Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-06-2008, 08:21 PM

Default sheep horn regulations

just wondering the opinion of sheep hunters. Would you like to see the horn regulations for Bighorn sheep changed to full curl on both sides of highway#3 in southern Alberta.My opinion is that it should be changed to full curl,to allow the rams to get a little bigger,and a little smarter.I am afraid if we dont start protecting them better we will be faced with a similar situation that we have with our grizzlies and not be able to hunt them at all.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:11 PM
Banned

I don't think it would be a good idea. Sheep seem to be doing fine.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurly View Post
just wondering the opinion of sheep hunters. Would you like to see the horn regulations for Bighorn sheep changed to full curl on both sides of highway#3 in southern Alberta.My opinion is that it should be changed to full curl,to allow the rams to get a little bigger,and a little smarter.I am afraid if we dont start protecting them better we will be faced with a similar situation that we have with our grizzlies and not be able to hunt them at all.
I'd like to see 402 and 404 go full curl but 406 408 should stay as is too many cranker rams that don't go full curl but are still huge. Biggest problem in the southern WMU's are unregulated after season hunting due to easy access to wintering range by lease roads, thats the number one limiting factor on sheep herds in the southern wmu's
Old 04-06-2008, 09:19 PM

There are better way to increase the herd but right now from what I know most areas have great numbers of animals.
I would like a different system in place where if you kill one less than full curl you will have to wait 3-4 years to hunt again. There are a lot of sheep that would make a great trophy that are broomed off and I would be willing to wait even 5 years after I killed one to be able to hunt again.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pika View Post
Biggest problem in the southern WMU's are unregulated after season hunting due to easy access to wintering range by lease roads,
Unregulated hunting is also known as poaching.....definatly a problem, but I wouldnt consider it 'hunting' at all...
Old 04-06-2008, 09:24 PM

Default sheep

In zones 400 and 402 as well as 306 sheep numbers are down, the population cannot sustain the amount of pressure it is receiving.Sheep numbers are declining under the current system.The same thing is happening to our elk situation it might be time to think about going six point or better.They do this with sheep and elk in BC , and their numbers have never been higher.Not preaching just looking for opinions , this is mine,everyone is entitled to their own just curious to here from others.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:54 PM
Gone Hunting

"Unregulated hunting is also known as poaching"

Rack

Maybe he was refering to first nations unregulated hunting, or do you consider that poaching too? Or were you just stirring the pot?
Old 04-06-2008, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy4 View Post
"Unregulated hunting is also known as poaching"

Rack

Maybe he was refering to first nations unregulated hunting, or do you consider that poaching too? Or were you just stirring the pot?
Ya if he was referring to first-nations harvesting then thats a very valid point....unfortunately changing any of our hunting regulations wont solve that. And no, I do not consider that poaching....not sure how that comment could be seen as stirring the pot, but good attempt none the less...
Old 04-06-2008, 09:57 PM
Banned

My personal opinion is that 6 point rules do not work in fact the 3 point rule is stupid as well. Put it on draw, let the hunters shoot what they wish but don't manage it for trophys. Not sure about the sheep situation.

Jamie
Old 04-07-2008, 08:44 AM
Gone Hunting

A key factor in proper Sheep management (in any wildlife or fish management) is getting good inventory data (counting critters and getting good counts on rams and lambs)

Now Fish and Wildlife is responsible for sheep management. But the Alberta Conservation Association (ACA) is "in charge" of the money (from our hunting licences) to do wildlife surveys. If the ACA decides to fork over the money to do proper sheep surveys then the management of sheep goes better. If the ACA will not provide $ for enough helecopter time then sheep management is less effective.
The ACA has decided that they should be more involved in surveys and so last year they spent a good deal of money attempting to train there own staff to do survey work.

