Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-03-2023, 04:51 PM

Default Lake Newell and wind

How windy is too windy for a 14ft with a 20hp? Looks like 10 to 13km/h from the south or southeast. Never been on Newell in a boat
Old 06-03-2023, 07:29 PM

That lake can get rough. Crawling Valley same neck of the woods but doesn't get as rough.

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 06-03-2023, 07:49 PM

Default The west is different!

Be careful out there, it can get too windy very very fast! We used to lose a duck hunter or two every fall, usually fellows recently from Ontario not familiar with the prairies and wind.
When on the water always pay attention to the weather, often from the west!
Old 06-03-2023, 07:53 PM

I'd say you are correct, 10-15km/hr gets choppy on larger or open lakes without hills/trees to provide protection. Usually you can find a bay or somewhere on the windward side where it's less choppy - but a little wind goes a long way to making it unpleasant out there trying to hold a line and get anywhere above a certain speed.

I have a boat with higher sides and a windshield, made for bigger water, but even for me, after about 15km/hr it gets to be "work" to keep boat control. I usually stay in above 20-25km/hr. unless there is a sheltered spot I can fish for the day.

Also makes launch and loading a pain.
Old 06-04-2023, 01:09 AM

I am fishing out of a 16' with a 30horse. Once Newell gets around 25-30K its getting to big for me and I am off. If the wind is from the east you can fish the entire east side of the lake and not have to worry to much, but if it changes directions it will get rough pretty quick. Unfortunately not a lot of islands out there to hide from the wind.

I would think your boat will be fine in a 10-15k wind. But if you think it will get windier, I would stick closer to the launch so you don't have to make a big run to get home in questionable conditions. I have also fished Rolling Hills on days when Newell is to windy. It doesn't get the waves that Newell does.
Old 06-04-2023, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith88 View Post
How windy is too windy for a 14ft with a 20hp? Looks like 10 to 13km/h from the south or southeast. Never been on Newell in a boat
If that is the worst it will get that can be done. But if there is a chance it can get worse...... It can be a very nasty lake if the wind kicks up.

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-04-2023, 07:48 AM

Yes that lake can get nasty in a hurry. Quite a few years ago we got on the water at 7 am with a little breeze and by 8:30 we were fighting 2 ft waves in our 16 ft. Was so bad our lures were popping out between the waves. Played it smart and got off the water. It got way worse that day and didn't let up. Be safe out there. Know your limit with the conditions. Wear your PFD's. You can catch some decent fish weather permitting.
Old 06-04-2023, 09:07 AM

I own a 14ft Lund 20hp as well....

I am not quite sure what 10 to 13km/h wind looks like. However I watch the water and when the waves are consistently rolling white regardless of height; I am already looking to fish a little closer to shore or closer to the marina.

I wear a PFD all the time and so do my passengers....

Be safe boys and girls.....

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 06-04-2023, 09:19 AM

I get off or stay off if there are whitecaps on the lake, not sure what the windspeed would be. It's no fun fishing when it's too rough anyway.
Old 06-04-2023, 06:58 PM

I fish Newell a lot. I hate when the weather says 5-15 km cause the lake will will be dead calm and the bugs and heat get to u. 10-25 is great. Great walleye bite breeze. 20-35 or more I don’t bother. Or fish the few bays.
Old 06-04-2023, 10:20 PM

Thanks for the info everyone. Stay safe out there
Old 06-05-2023, 10:02 AM

dont rely 100% on the forecasts. Wind can pop up out of the blue and be gone just as fast and especially TWN couldnt predict a days weather if they had a crystal ball I see it regularly down here

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 06-06-2023, 08:35 PM

In addition to what Wayne was just saying. I always check the forecast the morning of and sometimes throughout the day. I usually use the Windy ap and find it pretty accurate.
Old 06-06-2023, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes_G View Post
In addition to what Wayne was just saying. I always check the forecast the morning of and sometimes throughout the day. I usually use the Windy ap and find it pretty accurate.

Ditto for what Wes said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk