Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-05-2023, 10:51 AM

Default Air Canada rant

So I have had a flight booked with AC for my son and I to go fishing for several months. He was unfortunately hurt pretty bad recently (vertabrae fractures) and is unable to go on this trip. So I have found someone else to take his spot. I phoned AC to change my sons name to my friends name... sounds like a simple change. "Sorry we cant do that, as of Jan 2023, we no longer allow names changes... I asked how that makes any sense. They already have my money, how is it so inconvenient that they simply can't change a name? 'Sorry those are the rules, he says..."
I have asked for somebody above his pay grade to call me as this is not satisfactory with me. So now I get to wait 24-48 hours for a call.
Has anyone tried changing a name on a flight and had success (with Air Canada)?
I went against my internal rule of never booking with AC again because they actually fly into Rupert Vs Terrace. It seems I am already regretting this decision and I haven't even got on the plane.
God, do I hate Air Canada...
Old 06-05-2023, 11:04 AM

It is not just Air Canada, it is most airlines. They do not generally allow ticket transfers from one person to another. Even fixing a spelling error can be a huge pain. The next person you talk to (if they call back at all) is likely going to tell you the same thing, unfortunately.

Sorry to hear about your son. Hopefully, he recovers quickly and completely.
Old 06-05-2023, 11:23 AM

Wow, I am surprised to hear this. What would 1 good reason be to not allow a name change? Hell, charge a reasonable fee for this, I don't think many would care.
Old 06-05-2023, 11:33 AM

Default Air Canada

Air Canada's motto continues to be : We're not happy till you're not happy"!
Hope your son recovers soon!
Old 06-05-2023, 11:37 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

What a crock, hope it works out for you and a speedy healthy recovery for your son.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-05-2023, 12:29 PM

Default Air Canada

The wife and I had our 'Never fly AC ever again' moment this spring. We went to visit our son in Atlanta GA and I guess there wasn't enough people on the flight so they just cancelled it 2 hours before takeoff. No one at the ticket window, just some guy standing there handing out pieces of paper with a 1-800 number on it that nobody answered. This was on a Saturday and when we finally heard back from our travel agent they were offering another return flight on WEDNESDAY! Thanks. Never again.
Old 06-05-2023, 12:33 PM

Yeah you probably needed to purchase a more expensive ticket to allow for the name change/transfer cancellation.

For Example
$600 round trip no refunds cancellation.
$700 refund or transfer via credit.

It is not just Air Canada, it is all airlines as far as I can see from when I have been looking at flights.
Old 06-05-2023, 12:40 PM

Did you purchase with a credit card? You may have trip cancellation insurance that would cover both parties but May work for just one. Then get the refund and the buddy can buy a ticket.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 06-05-2023, 12:40 PM

Default air canada

whats wrong with this picture???
1 you booked with air canada
2,3,4 you booked with air canada
Old 06-05-2023, 12:42 PM

First off, thank you for the well wishes for my son! He is doing better everyday, unfortunately will have to wait till next year to go to the west coast... He was so looking forward to this trip.

Well I am in shock and feel I may be dreaming but I just received a call from a supervisor.
We discussed the situation and he did say that all tickets are non transferrable etc... to which I said that it was ridiculous and how can anyone predict an accident or any other unforeseen circumstance, there must be something they can do in these situations.
Whatever magic he made happen, he came back after putting me on hold and said that he will make the change this one time... I am happy that he was able to do this but until this trip goes without a issue, I will be holding my breath. I guess I have to eat crow a bit on how AC typically handles things as I would have never guessed they would have made an exception. I just wasn't going to lose the flight without me giving the upper management a piece of my mind. I guess I can cancel a couple letters I was preparing to send...

Anyway, just thought I would let you all know.
Old 06-05-2023, 12:59 PM

I'm thinking on his side of things he cancelled your sons booking. Then rebooked that seat with the new travelers name.
Old 06-05-2023, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNOutdoorsman View Post
First off, thank you for the well wishes for my son! He is doing better everyday, unfortunately will have to wait till next year to go to the west coast... He was so looking forward to this trip.

Well I am in shock and feel I may be dreaming but I just received a call from a supervisor.
We discussed the situation and he did say that all tickets are non transferrable etc... to which I said that it was ridiculous and how can anyone predict an accident or any other unforeseen circumstance, there must be something they can do in these situations.
Whatever magic he made happen, he came back after putting me on hold and said that he will make the change this one time... I am happy that he was able to do this but until this trip goes without a issue, I will be holding my breath. I guess I have to eat crow a bit on how AC typically handles things as I would have never guessed they would have made an exception. I just wasn't going to lose the flight without me giving the upper management a piece of my mind. I guess I can cancel a couple letters I was preparing to send...

