Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-13-2010, 04:20 PM

Default How much will this warm weather affect ice thickness? (Southwestern AB)

The weather has been quite mild in the crowsnest pass area for the last few days. i was out on Lee lake about 2 weeks ago and the ice was about 6" thick but haven't been out since. Can anyone tell me if the ice will for sure be safe to fish this week? My dad is coming out thursday and friday and wouldn't mind going out. THanks guys.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:31 PM

Hey Jeff,

I was out most of the day today. There was a BIG patch of water on top of the ice, and the ice quality wasn't great. Kind of slushy, but the fishing was great. Its been really warm the last couple days here too. Depending on the weather the rest of the week, you might be ok. Definitely don't just walk out there though, be cautious if this warm weather continues. Drill a couple holes as you walk to check the ice thickness. Also, have you tried those spots I told you about?

Erik
Old 12-13-2010, 10:02 PM

went out and checked crowsnest lake ice last week and there was a good 12". Not sure how the warm weather has effected it since. Gonna try grave lake this set of days off see what we find up there.