Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-13-2010, 12:46 AM
Banned

Default UW Cameras

I was thinking of getting one but after cruising the buy and sell there seems to be tonnes of them for resale. Are they not as much fun as they look or what?
Old 12-13-2010, 04:58 AM

Default Fish cameras

It is like everything else in life. What do you expect out of it. Some say flashers are better some say cameras. Then what do you want to do, have some entertainment watching the fish or just knowing they are there. Then do you want black & white or color. Do you want to be able to record off of it. When all this adds up if you go to the top end it is lots of bucks and I think some get disappointed for what they spend. I like the basic b&w fish tv. Costs a hundred bucks. Gives a little entertainment and I don't feel bad for not spending a bunch of money. Does it catch me more fish? Proably not but when things are slow at least it gives us something to talk about. The other nice thing with a camera is you can see the structure etc. below. To each his own..
Old 12-13-2010, 06:01 AM

If you are fishing shallower (<30') bottom oriented fish in fairly clear water, cameras are awesome. Very entertaining, I enjoy watching the fish as much as catching though. For those that site fish, a downward facing camera can help with back strain looking down the hole and can be set in a close by hole anywhere from ice level on down.

That said a flasher or good fishfinder would be another useful icefishing tool. I have found that my LMS332 and LMS337 work great in that role and use them on my boat in in the truck(GPS) as well. If you want one specific for ice fishing then you should consider a flasher (cheaper too).
Old 12-13-2010, 07:13 AM

IMO underwater cameras are a toy more than a tool. Yes they can absolutely useful at times, especially for determining bottom composition, but after that they're just more entertaining than anything.

That being said, I'd wager a lot of the people that are selling theirs are upgrading to a higher end model

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 12-13-2010, 07:19 AM

Wink i like my underwater camera there awsome

it's fun too see wats goin on down there
Old 12-13-2010, 07:22 AM

Ive used mine for a couple weeks now, and I have caught more fish than I would have without one, especially perch, fishing in 20 feet of fairly murky water and being able to see the fish bite even if the marmish didnt indicate anything was great. Ive used my fishfinder last winter, and it tells you fish are down there, but not what kinds of fish. I found 2 species in my favorite lake that I didnt even know were in there by watching the camera. For what I spent I am very happy with it.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 12-13-2010, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
IMO underwater cameras are a toy more than a tool. Yes they can absolutely useful at times, especially for determining bottom composition, but after that they're just more entertaining than anything.
Not true! There is nothing i've learned more about presentation, jigging motion, what triggers a bite, finicky fish, what lures attract, what lures scare away, etc etc, that I would have never known without using a camera.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:27 PM

WayneChristie and nicemustang summed it up very well.

And using a camera will enable me to continue to learn about the fish and their behavior. No matter how good the fisherman, there is always more to learn.

A camera is always a part of my gear!
Old 12-13-2010, 04:49 PM

What would you recommend for a camera?
Where is a good place to pick one up in edmonton
Old 12-13-2010, 06:55 PM

Depends on your budget.

I have an aqua vu scout - can record this one with an aqua vu recorder.
paid about $250.00 ish? plus the recorder.

I have a new Marcum VS825SD it is color and BW with 8" screen (cant wait to get it out on the ice).
paid about $720.00

Also have Marcum 820 B&W with 8 inch screen. Works awesome.

The marcums are awesome and considered top end. But I dont mind the aqua vu either (worst part about it is the 5" screen).

You can find cameras that range from about $150.00 up to $720.00 or so.

Try WSS or The fishin hole.

Marcum also has a 6" VS620SD for about $550 I think.

Cant go wrong with Marcum but you might want to check with Cabelas too.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicemustang View Post
Not true! There is nothing i've learned more about presentation, jigging motion, what triggers a bite, finicky fish, what lures attract, what lures scare away, etc etc, that I would have never known without using a camera.
X2 very useful for all the reasons listed above IMO
Old 12-13-2010, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicemustang View Post
Fair argument...I respectfully retract my statement

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams