Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-15-2018, 12:00 AM

Default 2019 Chevy 1/2 ton diesel

Looks like Ford isn't the only one late to the 1/2 ton diesel game. Chevy will have a 3.0 Duramax in their 2019 Silverados. A straight six to boot! I find it interesting that Chevy is using a fair amount of aluminum in this redesign after all the crap everyone had to say about Ford going all aluminum. Aluminum doors, hoods, tail gates. Carbon composite springs and 7 grades of steel for their safety cage? Should be interesting to say the least! I wonder if Ford and Dodge will bump up their HP and Torque ratings between 2018 and 2019 to best whatever Chevy debuts?

http://www.gminsidenews.com/articles...tches-450-lbs/

The 2019 Chevrolet Silverado has made its official debut, dropping 450 lbs over the outgoing model and adding a diesel engine option.

Available engines for the all-new Silverado include heavily updated versions of the 5.3-liter and 6.2-liter Small Block, along with an all-new 3.0-liter inline-six Duramax diesel engine. General Motors didn’t share details on the diesel’s power output, but head of GM product development, Mark Reuss, assured us it would be more powerful than Ford’s new diesel in the F-150. The diesel and the 6.2 will be available with GM’s new Hydramatic 10-speed automatic transmission, while the 5.3 will come with the eight-speed.

The significant 450 lbs in weight savings come thanks to the use of aluminum in the hood, doors and rear liftgate. The vehicle’s ‘safety cage’ also uses seven different grades of steel to offer a good mix of lightness and strength. Furthermore, the front upper control arms are made of aluminum, while the rear springs are made of a new carbon-composite material, which shaves more lbs from the pickup.

The bed is another area that was significantly improved by the Silverado engineering team. By reducing the amount of wasted space between the inside and outside walls of the bed, Chevy was able to add 20 percent of cargo space to the bed for a total of 63 cubic feet of volume. There’s also 12 tie-down points with a max force rating of 500 lbs, along with bed task lighting, a rear 120-volt outlet, and larger cutouts for the CornerStep bumpers. As a result, Chevy calls the Silverado’s bed the “most functional bed of any full-size truck.”

With designers moving the front wheels forward, Chevy was able to free-up room in the cabin. The rear seats now boast an additional 3-inches of legroom, and there’s even available 10-liter storage bins integrated into the rear seats. A 24-liter storage tray beneath the second-row seats offers further storage solutions. Like other GM products, there’s also 4G LTE Wi-Fi connectivity, Apple Car Play, Android Auto, wireless phone charging and OnStar.

Chevy gas announced trim levels for the 2019 Silverado as well. The ‘Work Truck’ will serve as the base model, with the ‘Custom’ offering additional equipment ahead of the ‘Custom Trailboss’. The LT is the mid-range model, while the RST and LT Trailboss sit just above it. The range-topping trucks include the LTZ and High Country. The Trailboss models, for the record, include the Z71 package, along with a locking rear diff, front and rear skid plates, 18-inch wheels shod in Goodyear Duratec tires and a 2-inch lift.

Look for the 2019 Chevrolet Silverado to appear at GM dealers later this year. Pricing has yet to be announced.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:51 AM

Using composite springs to make the back end lighter instead of the front. Is that a big complaint, back ends of trucks not being light enough? Hopefully they centered the steering wheel.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Using composite springs to make the back end lighter instead of the front. Is that a big complaint, back ends of trucks not being light enough? Hopefully they centered the steering wheel.
By moving the front wheels forward any weight reduction to the rear end would be mitigated.

Looking at the pics in the article it reminds me of the truck Gerard Butler puke-started in the movie Gamer. Detroit taking cues from Hollywood?

Colin
Old 01-15-2018, 10:44 AM

Just what I need, another way to turn sixty eight thousand dollars into eighteen thousand in 5 years flat.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:31 PM

I see a lot of Toyota in that new design. Probably not a bad thing...
Love the factory lift options, and actual all-terrain tires.

I'll keep buying lottery tickets.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco View Post
Just what I need, another way to turn sixty eight thousand dollars into eighteen thousand in 5 years flat.
Hahahaahah!

It looks like it's trying hard to look like a Tundra.

That being said, I kind of like it.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:26 PM

Sharp looking truck.

Having said that - with redesigned engines, and the new diesel as well as all those structural changes - I won't be buying one the first model year ....... I am sure there will be significant "recalls and bugs" to fix.

I try and never buy any vehicle the first model year - I learned that lesson twice now.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:50 PM

hope the price of diesel comes down
Old 01-15-2018, 03:51 PM

I like it, kinda looks like a Ford though at first glance.
Old 01-15-2018, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco View Post
You can probably add $20,000 to that price point now.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Hopefully they centered the steering wheel.
I thought Ford was the only one stupid enough to do that! You would not believe how many people get mad at me when I point that out in the trucks!

It's ridiculous, isn't it?

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-15-2018, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I thought Ford was the only one stupid enough to do that! You would not believe how many people get mad at me when I point that out in the trucks!

It's ridiculous, isn't it?
Was watching a YouTube video from the auto show and apparently gm has fixed the off center steering wheel.