Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-10-2020, 07:41 AM

Default All Season's for Jeep Cherokee?

Good morning folks,

I am in the market for some new all season tires for the wife. They are for a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. I am aware that different tires can have varying performance based on type/make of vehicle. Looking for something that will have decent performance in winter/snow/ice. I am currently rocking some BFG KO2's on my Silverado 1500, of which I am extremely happy with in mud/snow/ice, and everything in-between. So I am sort of leaning towards sticking with BFG, but that's just a shot in the dark as far as all seasons for a Jeep go.

Looking for any suggestions, opinions, or a point in the right direction.

Appreciate it again guys,
Old 08-10-2020, 07:52 AM

I put Toyo Celsius on the wife's Edge last winter, there a great all season.
Old 08-10-2020, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtz View Post
I put Toyo Celsius on the wife's Edge last winter, there a great all season.
Yeah? I've heard a lot of good on those also. Appreciate it.
Old 08-10-2020, 09:22 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brbpuppy View Post
Good morning folks,

I am in the market for some new all season tires for the wife. They are for a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. I am aware that different tires can have varying performance based on type/make of vehicle. Looking for something that will have decent performance in winter/snow/ice. I am currently rocking some BFG KO2's on my Silverado 1500, of which I am extremely happy with in mud/snow/ice, and everything in-between. So I am sort of leaning towards sticking with BFG, but that's just a shot in the dark as far as all seasons for a Jeep go.

Looking for any suggestions, opinions, or a point in the right direction.

Appreciate it again guys,
A lot is going to depend what specific size option you have on your Cherokee as there were different options. Not every model of tire will be made in every size.

With all weather tires, there are a lot of variances in their characteristics, but generally speaking there will be two distinct types. There is the type like KO2's and Duratracs etc that are more all terrain tires, where they have more aggressive lug style tread patterns to essentially "dig" better, or there are the type designed more for cars and SUV/Pick ups that do not see off-road as much and have tighter tread patterns with higher sipe density.

The benefits and drawbacks of each will maybe make one a more attractive choice to your own specific needs over the other.

The AT (all terrain) style with more aggressive lug type tread patterns are more for the person that uses their vehicle in areas where deeper lugs help with moving loose mud and snow away from the tread surface by giving the tire a little more "shovelling" power. The trade of to this type of tire is the ride quality is not generally as nice as the tighter pattern style with higher sipe density, and the rubber compounding is usually made to be a bit tougher to handle more rocky off-road use which translates into a little less pure ice traction, especially when the temps really start dropping.

Along with usually a bit more specialty com pounding, the more car/SUV type with the tighter tread pattern and higher sipe density are generally better on compact snow and icy surfaces as all those little sipes open up a bit when the weight of the vehicle is on them, giving the tread a lot more biting edges than a lug style pattern, and they also act like squeegees on ice so if the tire is slipping or spinning, it is sweeping the water off the surface of the ice which improves traction there (it is the layer of water that forms under compression that actually makes ice slippery rather than the frozen surface itself). Because of the tighter tread pattern and compounding as well, on dry road surfaces the tire generally is smoother and quieter.

Even within these two categories there are leanings one direction or the other, and both types have their place and it just comes down to what is most important for you.

By all means message me if you want a few options and comparisons.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 08-10-2020, 09:28 AM

If you are anywhere near Calgary talk to Tirebob, AO member. He has great recommendations and excellent pricing. So much of picking the right tire is knowing exactly what you use the vehicle for. My wifes Jeep never leaves pavement, my hunting/fishing rig only ever sees pavement on the way out and back from hunting. Two entirely different tires are needed for year round use because I have never believed in switching tires for the seasons.

Tirebob's contact info

Bob Blakeborough
Urban Expressions Wheel & Tire Inc
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bob@urbanexp.ca
www.urbanexp.ca

P.S. Well guess who was posting at the same time I was.
Old 08-10-2020, 09:52 AM

The Wife's jeep never leaves pavement also, so according to Tirebob, I should be looking for the tighter tread pattern and higher sipe density. With a baby expected this winter, I want to be sure she has great tires on her Jeep. I will message you Tirebob, appreciate the detailed response.
Old 08-10-2020, 10:05 AM

Tire Bob gives excellent course on tire selection. I always ran mild winter lug tires on wifes Cherokee for 400km. Never needed to change tires in summer and most lasted for ~100Kkm. Best of both worlds, we live in country and she had some tough road slugging in both winter/summer.