Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 12:18 PM

Nothing happened to them. Their website was down, but I was just there on Thursday, huge rifle , and scope sale. didn't have the CZ 75/85 I was looking for tho.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firegod74 View Post
I was in there once when the salesman was being rude to a customer. The guy wanted a laser sight for his shotgun to go goose hunting. The salesman told him how stupid that was. True that might have been rude, but wholesale would have happily let him waste his money. Thats not the kin of friend I need.
Milarm has always been good to me. They have disassembled a gun to sell me the parts I need for mine, I have bought boots from them and they were willing to deal in a knife for me. And the safety boots they have are the most comfortable I have ever owned. Though they do look like they might not last as long as the chunks of leather you get at Marks.
You know, some folks just gotta take perhaps a different perspective. I frequent the store often and have never, ever been insulted. Tell have however, on several occasions, suggested other ideas to me when they either knew or suspected that I would not be happy or satisfied with my ideas. They take the "customer is always right, and shove it out the door, because sometimes, we customers can be idiots too.

That's called "honesty" and in my dealings, they have been completely honest and treated me fairly. Sometimes prices are higher and sometimes the product is some bulk purchase, but y'know, they are one of the few whom will tell me that I might have problems in the future.

Wholesale Sports (I was there yesterday) was NOT busy at gun counter and I felt like I was intruding on their "quiet time".
Old 05-25-2011, 01:04 PM

iv had nothing but good experiences with them and im in calgary so i had to deal with them over the phone and had no issues at all and that was befor i bought to guns from them and was jsut looking for some question to be answered . i work in the public service and trust me its hard to keep a good attitude when half your custmomers are *******s but after time they weed themselves out and your left with the good guys!
Old 05-26-2011, 07:32 AM

I always liked going to Milarm ( 20 plus years) Everytime I was in there I was treated politely. I found prices reasonable on most items , but some knives where way over-priced.

I went to P&D to ask about scopes and get a sling stud the same day. I waited 20 plus minutes to get help AFTER I asked at the counter. Staff is too busy playing with themselves behind the counter and not paying attention to customers.

Milarm gets my business as long as the item is at a good price.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:11 PM

I've had nothing but great experiences in Milarm - I had my 8 year old with me last summer and the owner spent the better part of an hour showing him literally every handgun in the store, answered every question and helped foster in him a love of the sport.

Been back many times to spend as a result.
Old 06-24-2011, 05:36 AM

Default milarm

I have never been to Milarm, but I have bought a few things from over the phone. When I phone a shop, I always try to deal with the same person, in this case it is Gord. He was always helpful, and has even suggested things that I might be interested in that were not listed on the Milarm site. He steered me towards buyng a couple of dozen boxes of .455, in original military boxes.

On the other hand I dealt with an owner, whose name I forget. He spent the first part of the conversation downplaying Gord's knowledge of milsurp firearms. Bad show on his part. I did not buy anything that time, but I talked to Gord the next day and did.

So how is the service? I think it varies by the man.
Old 07-15-2015, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear crossing View Post
My sugestion is go see for yourself.i've delt with the folks there for close to 30yrs. Every one from the owners right down to the janitor lady they used to have treated me very well any time i was there.i've bought new ,used or what have you.sometimes i would go there just to bs. So like i said check them out.
I can tell you that I bought my first gun there. Mainly an impulse buy and I couldn't find that specific gun anywhere else.

But every time I go in there they treat me like crap. They insult; are rude, and condescending. I even took my helper with me in there once. And after we left he asked me why is that guy treating me ike dirt.

I don't care where you go. Just don't go there unless you are a sucker for punishment.
They even gave me some wrong and outright false information several times.

I do look like crap when I go there. Usually after work still waking my work clothing. But you'd think after they have seen my R-PAL and sold me a gun, two red dot sights, and a bunch of ammo, along with sevetal accessories they would start to treat me half decent.

Not a freaking chance in hell.

I gave them several chances over the last year. I'm buying my next gun elsewhere even if it's more money.

And watch out for that early thirties pudgy guy with a dark bear. He is the absolute worst to deal with. Acts like he knows his stuff and knows better than you when he clearly does not.

I ain't spending 30 years there and dating the cleaning lady just to have them treat me half decent. I'll just take my money elsewhere.

