Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-13-2018, 05:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3illy View Post
I saw a similar story to this where someone claimed almost an identical story where 30 moose were taken yet the numbers posted by shed crazy make this story literally impossible.

There werent 30 moose shot by all hunters let alone one large group of first nations.
I don’t think their numbers are included. I could be wrong though
Old 12-13-2018, 06:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41thunder View Post
I don’t think their numbers are included. I could be wrong though

They include them in the numbers. Im assuming the guy sharing this story is the same guy that was trying to say the same non sense elsewhere.

The data doesnt support his made up story.
Old 12-13-2018, 06:28 PM

Quote:
They include them in the numbers. Im assuming the guy sharing this story is the same guy that was trying to say the same non sense elsewhere. The data doesnt support his made up story.
Last year there was the same hype and numbers tossed around and I think the actual total told to me by the biologist when we were in for this years grouse hunt was around 8.
Old 12-13-2018, 06:40 PM

My understanding is natives do not need a PAL....interesting....but I do...interesesting.
Old 12-13-2018, 06:47 PM
Banned

So safe storage and handling need not apply?
Old 12-13-2018, 07:33 PM

I dont know why Alberta allows first nations to run around the province and have a free for all on the wildlife... Especially why does Alberta allow first nations from other provinces hunt here? Could somebody explain the reasoning behind this pls? I know in BC the first nations have to hunt on their tribe's traditional territory only, no running around the province and they deffinately dont allow first nation hunters from other provinces to hunt in BC at all. In BC the first nation hunter is supposed to get written permission from their chief for how many animals and what species of animal they can harvest. Why has Alberta allowed this to go on? Seems ridiculous to me...
Old 12-13-2018, 07:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
They include them in the numbers. Im assuming the guy sharing this story is the same guy that was trying to say the same non sense elsewhere.

The data doesnt support his made up story.
That’s why I don’t think their numbers are included. Maybe Shane could confirm?
I seen 3 trucks with 5 moose day 1 of the first rifle at Bp’s. Fellas from Saskatchewan. First hand, not a rumour. And I seen 3 in the back of one truck during the day and they were chasing another bull at noon. With my own 2 eyes, not a rumour.
Old 12-13-2018, 07:50 PM

Were they using muzzle loaders?
Old 12-13-2018, 07:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
Were they using muzzle loaders?
Not during rifle season
Old 12-13-2018, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41thunder View Post
That’s why I don’t think their numbers are included. Maybe Shane could confirm?
I seen 3 trucks with 5 moose day 1 of the first rifle at Bp’s. Fellas from Saskatchewan. First hand, not a rumour. And I seen 3 in the back of one truck during the day and they were chasing another bull at noon. With my own 2 eyes, not a rumour.
Don’t they have a sales tax in Saskatchewan?
Old 12-13-2018, 08:27 PM

Ugh...these threads always go sideways. I wish people would start a different thread if you want to go trolling about the hunt. I will clear up some comments and then tap out. Personally I don't like to draw more attention and advertise these topics on social media but whatever.

The totals include all harvests including drawn, FN, shot and left plus illegally taken game.

The individual that had a discharge at the check station was charged like anyone else in the situation.

There has been less than 20 moose and less than 10 deer taken by around 60 FN throughout the last 13 days. There was none today.

Later
S
Old 12-13-2018, 08:35 PM
Banned

thanks shed. This should put everything to rest.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shedcrazy View Post
Ugh...these threads always go sideways. I wish people would start a different thread if you want to go trolling about the hunt. I will clear up some comments and then tap out. Personally I don't like to draw more attention and advertise these topics on social media but whatever.

The totals include all harvests including drawn, FN, shot and left plus illegally taken game.

The individual that had a discharge at the check station was charged like anyone else in the situation.

There has been less than 20 moose and less than 10 deer taken by around 60 FN throughout the last 13 days. There was none today.

Later
S
Thanks for the clarification. Thanks for the great job once again
Old 12-13-2018, 09:06 PM

Thanks again Shane for all you do out at the base.
It was also excellent to finally meet you this year, the boy and I will be back......

