Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-26-2017, 01:10 PM
Banned

Default Give me a pack of steaks

Or a roast... How many times a year do you hear that when people find out you have a moose, elk, or deer?

I give away lots of wild game meat every year, some people need it, some people don't, but nobody thinks twice about asking for it.

One guy asked for a quarter of moose and said he'd give ma a quarter of elk when he shot one. I gave him a quarter, he shot an elk..... musta forgot about the deal he made.

This year he found out I got my moose draw, so he graciously offered to help me with my moose. When I brought up the fact I was still waiting for my elk meat, I got the deer in the headlights stare. Then he says he didn't know I wanted any elk meat, even forgot about the quarter of moose I hung in his shed until his wife said "yesssss, remember he gave us a quarter of moose".

I don't have a problem with giving away meat, it's just funny how people will ask for a pack of wild game, but wouldn't dare ask if you would mind running to Safeway and grabbing them a roast. I'd rather do that, beef roast is so much easier to come by!!!
Old 10-26-2017, 01:12 PM

Yep I know that one. Its like they think its easy to come by. Lol
Old 10-26-2017, 01:13 PM

My aunt made the mistake of telling Dad the meat we hunted was "free". As in, "why can't I have some? you get it for free".

Dad had her come over for cutting day to have her earn some "free" meat.

She kind of sort of got it a little bit after that. You don't cut the belly open and have little brown packages fall out.

LC
Old 10-26-2017, 01:37 PM
Gone Hunting

"I don't have a problem with giving away meat, it's just funny how people will ask for a pack of wild game, but wouldn't dare ask if you would mind running to Safeway and grabbing them a roast."

This is a pet peeve of mine. Like you I have given away tons of game, but it's the entitlement to 'Free" meat that chafes me.

I've had generous souls say they don't want something for nothing, they would be happy to reimburse me for the cost of the tag.

I used to have some special game packages for those mooches. Shanks, neck roast, ground blood shot and bruised trim for stew. Coyote back straps and hips make great jerky.

Oddly the requests seem to have stopped.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 10-26-2017, 01:42 PM

Smile

^ HAHA! all to funny!
Old 10-26-2017, 01:43 PM

I don't bother keeping score but in the end I hope I have given much more than I have taken.

If anyone needs some meat, I always have lots.
Old 10-26-2017, 01:52 PM

Deer meat sure. But moose or elk? Not so much. I tell people they can have a bunch of roasts off my next moose harvest. I'm a priority 0 but I should have my draw in about 8 years in a mountain zone.
Old 10-26-2017, 01:55 PM

Yup, and funny they think the whole deer is made up of steaks.
Old 10-26-2017, 01:57 PM

Default Safeway meat

Not sure about you guys, but Safeway meat is a lot cheaper in the end ! But we don't love being in the bush to save money.
Old 10-26-2017, 02:11 PM

Hey Kurt, but seriously, if you get lucky, give me a pack of steaks.
Old 10-26-2017, 02:13 PM

I just think people don't understand the value of it. There's so much that goes into harvesting and processing it. I usually have people over for big butchering parties and they all leave with a generous amount. The ones that do ask for meet the odd time might get a taste but will typically end up being invited to butcher to earn their own
Old 10-26-2017, 02:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Hey Kurt, but seriously, if you get lucky, give me a pack of steaks.
If I had to give you a pack of steaks every time I got lucky I'd have to be a cattle rancher

Last edited by Kurt505; 10-26-2017 at 02:28 PM.
Old 10-26-2017, 02:26 PM

Yeah that's definitely something that irks me a bit. I regularly share jerky and cook for people, but "oh I want some steaks" really?

Well you can go through hunter training, buy a bow, arrows, broadheads, rangefinder, binoculars, treestands, a truck, and then spend all summer practicing, drive around and ask about 200 farmers for permission just to get one spot, then spend all your free time for a couple months sitting in a tree waiting for a deer to walk past. If you get one, you can drag it out of the bush and spend 12 hours cutting it up. There's your steaks.

Usually they start to clue in. Free meat...

That being said, I get where it comes from. The farm boys who are born into land, who shoot a deer in 30 min in the same field their dad and grand dad and great granddad did. There's still a lot of that, so not everyone understands how much hunters put into it.
Old 10-26-2017, 02:55 PM

A few friends of mine got so riled by this exact issue that they would save the trim from bullet/shock damaged game and portion them and label as "Friend Meat" to give to folks entitled enough to demand free meat

Seldom got a second request

We would always chuckle when some yahoo would come into the shop and ask us to give him a package of some other hunter's hard earned game.

We would smile as my buddy said "Sure-No problem" and ask me if we had any friend meat left in the freezer.

Last edited by omega50; 10-26-2017 at 03:02 PM.
Old 10-26-2017, 03:03 PM
Banned

You guys giving way trimmings and bloodshot are mean! Whola. But I can understand.

I wish I could trade a pack of meat for the butching, heck I'd even let them use my knives, grinder, stuffer, and vacuum sealer! Always have a volunteer to help eat it, but it's very rare they offer to help butcher.

That might be a great idea. Next request I get for a pack of steaks, I'll tell them if they show up on butcher day (in the morning) they can have at it.
Old 10-26-2017, 03:05 PM

"When you catch a deer can i have some jerky?"

Old 10-26-2017, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleye guy View Post
Not sure about you guys, but Safeway meat is a lot cheaper in the end ! But we don't love being in the bush to save money.
Agreed. But some years are cheaper than others. All depends on how the hunts play out...
Old 10-26-2017, 03:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
"When you catch a deer can i have some jerky?"

