Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-18-2018, 06:32 PM

I have a boxy winder. You can set the frequency of rotations as different watches are supposed to be set at different rates. Got it in Lethbridge. Watch is a Daytona and when i bought it(deposit required) there was a 3 to 5 year wait for them as they are supposed to be very hard to get. Not sure how long the wait is now. They are one of the more famous watches.

I said something about this a few years ago on AO
Some reflection of my mindset then.

I had just quit drinking and had attended a dry out facility. I went to AA and was trying to get my head around a few things and the one day at a time was tough for me to process with every minute being a battle. I didn't own a watch and thought i should get one as everything seemed to be centered around time. i went to a jewelry store in Calgary and a fellow was showing me watches that were in the price range i wanted to be in. I happened to look at a case these were in and thought this is very nice but not in my price range. He mentioned the wait time and an idea was born. I knew if i put the money down i would have time to save the rest and when it showed up it would be a great reward for my struggle. That was fifteen years ago and the watch was a bit of a life saver. When I look at the time now it always reminds me its never Miller time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4736.jpg (61.1 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4742.jpg (73.2 KB, 72 views)
Old 12-18-2018, 06:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Monkey View Post
It's all good.......but I'm just here for the watching

Great thread.......Flames in 30 min!!!!!!!

Fixed it for you
Old 12-18-2018, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoaltender View Post
Not a big watch guy but next year for my work anniversary I get a choice of 20 different rolex’s And other premium brands so maybe I’ll become a watch guy after haha!
Rolex Daytona...my favorite of theirs. Diver and Pearlmaster are nice, but the Daytona...sweet spot! I wish someone would buy me one.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 12-18-2018, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
I have a boxy winder. You can set the frequency of rotations as different watches are supposed to be set at different rates. Got it in Lethbridge. Watch is a Daytona and when i bought it(deposit required) there was a 3 to 5 year wait for them as they are supposed to be very hard to get. Not sure how long the wait is now. They are one of the more famous watches.

I said something about this a few years ago on AO
Some reflection of my mindset then.

I had just quit drinking and had attended a dry out facility. I went to AA and was trying to get my head around a few things and the one day at a time was tough for me to process with every minute being a battle. I didn't own a watch and thought i should get one as everything seemed to be centered around time. i went to a jewelry store in Calgary and a fellow was showing me watches that were in the price range i wanted to be in. I happened to look at a case these were in and thought this is very nice but not in my price range. He mentioned the wait time and an idea was born. I knew if i put the money down i would have time to save the rest and when it showed up it would be a great reward for my struggle. That was fifteen years ago and the watch was a bit of a life saver. When I look at the time now it always reminds me its never Miller time.

You posted before I did about the Daytona! Congratulations, that is an inspiring story, so glad you have got life on track. And what a fabulous watch to look at and remind you every day! Godspeed is an apt salutation for you!

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 12-18-2018, 06:52 PM

Old 12-18-2018, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Rolex...niiiiice! On my list with Breitling. Someday.

Last edited by CNP; 12-18-2018 at 07:13 PM.
Old 12-18-2018, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
Beauty!! So, you want to trade one for a minty S&W Model 57 in 41 mag...?

Old 12-18-2018, 07:32 PM

Love this SeikoIMG_2476.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-18-2018, 07:49 PM
Banned

I love watches but never wear them anymore. I have a watch drawer full of them.
Old 12-18-2018, 07:57 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Rolex Daytona...my favorite of theirs. Diver and Pearlmaster are nice, but the Daytona...sweet spot! I wish someone would buy me one.
For me the Daytona is absolutely a fave, but lately the Sky Dweller has been really catching my eye!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 326934bk.jpg (20.5 KB, 54 views)
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 12-18-2018, 08:04 PM

Very nice for sure....but the budget isn't there. Maybe has to do with my hankering for good whiskey?

Old 12-18-2018, 08:10 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Very nice for sure....but the budget isn't there. Maybe has to do with my hankering for good whiskey?
It will be a.long time before I consider a Rolex. The prices have been driven up way too high by the Asian market these days! Now a nice Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean, SMP or Aqua Terra... That will hopefully be my next buy!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 12-18-2018, 08:16 PM

I've been collecting for a few years now. I have a mixture of Omega, Rolex, Breitling, IWC, and a few smaller independent brands in my watch box.