There are no absolutes
Old 12-13-2018, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summitizer View Post
My understanding is natives do not need a PAL....interesting....but I do...interesesting.
Your understanding is wrong.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/ab-au-eng.htm

"Under Canada's Firearms Act, everyone who possesses or acquires a firearm must have a firearms licence, and all restricted and prohibited firearms must be registered"
Old 12-14-2018, 04:23 PM

Thanks again for all you guys do Shane! I have enjoyed every hunt that I have attended on the base, and will keep coming back! Sorry again for keeping you guys late on Wednesday!0
Old 12-14-2018, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z7Extreme View Post
I dont know why Alberta allows first nations to run around the province and have a free for all on the wildlife... Especially why does Alberta allow first nations from other provinces hunt here? Could somebody explain the reasoning behind this pls? I know in BC the first nations have to hunt on their tribe's traditional territory only, no running around the province and they deffinately dont allow first nation hunters from other provinces to hunt in BC at all. In BC the first nation hunter is supposed to get written permission from their chief for how many animals and what species of animal they can harvest. Why has Alberta allowed this to go on? Seems ridiculous to me...
There is an agreement between Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta called the Natural Resources Transfer Agreement that allows FN's to hunt freely in the three provinces. It also allows FN's that are registered as Indians under the Indian Act to hunt in those provinces, including BC. However, since BC didn't sign the agreement, FN's from other provinces cannot hunt in BC, although Indians from the US can!!!!

http://www.sicc.sk.ca/archive/saskindian/a90jan10.htm

Cheers

SS
Old 12-14-2018, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief16 View Post
Your understanding is wrong.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/ab-au-eng.htm

"Under Canada's Firearms Act, everyone who possesses or acquires a firearm must have a firearms licence, and all restricted and prohibited firearms must be registered"
I was there when Suffield officials demanded for the first time that First Nations to have a firearms licenses & a huge up roar happened. Complete shambles & ever official backed down due to racism.
Old 12-15-2018, 04:27 AM

So what was the running totals per species this year?
Old 12-15-2018, 08:01 AM

And how do they compare to last year? Seems like a few less moose this year....
Old 12-15-2018, 07:32 PM

Default 2018 Camp hunt done!

Final totals:

Deer 357
Moose 117
Elk 10

A new record for elk taken, biggest deer harvest since 2010 which makes sense as population is the highest since then with 4 good winters in a row. Moose is around 3rd or 4th highest total but down from the past 2 yrs.

Biggest WT deer was already posted on one thread. Biggest mules around 180ish ,elk was over 300 and 2 moose around 48-50.

Hunter size and kms driven are also increasing

All in all one of the more enjoyable years working the check station for the 13.5 days I was there (daughter's hockey tournament was a nice break!) with really only one major issue.

Until next year.

S
Old 12-15-2018, 08:08 PM

Great numbers! Hoping to pull the primitive deer tag next year! Thoroughly enjoyed it last time I was out 3 years ago chasing moose.
Old 12-15-2018, 08:09 PM

Thanks so much for assembling and posting these totals. I really appreciate your sharing them - they're very helpful in planning future draw choices. I apologize for the tendency of the thread to slide sideways, and admire your tenacity in sticking to your content despite the derails. Well done
Old 12-15-2018, 08:10 PM

Thanks to everyone for putting up with us civilians for another year.
Old 12-15-2018, 11:38 PM

Please pass my thanks on to everyone on base.
My brother and I had a great time.
Old 12-16-2018, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shedcrazy View Post
Hunter size and kms driven are also increasing

Are you calling me fat?
Old 12-16-2018, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Are you calling me fat?
Maybe red/orange adds a few pounds?!?
Old 12-16-2018, 01:40 PM

Or the boneless wings at the honeypot...
Old 12-16-2018, 06:02 PM

Default Wainwright

Yes thanks Shane for all the updates and posts. First time on base and while hunting I did get frustrated, I will be back. Love the extra hunt this year and will be looking for this thread again next year. Hope your up to it again because I for one did enjoy reading all the number updates. Thanks again!!!!
Old 12-16-2018, 07:23 PM

Well the boys and I had a great time. Saw some big deer for the first time on the base and didn’t have a deer tag. It took long enough to find a moose that it wasn’t anticlimactic but early enough I had her home, cut up and in the freezer by 17:00 Friday. We took a short walk and the big girl ran out in front of us at about 150 yards. They both screamed moose like I didn’t see it, up went the rifle and down went the moose.
Turns out you CAN fit two car seats, a calf sled and a moose in the back of a Jeep. It just about broke me in loading her in two pieces but got it done. I did have to rearrange the sled after I took this pic cause it was irritating the little fella. Until next time...