Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-13-2014, 01:40 PM
Banned

Default Dive Bomb Silo Goose Decoys

I am thinking of ordering some of these decoys. I use silos almost exclusively now, but like the look of the steel stake design on these and would like to try them. I have read lots of info on them, which is sort of mixed. Has anyone up here actually used them in the field. Looking for reviews on the new V2 design ones, not the original ones. Thanks
Old 07-13-2014, 02:28 PM

intriguing, luv the stake design, print aren't as nice as the real geese but I hate those stakes especially as the season goes on and ground gets harder, might be nice to add to my spread, maybe bigger order and save some shipping
Old 07-13-2014, 02:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Shooter View Post
intriguing, luv the stake design, print aren't as nice as the real geese but I hate those stakes especially as the season goes on and ground gets harder, might be nice to add to my spread, maybe bigger order and save some shipping
I like the design on the RGII as well, but I haven't used mine in the last two years, probably going to sell them this year. I emailed Dive Bomb and they have agreed to ship USPS, as the only option on their site is UPS and I refuse to use those crooks.
Old 07-13-2014, 04:23 PM

Quote:
x2 , the Stakes on these ones look a lot more user friendly then the sillisock ones are.. and they stack nicer too
Old 07-14-2014, 08:47 AM

be interested to know how they work for you. One question i would have is how bad the shine is on them. The Pro 2 are nice because they don't shine and to me that is very important
Old 07-14-2014, 09:21 AM

Make sure they have the no shine finish , flocked heads and that the stake won't bend when put into tough ground.
I think they are also a bit smaller than the real geese? Something to check out.
Personally I like full bodies but if you don't have the room in a trailer then you will be able to kill birds with these no problem.
I think for anyone that likes to hunt birds as much as you , you should get a few buddies together and buy a trailer and full bodies. They will last you a lifetime and the cost isn't all that much when split up.
Let us know how they look when you get them.
Old 07-18-2014, 02:52 PM

A client brought some up last year and we put them out.. They are ok They are made from a corrugated plastic material, which does not look real durable. The stakes are skinny and U-shaped they go thru the body. They were ok in early peas but not how they would work in Nov in Alberta. I was not a fan of the white as it was bright if that makes any sense as white is bright but different than the Real Geese we use. They are smaller in size compared to Real Geese but are light. which if walking in would be great. Only used 4 dozen 2 mornings killed limits over them and you will kill over them just not my favourite.. All the best with your decision.

HT
Old 07-19-2014, 02:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hair trigger View Post
A client brought some up last year and we put them out.. They are ok They are made from a corrugated plastic material, which does not look real durable. The stakes are skinny and U-shaped they go thru the body. They were ok in early peas but not how they would work in Nov in Alberta. I was not a fan of the white as it was bright if that makes any sense as white is bright but different than the Real Geese we use. They are smaller in size compared to Real Geese but are light. which if walking in would be great. Only used 4 dozen 2 mornings killed limits over them and you will kill over them just not my favourite.. All the best with your decision.

HT
I have been using silos the last few years, with pretty good success. Mostly use Big Al's now but still have 4-5 dozen Big Flocks (whites), and a dozen RGII's. Sold all of the full bodies, kept one dozen shells (movers) but don't really use them any more either.

I liked the look of the stakes on the Dive Bombs so decided to give them a try. Pretty confident they will work well, as the other silos I have, have worked well over the years. Hunt the early season a fair bit, usually lots of swaths still out, so I do have to carry my stuff in for at least a few hunts every September.

I can carry my shotgun, blind bag, blind and 3-4 dozen decoys in without two much effort, but have to make two trips out to bring out the birds and gear. Thatching the blind only takes about 2 minutes though, and the birds all come in straight, feet down.
This shoot was over in about 15 minutes

Have not had to hunt in frozen ground yet, but silos would be a bit of pain in frozen ground. Cousin still has a few dozen full bodies if the ground does freeze, but we haven't really had to use them, the last few years. So far late season we have had snow, so setup for the silos was still pretty quick

Took a few of the cousins full bodies and my shells on this one, just in case

Picked up a sled and new bigger trailer last year, so got lots of rooms for everything now. Still got a bit of rigging to do on the trailer, lights, rack for rake and crow bar (still use the willow blind when some of my sons and nephews are down).
Old 07-29-2014, 10:38 PM
Banned