Robin in Rocky
Old 04-07-2008, 10:29 AM

3/4 curl in alberta is just fine (for now) but I would like to see them add in the age of 8 years or older as legal
Old 04-07-2008, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke-eater View Post
3/4 curl in alberta is just fine (for now) but I would like to see them add in the age of 8 years or older as legal
It's 4/5 curl and have you ever tried to count growth rings on a live sheep?? Not an easy thing to do.....holding them in your hands a different story. JMOA. Just getting them to profile sometimes is a pain in the ***** never mind counting growth rings at a couple hunderd yards. I know I'd have a hell of a time anyhow.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:23 AM

Hope they don't change it anytime soon. Sheep hunting is a dream of mine and planning on starting it up probably next year, as this year is more exploration and other animals as first year hunting in Alberta.
Old 04-07-2008, 01:15 PM

Quote:
In zones 400 and 402 as well as 306 sheep numbers are down, the population cannot sustain the amount of pressure it is receiving.
I'm curious to know what this is based on?
Old 04-07-2008, 01:29 PM

In zone 400 its poachers not hunters that the population cannot sustain.
Old 04-07-2008, 01:29 PM

Chuck
I was wondering the same thing.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:43 PM

Default you sure about that

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurly View Post
In zones 400 and 402 as well as 306 sheep numbers are down, the population cannot sustain the amount of pressure it is receiving.Sheep numbers are declining under the current system.The same thing is happening to our elk situation it might be time to think about going six point or better.They do this with sheep and elk in BC , and their numbers have never been higher.Not preaching just looking for opinions , this is mine,everyone is entitled to their own just curious to here from others.
During the winter of 2006-2007 the combined after season harvest and illegal harvest of the WMUS you are talking about was triple the legal harvest by licensed hunters. The current system has little effect on sheep in 400-402, easy access by unregulated hunting/poaching does. You say numbers are down but you can't hunt ewes in WMU 400 the legal harvest of rams has no effect on ewe numbers. It would be foolish to impose further restrictions other than making 402 full curl and closing some road access, general tags don't kill every legal ram in these WMU's but slaughter on Winter Range sure does some years.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:18 PM
jrs

Shut the access down, no point in switching anything else if the main problems are not addressed. I'd like to see a longer wait after harvesting a ram and no more quad access to sheep slopes during the hunting season or during the winter. The genetics exist but its pretty tough for a ram to grow up with the extra access. I know there's a few good ones in 400 still but i have seen more nice rams come out of the kananaskis, including one taken last year that will go book.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:20 AM

but if you guys shut the access down then people will complain that outfitters have done it!
Old 04-08-2008, 02:48 PM

I'm guessing you guys are talking mostly around the hump and plateau???How can you shut the access down????? It's all still open for hunting except for sheep til the end of Nov. So you can't shut down the access til after hunting season is over. The sheep will be moving into the area already in Nov. I know years ago the numbers were down in the area and from what I've heard there were a whole bunch of ewes transplanted to the area. I've seen lots of collared ewes down there in the past. If you could just keep them away from the road.....hmmmm......some of problem solved.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke-eater View Post
Amen and Amen again
Old 04-09-2008, 12:08 AM
Banned

Last edited by Mintaka; 12-29-2008 at 06:11 AM.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:51 PM

Mintaka
What is the y to y corridor your'e refering to????????? please give more info, as i have'nt heard of this, as of yet.

thanks Mike
Old 04-09-2008, 04:01 PM

www.Y2Y.net Its a tree hugger movement.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainmike View Post
It's 4/5 curl and have you ever tried to count growth rings on a live sheep?? Not an easy thing to do.....holding them in your hands a different story. JMOA. Just getting them to profile sometimes is a pain in the ***** never mind counting growth rings at a couple hunderd yards. I know I'd have a hell of a time anyhow.
The one thing an age definition has going for it , is that it would allow you to shoot those obviously older rams, who have broken their horns back beyond the curl restrictions.
Grizz
Old 04-10-2008, 09:18 PM
Banned

Last edited by Mintaka; 12-29-2008 at 06:11 AM.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:00 PM

I like the idea of full curl or 8yrs old.. Like Grizzly Adams said, It would make old rams legle that are not long enough. I think it would prevent a few younger rams from being taken.