Seriously, they are the absolute worst to deal with. I'd rather buy my next gun from an Amenian in a dark alley.

Every other shop in town treats me decent - P&D, Phoenix, Wild West, Cabela's, Wholesale - all of them decent and knowledgeable. But not these morons.

Last edited by Pepe; 07-15-2015 at 05:14 PM.
Old 07-15-2015, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepe View Post

Seriously, they are the absolute worst to deal with. I'd rather buy my next gun from an Amenian in a dark alley.
Priceless!
Laughter tears roll all over my eyes.
You made my day
Old 07-15-2015, 07:02 PM
Banned

I have an issue with Milarm.

I do not like my firearms licence being taken into a back room to be photocopied or abused when I purchased. some 16 gauge slugs.

No more purchases from milarm.

Sort of a slumy place.
Old 07-15-2015, 08:04 PM

I'm sure things have changed for the better in the four years since this thread was started...........
Old 07-15-2015, 08:40 PM

Default Milarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Dover View Post
I've had nothing but great experiences in Milarm - I had my 8 year old with me last summer and the owner spent the better part of an hour showing him literally every handgun in the store, answered every question and helped foster in him a love of the sport.

Been back many times to spend as a result.
I have never been in the store, but have ordered by phone and the product and price were good.
Old 07-16-2015, 03:08 AM

Old thread but I was in the store a couple of months ago after not having been there for 20 years because I didn't live in Edmonton. Looks pretty much the same. Guys working the day I was there seemed friendly enough. One of them spent a lot of time with two older ladies who know nothing about guns, helping them pick out a handgun for a present and never seemed to be condescending or short tempered.

After one visit, if you like old military stuff it seems well worth a visit to me.
Old 07-16-2015, 04:19 AM
Banned

Been in there a couple times over the years and I've always been treated fine.
Old 07-16-2015, 07:56 AM

So, they don't give free backrubs while every mouth breather going through town gets grimy fingerprints all over their new guns. (Still in their filthy work clothes.)
They usually have the best deal on 7.62x39 around.
I have never been treated badly there.
On weekends they're pretty busy, so you have to wait for a minute to talk to someone, but that's the only knock I have against them. (They must be doing something right to be so busy.)
And, the museum upstairs is really something to behold.
Old 07-16-2015, 09:17 AM
Banned

Whilst I do most of my shopping at P&D because it's a 2 min walk from work, I have bought numerous items from Milarm that P&D doesn't carry (a lot of 5.11 stuff).
Never been treated poorly. I've asked some pretty 'newbie' questions at times and have always been given informative answers without any attitude.
I have noticed one thing though...they don't suffer gladly the customer who walks in and tries to show how much they know.
Gotta admit...I used to be in retail and had little patience for the person with a a chip on their shoulder who was out to prove how much more he knew that we behind the counter.
Old 07-16-2015, 09:42 AM
Banned

They don't have much in there store , reminds of a old smelly army surplus store
Old 07-16-2015, 05:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by levigne25 View Post
They don't have much in there store , reminds of a old smelly army surplus store
Although I've never been there, the name itself implies old military stuff. There was or still is such a store in Calgary. And yes, the place when I visited it had a kinda of old mildew stench to it. They had fake grenades, old clothing, netting, gas masks, helmets, boots and they sort of stuff that has zero interest. When I was there, the other patrons looked like weirdo's to me. Is this what this Milarm place is like ???
Old 07-16-2015, 06:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
Although I've never been there, the name itself implies old military stuff. There was or still is such a store in Calgary. And yes, the place when I visited it had a kinda of old mildew stench to it. They had fake grenades, old clothing, netting, gas masks, helmets, boots and they sort of stuff that has zero interest. When I was there, the other patrons looked like weirdo's to me. Is this what this Milarm place is like ???
Milarm is nothing like an old surplus place gitrdun.

The owner and his wife are wonderful people. This forum has no idea how much these two people have worked starting with c-17 and then c68.

I will qualify my previous post.

I have not been into Milarm enough to understand the corporate culture of the firm.

After reflecting upon my experience, and observing other clientele that were in the firm at current time I have to support the management's procedures.

