Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-02-2020, 10:39 PM

Default I was reported as a poacher

Went back from shore fishing whites from McGregor today. I got a call from a fish and wildlife officer. He said he wants to meet me and ask questions. Meeting him about 10 minutes after the call. He said someone reported me keeping 4 pikes. The people said they saw that I brought the fish back to my car and dropped the fish(pikes) on the ground. They also reported I was using multiple rods. How could you shore fishing white by using more than 2 rods? Nonsense!! I did not even caught a pike today!! I kept one fish today for supper, and gave the rest to my friends. I provided my friend's name and contacts to the officer for verification.
I showed the picture of the fish I caught to the officer, also showed all the set up, my gears too.
I understood that the officer was doing his job, and I cooperating with his investigation. But I can not understand how could the people made up such funny story? Are they sick? They ruined my day!!
Old 06-02-2020, 10:48 PM

Default I was reported as a poacher

Ok.... so you caught fish of some kind using 2 rods, I’m sure you can only use 1 rod on open water.....you gave fish to your friend, I’m pretty sure you can NOT give away or sell fish.... your name is fishing for joy, do you realize you can’t fish for anyone either? Now joy is going to be in trouble too because you told the officer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Bush; 06-02-2020 at 10:53 PM.
Old 06-02-2020, 10:55 PM

[QUOTE=Bush;4180568]Ok.... so you caught fish of some kind using 2 rods, I’m sure you can only use 1 rod on open water.....you gave fish to your friend, I’m pretty sure you can NOT give away or sell fish.... your name is fishing for joy, do you realize you can’t fish for anyone either?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

I used one rod all the time!!! I gave the fish to my friends after went back home.
Old 06-02-2020, 11:18 PM

It is possible that they saw you catch and keep the 4 fish(whitefish) and just assumed they were pike.

And yes you can give away fish as long as you are not over the limit. They do count toward your limit though.

As for the rod issue, that may be an enhancement on their part or not I dont know.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 06-02-2020, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bush View Post
Ok.... so you caught fish of some kind using 2 rods, I’m sure you can only use 1 rod on open water.....you gave fish to your friend, I’m pretty sure you can NOT give away or sell fish.... your name is fishing for joy, do you realize you can’t fish for anyone either? Now joy is going to be in trouble too because you told the officer

Yes, you can give fish away, but not sell them.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 06-03-2020, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
It is possible that they saw you catch and keep the 4 fish(whitefish) and just assumed they were pike.

And yes you can give away fish as long as you are not over the limit. They do count toward your limit though.

As for the rod issue, that may be an enhancement on their part or not I dont know.
First I did not keep any other fish except whitefish under the limit
Second I only used one rod,
Third, I did not drop fish on the ground

The reporter just made the story up
Old 06-03-2020, 06:11 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

You do know that as soon as you post you will have the third degree.....best just in some cases not to....just look at the whole experience as lesson send learned....and it was good that the fish cops followed up on a complaint....that's a good thing.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-03-2020, 07:11 AM

you proved you were in the right, let it slide. maybe they were seeing someone else who knows. better to be reported and innocent at least someone is watching our fish. I was reported a few years ago too when I was tagging sturgeon with a research license that let me start fishing the river at the beginning of April instead of May 8. I was actually happy someone called me in, it meant someone was concerned. Plus I got to meet them eventually they are local ranchers and we got to know each other, got me more permissions on more river

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 06-03-2020, 07:43 AM

So how did this ruin your day?

Could happen to anyone really.
Old 06-03-2020, 08:03 AM

People that reported you probably had a cooler full of walleye and they got a clean break because the only fish and wildlife officer in the county was dealing with you.
Old 06-03-2020, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
So how did this ruin your day?