Sounds like somebody did a good job at customer service, and helped you out in your situation. Times like that, I always give credit where it is due. It is always easy to be angry at situations, we should try and be just as quick to be happy when they are resolved.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 06-05-2023, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Wow, I am surprised to hear this. What would 1 good reason be to not allow a name change? Hell, charge a reasonable fee for this, I don't think many would care.
Because where else you going to go? Westjet? Same stupid rules apply. And no don’t charge a fee, they charged your fee when you paid for the ticket in full upon booking. It should be “no i paid for it I’ll put whomevers name I want on it when we show up to go”
Old 06-05-2023, 01:32 PM

Quote:

Great to hear, obviously tact came into play on your end and the supervisor made the change which obviously is in his power but had you gone berserk you would have been SOL.

Old 06-05-2023, 01:41 PM

Joining in on the well-wishes for your son's recovery! Hope he heals up soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Sounds like somebody did a good job at customer service, and helped you out in your situation. Times like that, I always give credit where it is due. It is always easy to be angry at situations, we should try and be just as quick to be happy when they are resolved.
X2, that's refreshing, when someone at an airline like AC is willing to help out when they can. Not the outcome I expected, for sure. Good to hear!
Old 06-05-2023, 01:41 PM

I don't recall the airline (perhaps United??) but a few years ago, we booked round trip tickets from Calgary to Dallas for a wedding. After the tickets were booked, my son told me had had an exam and had to delay his departure. I called and asked about changing his departure time and the cost to do that was extremely high, so I simply bought him a one-way ticket (Calgary to Dallas) and decided we would not use the original Calgary to Dallas ticket I had bought.
Everything was fine until we got to the airport in Dallas to come back to Calgary. The agent said that because he was not on the original flight from Calgary to Dallas, they had NO OBLIGATION to let him make the return journey.
I don't recall if the one-way ticket we had bought was on the same or different airline.
We had to do some begging and pleading and they let him on the return flight .
I have a lot of experience flying, but this was a new one for me.
The other amazing thing is that you buy a ticket weeks in advance, pay for it, and when you get to the airport, it is more than amazing to me when they say something like "well, we will see if we can get you a seat on this flight..."
At best, you are a "bum in the seat" and at worst, a "bum with no seat"
People that admire travellers don't actually travel!
Old 06-05-2023, 07:02 PM

I'm glad you got the situation resolved.

But it's not just AC, if you buy the cheapest fare on ANY airline, it's no changes, no cancellations.

If you want flexibility, you have to pay a little more for it.
Old 06-05-2023, 07:55 PM

We just booked a Westjet flight to Comox. After exorbitant ticket prices, fees, taxes etc. etc. We had to buy a seat. Not an upgrade or exit seat or anything fancy.....just a seat. I doubt "no thanks, I'll stand" would work......
Old 06-05-2023, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~altiplano~ View Post
I'm glad you got the situation resolved.

But it's not just AC, if you buy the cheapest fare on ANY airline, it's no changes, no cancellations.

If you want flexibility, you have to pay a little more for it.
EXACTLY - buy the flex fare that allows cancellations and changes and you will not have this issue. It's usually a little more money but eliminates this issue.
Old 06-05-2023, 08:03 PM

Taxes on airlines and air travel in Canada are the worst in the world.

From airport rents to excise taxes to improvement fees, now carbon taxes and more, Canadians are treated like cash cows.

No surprise the federal government has screwed up this sector, Liberals particularly, but the Cons aren't much better during their periods of power.
Old 06-06-2023, 05:58 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
EXACTLY - buy the flex fare that allows cancellations and changes and you will not have this issue. It's usually a little more money but eliminates this issue.
Yup....that’s what we do cuz ya never know and it sure is easier and worth the little extra cash.

Old 06-06-2023, 07:08 AM

It's a "race to the bottom" in terms of service with airlines. I fly about every other year and it would seem that when I go to book, there are always new/lower-cost (lower service/no flexibility) options each time. I sometimes can't believe what I'm seeing and even call to confirm. I won't pay to select a seat so even on WJ's (previous) lowest fair, you could pick from what's left 24 hours before your flight at no extra cost. Seems that option might be gone too.

Recently booked a family vacation and I'm bringing the wife/adult kids to AB this summer. Peak season and in spite of the expense, included cancellation insurance. Bitter pill to swallow, but lots of moving pcs. with a family of 5, you never know.

Hope the OP gets this changed to his satisfaction. If the flight is still a ways out, I'd really press and even be prepared to offer proof of your son's inability to go. Shouldn't have to, but could change the conversation..?
Old 06-06-2023, 07:35 AM

It’s been a horrendous decline over the last decade+ & they’re ALL making up for lost revenue durning CV19. It’s brutal to fly anywhere with any airline. Always take cash if entitled to compensation. Never credits, they make it damn near flipping impossible to use them. The CTA is completely ineffective with a backlog to the moon & back and the airlines know it (lieberals aren’t keen to force the issue either). Try to fly direct if at all possible. It’s just pure chaos. If things are going to be this bad, may as well just open up the market.