Dam thing keeps breaking my line!
Old 10-26-2017, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Yeah that's definitely something that irks me a bit. I regularly share jerky and cook for people, but "oh I want some steaks" really?

Well you can go through hunter training, buy a bow, arrows, broadheads, rangefinder, binoculars, treestands, a truck, and then spend all summer practicing, drive around and ask about 200 farmers for permission just to get one spot, then spend all your free time for a couple months sitting in a tree waiting for a deer to walk past. If you get one, you can drag it out of the bush and spend 12 hours cutting it up. There's your steaks.

That being said, I get where it comes from. The farm boys who are born into land, who shoot a deer in 30 min in the same field their dad and grand dad and great granddad did. There's still a lot of that, so not everyone understands how much hunters put into it.
12 hours to cut up a deer??
Old 10-26-2017, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post

That's pretty much what I say.

But I start with a no, followed by a long paused.
Old 10-26-2017, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Dam thing keeps breaking my line!
I find I get less chew offs since I switched to fluorocarbon!
Old 10-26-2017, 03:38 PM

I've never been asked to just give some up. I do owe a fellow a couple steaks for all the help getting my new quad set up for this season, but that is about it.

I guess I feel the same as a lot of you, maybe being a bit selfish about the effort and memory about harvesting an animal and how naive some people are about the effort and costs involved with the whole process. That being said, we are having a large group over this weekend to enjoy a nice moose stew. There will be several non-hunters in the group, non will outright ask for freebies, but if someone really enjoys the meal and asks, I will gladly share and send them home with some. I think I have more than enough to spare.
Old 10-26-2017, 03:39 PM

People are always asking because game meat tastes way better than anything from the store. It's also novel and rare since I assume these askers don't hunt themselves. You'd rather go and get them a roast at Safeway? If they could get it at Safeway they probably wouldn't ask.

I share plenty of game meat because I like to and I think more people should know how tasty it is. There is always a spectrum of appreciation levels for my efforts, and with a few acquaintances who just don't get it I have stopped offering. Wrapping up garbage meat to give away I hope is a joke, but it's hard to tell on this site.
Old 10-26-2017, 04:27 PM

I've had the opposite happen. Spent 3 nights helping buddy in a bind butcher a moose when my wife and kids were missing me from working and hunting so much. Used all my butchering equipment too. "You'll be eating well this winter" turned to silence once cut and wrapped. Not going to ask for any but "fool me once...." is starting to apply. I dont mind sharing my game to those in need at all. I have a widowed friend who cant afford meat and i give her meat several times a year and she always tries to buy my tags for me but i wont have it. The odd pack of jerky goes on the coffee table at the shop tho, but i love the ooohs and awes so its more for me than them haha lol.

SQK
Old 10-26-2017, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peebles View Post
People are always asking because game meat tastes way better than anything from the store. It's also novel and rare since I assume these askers don't hunt themselves. You'd rather go and get them a roast at Safeway? If they could get it at Safeway they probably wouldn't ask.

I share plenty of game meat because I like to and I think more people should know how tasty it is. There is always a spectrum of appreciation levels for my efforts, and with a few acquaintances who just don't get it I have stopped offering. Wrapping up garbage meat to give away I hope is a joke, but it's hard to tell on this site.
To each their own. Game meat is sacred and i will share with other hunters for sure. As for the people that dont hunt, oh well. There is a reason they dont hunt. Whether its their beliefs about killing animals, fear of guns or just laziness. My other half connected on a doe last week while we were out for elk. It was a 26km hump round trip by the time we got back to the truck and packed it out. I dont just "give away " our game meat. Im also a gym rat into bodybuilding and the absolute best organic protein is not something i just give away.
Old 10-26-2017, 05:35 PM

Hum I love to give to those that don't hunt and ask gives them a understanding of why i do it .Just saying

Last edited by last minute; 10-26-2017 at 05:41 PM.
Old 10-26-2017, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
I just think people don't understand the value of it. There's so much that goes into harvesting and processing it. I usually have people over for big butchering parties and they all leave with a generous amount. The ones that do ask for meet the odd time might get a taste but will typically end up being invited to butcher to earn their own
That's it for me, just that people don't understand the value of it. They think its free and they think its 3rd rate. They let their kids throw it in the garbage if they don't want to finish, they feed the leftovers to their dogs, they leave it in their freezer for 3 years and then toss it. When I haul a moose out of the bush on my back it sure isn't so I can feed it to my dog or throw it away.

In general I don't harvest more meat than I can use myself, there just isn't enough game in the bush to feed everyone's buddy's and relatives. I do give some meat away at times, but I tend to give more freely to those that I feel understand the value of wild meat to some degree.
Old 10-26-2017, 07:07 PM

We have done pretty well this year.
There is a native guy at work that is always asking for meat and even offers to buy it from.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
I don't bother keeping score but in the end I hope I have given much more than I have taken.

If anyone needs some meat, I always have lots.
x2.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:09 PM

Default I don't mind sharing either but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
My aunt made the mistake of telling Dad the meat we hunted was "free". As in, "why can't I have some? you get it for free".

Dad had her come over for cutting day to have her earn some "free" meat.

She kind of sort of got it a little bit after that. You don't cut the belly open and have little brown packages fall out.

LC
I think I spent way more money pound for pound to shoot my Antelope this year than if I would have bought a top placing 4H calf.