Dive Bomb Decoys came in. I like the stake design probably the best of all, at least into soft ground, and they look pretty good. Pretty well the same material as the Big Al's. Heads look pretty sharp, but they are not flocked. The real test will come in a month or so.
Left to Right
Dive Bomb, Big Al's, Real Geese Pro II
Old 07-30-2014, 02:18 AM
Banned

Default decoys

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
I have been using silos the last few years, with pretty good success. Mostly use Big Al's now but still have 4-5 dozen Big Flocks (whites), and a dozen RGII's. Sold all of the full bodies, kept one dozen shells (movers) but don't really use them any more either.

I liked the look of the stakes on the Dive Bombs so decided to give them a try. Pretty confident they will work well, as the other silos I have, have worked well over the years. Hunt the early season a fair bit, usually lots of swaths still out, so I do have to carry my stuff in for at least a few hunts every September.

I can carry my shotgun, blind bag, blind and 3-4 dozen decoys in without two much effort, but have to make two trips out to bring out the birds and gear. Thatching the blind only takes about 2 minutes though, and the birds all come in straight, feet down.
This shoot was over in about 15 minutes

Have not had to hunt in frozen ground yet, but silos would be a bit of pain in frozen ground. Cousin still has a few dozen full bodies if the ground does freeze, but we haven't really had to use them, the last few years. So far late season we have had snow, so setup for the silos was still pretty quick

Took a few of the cousins full bodies and my shells on this one, just in case

Picked up a sled and new bigger trailer last year, so got lots of rooms for everything now. Still got a bit of rigging to do on the trailer, lights, rack for rake and crow bar (still use the willow blind when some of my sons and nephews are down).
That looks like an odd set up in the swaths, but whatever works for a guy, a limit is a limit. As for the frozen ground, I take a cordless drill and have one guy follow the guy with the drill and insert the RG2's with the woodend stakes, works well. But I don't hunt alone, so may be a bit more work if you do. 4-6 dozen RG's will hide 4 guys and a dog well enough on 95% of the shoots I do, and I'd say we limit 95% of the time. RG2's and 2 mojo's has relagated the trailer of full bodies to very limited duty the last 2-3 years.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBE2 View Post
That looks like an odd set up in the swaths, but whatever works for a guy, a limit is a limit. As for the frozen ground, I take a cordless drill and have one guy follow the guy with the drill and insert the RG2's with the woodend stakes, works well. But I don't hunt alone, so may be a bit more work if you do. 4-6 dozen RG's will hide 4 guys and a dog well enough on 95% of the shoots I do, and I'd say we limit 95% of the time. RG2's and 2 mojo's has relagated the trailer of full bodies to very limited duty the last 2-3 years.
Have you never hunted in swaths before? Probably the easiest, fastest and best concealment there is.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:39 PM

I ordered a dozen to try them out they should be here on Friday. We'll see how they work hopefully in a month or so
Old 07-31-2014, 12:23 AM
Banned

Default swaths

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
Have you never hunted in swaths before? Probably the easiest, fastest and best concealment there is.
Yes, several times. I prefer to hunts swaths for sure and agree with you. It was more a comment regarding the distance of your blind to the set up, looked odd to me, but I don't hunt alone. No harm meant.
Old 01-25-2018, 12:12 PM

Has anyone used the dive bomb Canada flocked head silhouettes? Looks like a few have used the socks, but I only found a review on the non-flocked heads so far, https://thewaterfowlhunter.com/dive-bomb-decoys-review/. Hoping someone has used the flocked ones to know if they are better on reducing the sun glare. Thanks.
Old 01-25-2018, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Stop ...count to ten backwards and put the phone back down.. pick it back up and order bigger trailer.loll

LIFE IS TO SHORT TO HAVE AN UGLY LOOKIN DOG .....GET A LAB
Old 01-25-2018, 08:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Been a few years now since the original post but still using the Dive Bomb and Big Al decoys. Did have a bit of trouble with the silo stakes in really dry fields and partially frozen so I mounted all the silos on Y boards before last season. With 3-5 decoys on each Y board it is a very very fast setup and take down now and ground conditions not a factor any more. Put about 5 dozen on 17 boards and kept a couple dozen still loose.