a billion lost, Buying (or trying to) a pile of garbage assets from Total (Surmont was the only valuable asset).

The safety record speaks for itself, I've always looked at this as a barometer to how the business is run and leadership engagement. Kruger is brought in to do what others couldn't and he will clean house as he is a new face.

I'm sorry for the folks losing their jobs, the saddest part is that the shoddy leadership (at all levels) are usually the ones that remain. There are a few other large O&Gs that might be doing this next.
Old 06-02-2023, 01:52 PM

Report says they have 16,558 so a 9% reduction in employees.

Not a lot of exploration going on relative to years past.

How many will want a retirement package.

How many will be forced to take an early retirement package due to age and be stuck trying to find a job.

Wonder if senior management will take a pay decrease to show they are impacted also.

I 100% agree companies need to be profitable and carbon taxes and problems associated with moving project through federal approval is hard.

Future risk of government intervention relative to investment decisions of today is the less mentioned issue.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin