Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-12-2010, 09:18 PM

Default Children's fish limits

Ignorant C&R fisherman looking for clarification. When fishing with the family, do the kids who are actively fishing their own rods have the opportunity to fill their own fish limits independent of their parent's limit?
I'm talking about kids 10-16 years old (not bringing the babies out for another limit).
Old 12-12-2010, 09:21 PM
Banned

yup. if the kid is old enough to work his/her own rod. they get to catch their own limit. i have seen it too where dad brings out a kid who cant use their own rod, or even have an interest to get that other limit. i really dont know if a CO has much discretion in what is acceptable there???
Old 12-12-2010, 09:27 PM

The limit is a personal limit. Dad can't catch limit for himself and the kid. The kid must catch his/her own fish and keep his/her own fish.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:02 PM

I thought it was: if fishing with a child there limit went under the licence holder????
Old 12-12-2010, 10:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Threat View Post
I thought it was: if fishing with a child there limit went under the licence holder????
Children have no license but still the full limits as a licensed angler
Old 12-12-2010, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
yup. if the kid is old enough to work his/her own rod. they get to catch their own limit. i have seen it too where dad brings out a kid who cant use their own rod, or even have an interest to get that other limit. i really dont know if a CO has much discretion in what is acceptable there???
If the CO is watching dad pull out and catch over his quota, then they have full powers to fine them. How often that really happens is probably pretty rare, hence why you see lots of parents fishing with kids that aren't even holding a fishing rod.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshotz View Post
If the CO is watching dad pull out and catch over his quota, then they have full powers to fine them. How often that really happens is probably pretty rare, hence why you see lots of parents fishing with kids that aren't even holding a fishing rod.
Yup, introduce 'em to poaching at an early age. Learn to break the law from dear old Dad. Hey kids, watch Dad lie to the CO and say YOU caught all those fish!
Old 12-13-2010, 10:12 AM

Exclamation Speaking from EXPERIENCE!

As some of you may know I had a personal experience with this last year. Was fishing with my 4 yr old nephew and had 4 holes; 2 rods in holders and 2 tip ups. We C&R anyways but that's not the point. The boy got cold and went into the car to warm up; but still legally within 30m of all holes. Well he fell asleep just as the CO approached. All was legal but because he fell asleep the CO said "you're going to have a hard time convincing me he is fishing." Agreed. I should have noticed and pulled up 2 lines. Got fully inspected for barbless hooks, licenses, booze etc. Pulled up 2 lines and and got a severe slap on the wrist.

In the meantime, my buddy and his GF 50 feet away also with 4 holes got the same treatment as she was napping in their truck.

Bottom line is:

- child (or adult for that matter) has to be attentive and watching his/her rods within 30 metres of holes
- child is consider a licensed fisherman but must adhere to the same rules as adults and actually "work" their own equipment; of course at that age there is nothing wrong with an adult assisting in baiting, set up and even helping reel a fish in but the child has to be making an effort

A little off topic but definitely, a child has his/her own limit as long as they follow the same rules and regs an adult would.

Think we got off easy because I was able to show the CO a photo of my nephew's first pike he caught, which was released. (photo attached)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Optimized-IMG_0527.JPG (52.6 KB, 155 views)
Old 12-13-2010, 10:54 AM

This is no different that a bunch of people (regardless of age) go out fishing. Buddy #1 is hot and catches lots of fish, lets say you are fishing a 1 over 43 cm walleye lake. He can only legally keep one of his fish. He can't catch and keep a fish for his buddy who isn't catching squat. Not a lot of people follow this I'm sure but I have known a couple that were out, husband caught all the "keepers", came back in to shore and the CO gave them a ticket and confiscated the fish as he was watching them from shore with binos.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:43 PM

When we were starting to fish as a family I read through the regs trying to find the answer to the original question below. I could not find it. I asked at WSS and a fellow there told me kid's fish count against the parents license. He intimated this was something everyone should know and wanted me to think I was a bit clueless for asking. I thought this wasn't correct but since I could find nothing to the contrary I believed him since he should have known since he worked in a fishing department.

So after reading the answers in this thread I looked through the regs again and find nothing that answers this question explicitly. The closest is on page 14 where the regs states youths don't require a license.

Is there a locations that spells this out clearly? It really should be addressed in the regs.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:27 PM

X2 - it does need to be clarified, I would not mind the bit of being involved with the fishing to be added.

But I don't know how you could enforce that, I remember when the boys were little they would fish for a bit, run around, fish for a bit, go get a snack etc.

Mind you in those days I did not even come close to catching a limit of fish with the boys around let alone 4.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:47 PM

Alberta Sportfishing Licence Requirements

An Alberta Sportfishing Licence is required to fish in Alberta (see Licences and Costs, above and sportfishing definition). If you are under 16 years of age, an Alberta resident aged 65 or older, or a registered Indian under the Indian Act, you are not required to have a Sportfishing Licence, but you must follow sportfishing regulations. Sportfishing licences are not required when a person is sportfishing on a designated Free Fishing Weekend.

-Being that bag limits are part of the province wide sportfishing regulations, I don't feel there is any need for clarification.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:59 PM

I think the closest it comes is a combination of page 16 and 18:

If you are under 16 years of age, an Alberta resident aged 65 or
older, or a registered Indian under the Indian Act, you are not required to
have a Sportfishing Licence, but you must follow sportfishing regulations.

In this Guide the word “limit” refers to the number of fish you are
allowed to keep or have in your possession. As outlined below, you may
not exceed the limit at any water body fished, nor possess more fish than
the provincewide maximum. If the fish you catch is of a legal species and legal size, immediately decide to release or keep it as part of your day’s limit. Fish kept on a stringer or a live well are considered retained and are part of your limit