Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-24-2024, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
We are watching a glorified game of shinny nowadays…
You got that right!
Old 03-24-2024, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
We are watching a glorified game of shinny nowadays…
No guff, I really enjoy the game less when they can cross the blueline looking down at the puck in their skates & Scott Stevens bodychecks his couch at home

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 03-25-2024, 01:56 AM

^ Lol. I laughed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
After a pretty weird start, Ovi has 16 goals in 21 games. Would have been on pace for another 50+ goal season (56, I think). I wonder what happened. New coach surely, but got to be something else, I think? He had a slow season when Bruce became the coach a few years back, with 30-some goal season until they figured it out. Pretty sure another season he had a slower start after what’s his name was hired as the coach, but he eventually finished with over 50 (on pace for would be a 70+ after he picked it up again, I believe). So maybe that’s just it? Never such a slow start as this year though. Hope he will keep rocking that net! I have no (or very little?) doubt he will pass the Papa on the total once he is done and over with.
2 more for that guy today.
Old 03-27-2024, 09:36 AM

The wildcard race is heating up, most teams have 10 games left to secure a spot or book at tee time, the stretch run is going to produce some dog fights as it should.

Can't believe the Canadians beat the Avs both times they played this year, the Rangers are the first team to hit 100 points this year and by the end of the regular season there could conceivably be 10 teams with 100 or more points

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 03-27-2024, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
The wildcard race is heating up, most teams have 10 games left to secure a spot or book at tee time, the stretch run is going to produce some dog fights as it should.

Can't believe the Canadians beat the Avs both times they played this year, the Rangers are the first team to hit 100 points this year and by the end of the regular season there could conceivably be 10 teams with 100 or more points
Not much of a race though really. In reality, it's will Washington or Detroit make it and it's probably going to be Washington, they've got more points and a game in hand. MoneyPuck gives Detroit a less than 30% chance. What could be interesting, is the positioning within the teams that have made it.
Old 03-27-2024, 11:53 AM

Quote:

Habs have had 39 one goal games this year. I am a fan and watch all their games ( bell). At some point it can not just be development and you have to have results but I like the young guys. Was tough watching them live a few weeks ago losing to the Flames!!!!
Old 03-27-2024, 01:07 PM

Toronto, Winnipeg, Vancouver and Edmonton looks like they will be in the playoffs. Hopefully non are matched up the first round. I want maximum Canadian teams playing just to tick off Bettman.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 03-28-2024, 11:20 AM

Rumor was Flames offered Lindholm 8 years at $8.5-$9M per season. I bet Conroy is feeling unbelievably lucky he dodged that bullet and Lindholm is thinking he's an idiot for not signing it.

He's up there with superstars I'm sure you've heard of, last 15 games:

-Dakota Joshua, $825k cap hit, 3 G, 4 A;
-Pius Suter, $1.6M cap hit, 1 G, 3 A;
-Noah Juulsen, $775k cap hit, 1 G, 2 A; and,
-Elias Lindholm, $4.85M cap hit, 1 G, 3 A.

At this rate, is anyone even offering him a $6M contract? Maybe he'll come around in the playoffs, but I feel he likely worked himself out of $30M plus.
Old 03-30-2024, 08:20 PM

The Jets are sure in a slump L6 in a row now, they got to get their poop in a group in the last 10 game or they could golfing

Old 04-05-2024, 05:56 AM

It's crunch time, as of today 8 teams have officially qualified for the playoffs and 8 teams have officially been eliminated from the playoffs, over the next couple days those numbers will grow exponentially as 3 or 4 teams are only 1 win or 1 loss away from knowing their fate.

7 teams have cracked the 100 point barrier and 4 or 5 still have a chance to crack it, could very well end up with 75% of the playoff teams with 100+ points, should be some great playoff hockey

Old 04-05-2024, 06:17 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
It's crunch time, as of today 8 teams have officially qualified for the playoffs and 8 teams have officially been eliminated from the playoffs, over the next couple days those numbers will grow exponentially as 3 or 4 teams are only 1 win or 1 loss away from knowing their fate.

7 teams have cracked the 100 point barrier and 4 or 5 still have a chance to crack it, could very well end up with 75% of the playoff teams with 100+ points, should be some great playoff hockey
Watch a team that just squeezed in win the cup....post season is a different animal.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-05-2024, 08:21 AM

Well Waldedw, it's a tighter race than I expected (who knew Philly and Washington would lose 5 and 4 straight, respectively), with five teams within 2 points for two spots.

I find myself cheering for Pittsburgh and Sid specifically. Fighting for the playoffs and he's the only guy on the team with 60+ points.
Old 04-07-2024, 05:44 AM

I had written the Islanders off for dead but they are making a push, won 4 in a row and are now in the 3rd playoff spot and pushed the flyers out of the playoffs, and Sid the kid is back in again. 5 teams within 3 points battling for 2 spots, could come down to the last game.

The wild card race in the east is much tighter than in the west which is pretty much set, the Blues are 7 points back with 5 games left.

Old 04-09-2024, 11:53 PM

Some tight race in the east, indeed. Washington with a win over Detroit today. Islanders beat Rangers, which I didn’t think was going to happen. All in the race have each four games remaining. I don’t think Flyers are coming back.

Capitals are still to play Buffalo, Tampa, Boston, Flyers.
Pittsburg - Detroit, Boston, Nashville, Islanders.
Detroit - Pittsburg, Toronto, Montreal, Montreal.
Islanders - Montreal, Rangers, Devils, Pittsburg.