If I owned the firm, I would have behaved in an identical manner.

Thank you gentlemen.
Old 07-16-2015, 06:22 PM

Quote:
I've seen a weirdo in there one. Guy wanting a general purpose knife for shaving and logging. Used to have alot of neat stuff in there.
Old 07-17-2015, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
I have an issue with Milarm.

I do not like my firearms licence being taken into a back room to be photocopied or abused when I purchased. some 16 gauge slugs.

No more purchases from milarm.

Sort of a slumy place.

As the VP at MilArm, we have never, ever photocopied a firearms license for the purchase of ammunition
Old 07-17-2015, 12:09 PM

Quote:
That is what MilArm used to be about 20 years ago. Outside of some used firearms, all of our products we sell now are new. We have dozens of models of modern hunting & tactical firearms as well as dozens of manufacturers of accessories. We also have a full line of 5.11 Tactical clothing and we are adding a second clothing line this year, First Lite.

MilArm as also gone through an ownership change this year, as the founder has finally retired and I can promise you that this place will not be what it used. Gordon and myself (Cody) will be bringing some drastic changes including e-comm and will continue to expand our incredible line of cutting edge products.
Old 07-17-2015, 12:13 PM

I'm continually puzzled by how someone (I'm looking at you Pepe LOL) finds a 4 year old thread to comment on. I mean, how does that happen? The thread would have to be many pages down about any search you would do, unless you specifically had a burning urge to complain about Milarm and wanted to attach it to some previous thread about the store. But even then this particular thread would have been over 9 pages (or over 200 threads) down when you use "milarm" as a search term. Very strange.
Old 07-17-2015, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I'm continually puzzled by how someone (I'm looking at you Pepe LOL) finds a 4 year old thread to comment on. I mean, how does that happen? The thread would have to be many pages down about any search you would do, unless you specifically had a burning urge to complain about Milarm and wanted to attach it to some previous thread about the store. But even then this particular thread would have been over 9 pages (or over 200 threads) down when you use "milarm" as a search term. Very strange.
I believe this is the same guy who's posted on our Facebook page as well. I've contacted him a few times personally on facebook to try and find out what happened here that's caused him to post stuff like he has but he has not contacted me back. I hope this is just a miscommunication because I have a hard time believing one of my 2 staff members have treated him this poorly. But if he gets back to me and this is in fact the case, it will be dealt with quickly.

- Cody
Old 07-17-2015, 12:25 PM

I don't deal with your shop too much, but have been in a few times.
Never had an issue , and bought a few milsurp rifles over the years , ammo, etc.
Seen your booths at done gun shows as well, the people at the Booths were very courteous
Cat
Old 07-17-2015, 12:45 PM

I stop in whenever I have the chance, I like the war surplus and artifacts they have. Bought a few milsurps and some spam cans of 303 back in the day don't ever remember being mistreated.
Old 07-17-2015, 03:28 PM

the few times, I have been there. I have been happy with the quality of service, and product.

Have noticed several similer, very old threads bought back to life, I think there should be a time lock on thread (say one year) unless you contact moderators and give a valid reason, to bring an old thread back to life.
ie a long planned trip to show photos from trip.
The rehashing, of old threads, running down business, leaves a sour taste.
Old 07-17-2015, 07:29 PM

They have sales from time to time with excellent prices, especially Remington products .
Old 07-17-2015, 07:45 PM

I used to go to their website lots but it has changed in the last few years that I don't bother anymore. I did buy a great holster for my mp40 there.
Old 07-17-2015, 08:10 PM

I had poor experiences in the past and my wife was treated very poorly once when picking up supplies for me which was the last straw this was a few years ago since i vowed never to spend a dime there again and I dont care what kind or how many idiots they dealt with in a day as an excuse its a retail business cater to the damn customer and keep your emotions from the day to yourself people want to be have their business appreciated not get treated like its a favour to let you buy there.

That said its good to hear of the new ownership and management and Im willing to give another go and see what kind of improvements are going on
Old 07-17-2015, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Google search probably. I do that when the forum search function won't show what I want (probably my fault but it works). Agree there should be an auto lock on any threads inactive for a year or two.

As for milarm, I've been there occasionally to buy stuff I can't find anywhere else. Always been treated well.