Old 12-18-2018, 08:17 PM

I have been debating pulling the trigger on this for a couple weeks...and then they dropped the price. But still...really like it....but still....

https://www.ashford.com/us/watches/a...at680070&so=15

Old 12-18-2018, 09:04 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
I have been debating pulling the trigger on this for a couple weeks...and then they dropped the price. But still...really like it....but still....

https://www.ashford.com/us/watches/a...at680070&so=15
That is crazy! I love the art of open heart watches but I find them a bit to busy to use as a regular watch. Definitely a dress piece for me ( as dressy as I ever am that is!).
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Old 12-18-2018, 09:35 PM

I don't wear this one, but it means a lot to me. Should I ever be kitted up in a formal kilt I'll be sure to have it on me. Its my Scottish Great Grandfathers Omega with some Masonic adornments on the chain that my Dad gifted to me last year. catnthehat was kind enough to tell me that one of the items on the chain is a Past Masters Jewel which indicates that Great Grandpa would have been lodge master previously as that item is awarded after one has finished serving in such an honored position.

Old 12-18-2018, 09:39 PM
AO Sponsor

That is a pretty amazing thing to have Caber... You are a lucky man!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Old 12-18-2018, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
That is a pretty amazing thing to have Caber... You are a lucky man!
I started a "Family Heirloom" thread last year after receiving it, as some pointed out it was nice to not inherit it because that would mean my Dad would have passed away. It lives under a glass dome on that stand.

I think I might bump that thread, it still has some potential. I liked the things people were noting that brought back fond memories for them, things like slaw shredders that remind them of their Oma and their time spent together.

But I digress, back to watches!!
Old 12-18-2018, 10:28 PM

Was looking at this watch for my 50th bday.... made a deal at the store and gave them my Visa card. Visa flagged the transaction as a suspicious... by the time I called them and fixed the issue- took me a day since i was out of country - the watch got sold..... they only had one model available.
If it wasn’t meant to be- then be so.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4B53788F-9FC1-4767-867F-815364D8CB95.jpg (14.2 KB, 66 views)
Old 12-19-2018, 09:03 AM
AO Sponsor

Fellow AO'r Blaine sent me a couple pics of this vintage piece he has. Don't know much about it but it looks like a cool unit!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resized_20181218_182518_6805.jpg (13.2 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg Resized_20181218_182701_5768.jpg (11.7 KB, 43 views)
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Old 12-19-2018, 09:12 AM

Love the nautical theme on the watch face! Any Mariners here that can interpret the flags? Or do I need to Google it...

Old 12-19-2018, 09:40 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Love the nautical theme on the watch face! Any Mariners here that can interpret the flags? Or do I need to Google it...
Trying to find info on the net about this watch and I think it is a watch manufactured for Pusser's the rum company. I haven't found a pic of the exact watch yet though.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Old 12-19-2018, 10:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
Trying to find info on the net about this watch and I think it is a watch manufactured for Pusser's the rum company. I haven't found a pic of the exact watch yet though.
Thanks Bob I'm unsure where I got it from. My dad possibly could of gave it to me years ago. I couldn't find I picture either.
Old 12-20-2018, 09:06 AM

Here are mine:

Purchase by my father in the late 50's at Eaton's for $96

-Confucius
Old 12-20-2018, 01:43 PM

Not really a collector but I have worn this one every day for over 10 years. It could use some time on the buffing wheel but they really do take a licking and keep on ticking (or is that timex??). Work, snowmobiling, shooting 10s of thousands of rounds of handgun, trap, smashed on rocks, in the ocean, covered in grease and oil and all over the world. I take it off to sleep and that's it. One service about 3 years ago and no other maintenance. Runs about 1 second fast a day now.

Old 12-20-2018, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren32 View Post
Not really a collector but I have worn this one every day for over 10 years. It could use some time on the buffing wheel but they really do take a licking and keep on ticking (or is that timex??). Work, snowmobiling, shooting 10s of thousands of rounds of handgun, trap, smashed on rocks, in the ocean, covered in grease and oil and all over the world. I take it off to sleep and that's it. One service about 3 years ago and no other maintenance. Runs about 1 second fast a day now.

What more can you say? I think a lot of times people look at a good watch as some kind of fragile jewelry, but really, if they can't take a beating and daily living like you described, why would you pay that kind of money for one? The Oyster Perpetual is as classic as they get. Very nice.

Old 12-20-2018, 06:00 PM

I bought a watch as a gift to myself after finishing college, nothing super fancy but I really like it. It is a Citizen Shadowhawk CA4170-51E, now discontinued.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20181220-175923_Gallery.jpg (31.2 KB, 43 views)
Old 12-20-2018, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoteStopper View Post
I bought a watch as a gift to myself after finishing college, nothing super fancy but I really like it. It is a Citizen Shadowhawk CA4170-51E, now discontinued.
Nice! And if I'm not mistaken, that's a shapely bottle of 21 yo Jura propping it up! Well done!

Old 12-21-2018, 03:21 PM

^Good eye..it is Jura 21.

This is my favorite Breitling, a true work of art.

https://www.breitling.com/ca-en/watc...022-BD41-176V/
Old 12-21-2018, 05:31 PM

This thread is a fine complication.
I have a nice Tissot but never wear it.