Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-10-2012, 08:32 PM

Default Hey jerky makers

So I am planing a fathers day filled with lots of smoked meats. I have a pork belly rubbed and going to smoke to try bacon.

Going to smoke a few lbs of chicken breast for a batch of southwest egg rolls.

But the big thing is going to be my first batch of jerky. Its going to be ground jerky. The plan is to mix deer with pork at a ratio of 4-1. Using the Alberta jerky spice blend from ctr. Gonna spread the mix on cookie sheets and toss in the smoker. So how thick should I spread it, how long will it take to cook? Any other suggestion or pointers?
Thanks.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallAirFever View Post
So I am planing a fathers day filled with lots of smoked meats. I have a pork belly rubbed and going to smoke to try bacon.

Going to smoke a few lbs of chicken breast for a batch of southwest egg rolls.

But the big thing is going to be my first batch of jerky. Its going to be ground jerky. The plan is to mix deer with pork at a ratio of 4-1. Using the Alberta jerky spice blend from ctr. Gonna spread the mix on cookie sheets and toss in the smoker. So how thick should I spread it, how long will it take to cook? Any other suggestion or pointers?
Thanks.
1/4" @ 185. once you get to the hour and 10 min mark start watching it every couple minutes, this is the sweet period, wait to long its crap, take it out to soon its crap. Only takes a min or two to go either way. FYI this is with muscle meat slices, so I dunno how much different ground meat would be, but I assume it wouldnt be much different for cooking times
Old 06-10-2012, 09:38 PM

Mix all the ingredients and pack it into one of those 8 x 8 cake tins. They are about 2 or 2.5 inches deep.

Line the cake time first with wax paper.

Freeze it solid

When frozen, remove it from the tin 9thus teh wax paper), and use a meat slicer to slice it into 1/4 inch wide strips. Each strip ends up being 8 x 2 x .25 inches.

place the strips on the rack in the smoker

Works excellent, although you do need an electric meat slicer
Old 06-11-2012, 09:53 AM
Banned

The plastic jerky guns from any sporting goods store work like a hot damn,I use mine all the time.Foolproof.