Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-24-2024, 10:40 AM

Default Home insurance.

Time for us to look at a new home insurance broker,
At the moment we are with Intact , but I found a company called Square one which is $700.00 cheaper than Intact.

Anyone deal with Square one?

Or know of a good company in the Innisfail/ Red deer area?
Old 03-24-2024, 11:15 AM

Search house insurance on here. Lots of good info on those threads.

Short bit of advice. A good broker is WAY more important than where they are located. I have moved all over and kept the same St Albert broker. Drayden Insurance, agent is Shawna O'Neil 780-801-3105. Second, you have to make very sure you are getting the same coverage before evaluating price or at least know what you are giving up for the lower price.

Shawna understands acreage and rural insurance very well. She has saved me a lot of money over the years by proactively shopping our insurance every couple of years, or if there is a big year over year increase. She has also insured, that where appropriate, we have proper coverage for flood, forest fire etc. and that the rates reflect proximity of fire house and the local Super Tanker rating. That alone makes a $3,500 a year difference in the premium.
Old 03-24-2024, 11:32 AM

If you handload ammunition, be sure to verify that the company will cover you, some companies won't.
Old 03-24-2024, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
If you handload ammunition, be sure to verify that the company will cover you, some companies won't.
And how would they know if you don’t tell them? Less they know is better!
Old 03-24-2024, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
And how would they know if you don’t tell them? Less they know is better!
Suppose you have a house fire, and investigators discover a reloading setup in the home. You have violated the terms of your policy, so they could void the policy.
Old 03-24-2024, 03:25 PM

The best I found was Costco give them a call
Old 03-24-2024, 04:15 PM

Td insurance is a good cheap one worth looking at
Old 03-24-2024, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn View Post
The best I found was Costco give them a call
Went this way last year, they were cheapest! Well guess what? This year the renewal went up …. 25%! Left them and went with PC insurance. I used to stay with the same company for 15 years but they have loyalty to you so why should I be loyal? Go with the cheapest one.
Old 03-24-2024, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrat View Post
Td insurance is a good cheap one worth looking at
We got a quote from them and they were 200 less then what we pay now.
Old 03-25-2024, 05:55 AM

I used to be Coperators and they have been raising the rates big time over the last couple years. Went with broker link saved 1500 on the the house and the 1000 on vehicles.
Old 03-25-2024, 09:56 AM

I like my present insurance company, I payed just over $5000 to build my two stall garage and they claim I need $40,000 of insurance to replace it. Cannot wait for check to arrive in the mail.
Old 03-25-2024, 03:45 PM

The company's willingness to pay out without making a big hastle for you is the most important.

I've been impressed with the way Northland Insurance has been handling the fire claim for the farm. Some of their contractors, not so much. As soon as they get the assessment from the assessment contractor, they're emailing with a copy of the assessment and offering to have a check in the mail the next day.

Contrast that to my friend with the CoOperators when he had a fire, and he had to sue them to get them to pay out.
Old 03-25-2024, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Suppose you have a house fire, and investigators discover a reloading setup in the home. You have violated the terms of your policy, so they could void the policy.
The above is very true

When I was a firefighter in Ontario we had a house fire with a large amount of powder that exploded and blew the whole front of the house out just prior to our arrival.
Insurance company would not be impressed.
Worse thing you can do is try to hide something, they are always looking for a out
Old 03-26-2024, 10:15 AM

I would never deal with a broker. Here is what happened to me.

Lived in Calgary dealt with a broker. Insurance policy was directed to Intact.
Moved to Edmonton. Insurance continued with the Calgary Insurance broker for years. Somehow I remembered that my insurance must be coming due. Looked at my insurance policy yeas it was due in two days. Never got a statement. Phoned the broker in Calgary, talked with the owner. He said oh we no longer deal with Intact, so that is why we didn't send you a statement. I phoned Intact. Asked for agents for Intact in Edmonton area. They gave me a name of a broker in Sherwood Park.
Called the Sherwood Park Broker explained what happened, gave him a photo copy of my insurance policies. I had no time to shop around as I traveled for work extensively and was on my way to Quebec. Got insurance however it was deemed as new policy and not a renewal. Rates when up and insurance remained with Intact. Remained with the Sherwood Park broker and Intact.
6 Years later got a call from the Sherwood Park Broker: Oh we no longer deal with Intact. He was very nice and suggested an insurance company from Newfoundland. Got the quote yep insurance went up by approx $800. Deemed as a new customer. So I shopped around got 8 quotes. But this time I decided no broker for me and was leaned towards dealing direct with an insurance company.
Best deal was with Allstate; Rates were over $1,000 less. Have been dealing with them for several years. They have a policy if no claims on autos the deductible is removed. So today we have no deductable on our autos.
Just renewed last Friday.
House replacement value $924,000 Personal Property $647,000
2 Auto's: Collision, No deductable 2 Mil Liability
Motorhome Collision, Glass, 2 Mil Liability
Boat, Boat Motor, Boat Trailer : Theft, 2 Mil Liability
Total Premium over $1,000 less than two other companies.

Funny, as I was just talking to a friend of our family. He just received a letter from his insurance company: stating: they no longer continue coverage based on your agent (@#$) no longer represents us for personal lines property and casuality business.
Looks like you are in Red Deer give Allstate a call but shop around.
Allstate Insurance
2325-50 Ave Red Deer
Phone (587) 802-3302