Could happen to anyone really.
Everyone could report someone if you suspected. I am not afraid of checking by fishing cop. If you reported someone, you should tell the truth not making something up. If they suspected that I kept the whitefish as pike, that is understandable, but they said I droped the fish on the ground which never happened, also they said I used multiple rods which also not true
Old 06-03-2020, 08:21 AM

Sorry to hear this happened. Stressful experience to say the least when someone wrongly accuses you.

Old 06-03-2020, 08:21 AM

Sounds like maybe you were fishing in their spot. I wouldn’t put it past some people to call you in just to put a foul taste in your mouth and maybe get you to not come back. People can be very protective over areas, whether fishing or hunting, that they want for themselves.
Old 06-03-2020, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
Sounds like maybe you were fishing in their spot. I wouldn’t put it past some people to call you in just to put a foul taste in your mouth and maybe get you to not come back. People can be very protective over areas, whether fishing or hunting, that they want for themselves.
That’s my guess too.

If you were within the regulations try not to let it bother you and carry on. I’m glad to see F&W responding to a tip even if it is fraudulent.
Old 06-03-2020, 09:18 AM

Just curious....How did the officer get your number to call you??
Old 06-03-2020, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorne View Post
Just curious....How did the officer get your number to call you??
I believed that my license plate number was reported, then the office found out. Only 2 vehicles in the parking lot yesterday
Old 06-03-2020, 09:41 AM

There are people out there who will call F&G and RCMP to harass legal hunters/anglers to get them to move. Picture of your vehicle license plate gets F&G, RCs your name, phone#. It takes awhile before they have enough false calls to prove harassment and a couple other criminal charges but they will, so stay legal, keep fishing and enjoy the conversation with the officer. you will get the last laugh.
Old 06-03-2020, 09:44 AM

Sorry to hear this. Don't let it bother you too much. Good job catching whites from shore too! Congrats and keep going!
Old 06-03-2020, 09:57 AM

Atleast you know the snitch line works haha

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 06-03-2020, 10:02 AM

Someone who knows next to nothing about fishing and looking for a reward from RAP. Probably someone who frequents AO
Old 06-03-2020, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
Someone who knows next to nothing about fishing and looking for a reward from RAP. Probably someone who frequents AO
wasnt me, honest!!! when I got called in I even thanked the ranchers who called on me, they had no way of knowing I was fishing under a research license so Im glad they did!

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 06-03-2020, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishingforjoy View Post
Everyone could report someone if you suspected. I am not afraid of checking by fishing cop. If you reported someone, you should tell the truth not making something up. If they suspected that I kept the whitefish as pike, that is understandable, but they said I droped the fish on the ground which never happened, also they said I used multiple rods which also not true
So let them report it. It is not like it happens every day right? You can't control what other people do in something like this. Especially when you had no idea. Could happen again, probably not...hopefully not. Some people are just _icks.
Old 06-03-2020, 08:02 PM

don't worry, there will be a karmic balancing
Old 06-04-2020, 12:48 PM

Like other people said, they assumed that you were catching pike because pretty rare to see people getting open water whitefish, especially from shore.

The rod part sucks a bit for sure. But kind of good the people called it in even though it was an inconvenience. If i was a ways away i would not assume someone was getting whites that often. But i would confirm first. But to each their own. Try not to let it wreck having been successful for whites! Congrats on that!
Old 06-04-2020, 08:09 PM

Thanks everyone. Just let it be. Hope you enjoy the summer also enjoy the fishing!!
Old 06-05-2020, 07:47 AM

Definitely an inconvenience but glad to hear it all worked out for you! It’s also great to see that people are keeping an eye out for people not following regulations. Honest fisherman should welcome visits from F&W and be happy they are out following up. All of us enjoy fishing and the outdoors and it’s F&W job to ensure there is a good fish population for our younger generations.
Old 06-05-2020, 08:51 AM

In BC they have closures to fishing for salmon on some rivers but still allow the FN's to put out nets.

Can someone please explain how this helps one iota for conservation of fish stocks?

Just curious.