Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-31-2011, 11:18 PM

Default To Sako owners - trouble

I picked up a brand new Sako in 300 wsm on Saturday. I always wanted one, finally I got it and what a big disappointment!
I went to the range on Sunday morning to break in the barrel and sight in the scope, but I couldn't get a group better than 3", mostly 4-5". I haven't fire a rifle in 3 years, but I can't be that bad....
I thought my scope is loose - it was installed in the store - , but the screws were tight.
As I was holding the rifle I was wiggled the barrel, and there it was, clunk - clunk, so I thought, OK, the receiver screws must be loose. Checked them, both were tight! WT???
The barrel was loose, it was about 2-3 thread out of the receiver!!
I could easily turn it out of the receiver.
I called the shop today and told them what's going on. They contacted Stroeger and here is what they said: " just use some red lock tight and hand-tight the barrel back to the action." (note, there was no lock tight on the thread at all, it was actually greasy)
I have to say that I have no confidence of doing this.
I had barrel changed on one of my Rem. 700 and my gunsmith had a hard time to remove it with the special tools he had.
In my opinion a rifle's barrel should not be removed by hands.

I called a gunsmith in the next town and told him what happened and what advice I got from Sako's customer service. He was extremely helpful. His suggestion was to return the entire rifle and ask for a replacement.
He also said to safely secure or remove a rifle barrel would take a special tool and most manufacturer won't even use thread lock, the barrels secured by high torque, and that's it.
Anyway, he will also contact Sako and see what he can do.
I guess if it comes to an exchange it won't be done in few days, the store had only one in stock, and actually it was hard to find this caliber with the laminated stock.

What would you do?

Attempt to repair it and see what will happen?
Return it to Sako and demand a quick replacement due to the middle of the hunting season?
Return it to the store, get my money back and buy something else?
Anyone had the same or similar problem before?
How Stoeger / Sako handled the problem?

Thanks!

Hunter

Last edited by lilsundance; 11-02-2011 at 11:21 PM.

Tags
sako