Red Wings have a bit of an advantage here, imo. Yet, Capitals don’t have to “split” the points with the others in the race - that is, only one team in the race can pick up 2 points when playing each other - but they have to face Boston and Tampa, neither of which is much of a joke. They could also easily lose all four though, lol. Who knows.

I used to be a dedicated Detroit fan, but that was a while back. I am also a Capitals fan. Would be nice for Sid and Malkin to get another chance at the Cup. Can’t say I particularly care for Islanders, as in indifferent. On the other hand, neither of the teams will move too far, regardless of which two get in, imo. So likely it doesn’t really matter who gets in.

Ovechkkn scored his 30th of the season today, taking the historic lead with 18 30-goal seasons. The guy only scored less than 30 once in his career and that was 24 in 45 games when rona ruined everything. 852 goals for this guy so far. At the same time, he is sitting at number four all-time on the hits list as well, according to the official NHL count. On the following list, he is at number 5, but I wanted to see how his goals/points compared to the others on the same list:

Chara is number 14 all-time in hits officially, so not sure what gives (but don’t particularly care either).

Matthews scored his 66 today. With four games remaining, can he get to 70? He has to score 487 more goals to catch up to the guy talked about above, rather this today’s talley. He is also 12 years younger and played about 880 less games. He only played all 82 games of the season once in his career so far though (his rookie season).

9 players have so far scored 100 points or more this season, with Nylander potentially (likely?) getting there as well (currently at 96).

9 teams have so far over 100 points with at least a couple more likely to get there.
Old 04-10-2024, 02:22 AM

I thought for sure the Flyers would be in this year, they have tanked and lost 8 in a row now, still only 3 points out, maybe they tanked on purpose trying to get Tortorella fired

McDavid is 9 points back in the scoring race now, don't think he will do it, especially since they are reporting a lower body injury and game time decision for tonight, my guess is he sits out. he only needs 1 assist in the last 5 games to get to 100 which should not be hard to do.

MacKinnon is a beast, hat trick last night, the boy can roll and kucherov just keeps putting up points, 3 more last night

Old 04-13-2024, 08:58 AM

Coyotes moving to Salt Lake City.

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/arizona-c...says-1.6845810
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 04-13-2024, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Worst kept secret in the league
Old 04-13-2024, 10:44 PM

Looks like the east will be decided on the last day. Super tight race. Islanders lost to the Rangers today, but sitting in with 90 points. Washington with a win over Tampa and Detroit over Toronto. Philly squeezed in a goal and beat the Devils 1:0. Pittsburg lost to Boston though. Detroit, Caps, and Flyers all have 87 points, while Penguins have 86. Philly with only 1 game remaining, while all others with 2.

Matthews scored his 69th today. 2 more games to get one more.

Neither Kucherov nor MacKinnon had any points today (a rare turn of events, lol). Kicherov is still first with 141 and Mathan is second with 137. Each have a couple more games to get a few more. Was hoping someone would break 150, but it is not looking good.
Old 04-15-2024, 10:20 PM

Islanders clinched. Nothing changed for Detroit, Pittsburg, and Capitals since all had won today. They surely are fighting. Boston failed to score on the Caps. Caps are yet to play Philly, Detroit will Montreal again, and Pittsburg will play Islanders. Things are not looking good for Philly. Detroit definitely has an advantage here. I am going to cheer for Caps.
Old 04-16-2024, 01:19 PM

Well, unless Vegas somehow loses to either the Sharks or Blackhawks, looks like they are playing Edmonton in the 1st round. Edmonton or the team a few points out of 1st in the league, gotta think that's proper motivation to get it done too!
Old 04-16-2024, 07:51 PM

Looks like it’s settled and the Caps are in, books are closed.

Old 04-16-2024, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Looks like it’s settled and the Caps are in, books are closed.
Gotta be one of the worse differentials a playoff bound team has ever had!
Old 04-16-2024, 08:52 PM

And for their troubles they get the Rangers in round 1

Old 04-16-2024, 08:55 PM

Boston looses to the Sen's and get the Leaf's

Battle of Florida

Hurricanes and Isles

The east is set

Old 04-16-2024, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Gotta be one of the worse differentials a playoff bound team has ever had!
Haha. They’ll be out in the first round anyway.

Heavily leaning towards Rangers drinking champagne this year.
Old 04-16-2024, 09:09 PM

Quote:

Boston looses to the Sen's and get the Leaf's

Battle of Florida

Hurricanes and Isles

The east is set
Gonna run ahead and say it’s going to be Rangers, Leafs, Tampa, and Canes heading to round 2. Unless Vassilevsky (spelling?) will crap pants - never seemed to find his consistency after last year.
Old 04-16-2024, 10:58 PM

Canucks clinch Pacific Division.
Old 04-17-2024, 09:39 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-17-2024, 05:17 PM

Default Last Chance at History

Kucherov sitting on 99 assists

Mathews sitting on 69 goals

They are playing each other as we speak, Will they both do it

I say yes to both

Kuch already has a goal tonight

Old 04-17-2024, 06:26 PM

^ Hope so. Cheering for both of them.

Edit: it’s a pretty great game! This powerplay that just happened was quite great (and a post from Stammer on Kucherov’s pass). A goalpost from Matthews as well earlier.

Edit 2: Epic. Kicherov is in!

Edit 3: Leafs are melting.

Last edited by fishnguy; 04-17-2024 at 06:42 PM.