Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-10-2008, 08:10 PM
-TROUT-

Default Hows the Oilfield?

Just curious how the oilfield is going right now? starting up again?
Looking at going back to it, railroad is a good job but the pay is not great at all and they took away all the overtime again. So kind of looking around. I have a good truck now to so that helps allot.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:17 PM

LOL, weren't you going to go be a cop or a fireman or something, like just last week? It's hard to keep track of all your different careers. LOL To answer your question, the oilfield is a little slow right at the moment with all the wet weather.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:19 PM

Cool

with all the rain we been having not all that good from what i have heard things are going to get busy again i hope with the price of nat gas sitting around 12 bucks you would think the oil com whould start to drill again lots of drilling job overseas if you are in to that but i like to work close to home my rig is going to go back when it dries up so they say hope there right life in the patch i guess
Old 06-10-2008, 08:42 PM
-TROUT-

Quote:
Originally Posted by delburnedave View Post
LOL, weren't you going to go be a cop or a fireman or something, like just last week? It's hard to keep track of all your different careers. LOL To answer your question, the oilfield is a little slow right at the moment with all the wet weather.
I was just asking about it as I have had many friends go that direction..
Old 06-10-2008, 08:42 PM

Default Wish I had a breakup!

The oil game is cruising along quick where I am at, in North Dakota. All the companies are flat out; Drilling, Directional, Casing, Pipelining, Wirelining...etc.
I am not sure about getting a job here though unless you have certain amounts of experience, how much I am still trying to find out.
Crossing the border is getting stickier and stickier everytime I leave and return from work. Small price to pay I guess, I was in Peru drilling offshore and almost of all our guys came down with some sort of horrible sickness. One guy's kidneys shut down, another was convinced to bring home a Peruvian chick to make his wife!
I returned after around 120 days with Dysentry and some bad damage to my guts. I eat a lot of game, spicy food and have a very balanced diet, so my guts were seasoned! The only men that were more resistant to the local bacteria were the silverbacks. They got mildly sick, where the young boys were knocked down time and time again.

I hear through the grapevine that the patch is supposed to fly again soon, SE Sask is going strong drilling the Bakken, as there are also rigs in Northern North Dakota and Montana drilling that same formation.
I am further south near South Dakota drilling the hell formation, the Red River.
Faulted, fractured, full of gas, and only a two foot zone. Up dipping up to 94, and many of the faults are not expected or charted. We were rotating in zone beauty after developing a nice trend of top and bottom bouncing when WHAMMY! piled into another unexpected fault. Today is day 32, already plugged back our first curve, and had to re-land a new one. Now we are talking about pulling back again to redrill the lateral. Better go back driving trains!
Old 06-10-2008, 08:50 PM
-TROUT-

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisherman Guy View Post
I am not sure about getting a job here though unless you have certain amounts of experience, how much I am still trying to find out.
Ya don't think id go to the states, I don't even have a passport. I have done allot, pipeline, ran my own crew on the pipeline, safety coordinator/supervisor, ran pressure truck and 1, 7, and 18 ton picker trucks, built and serviced wellheads, apprenticed welding, plant maintenance. and theres some more. Most of what I just mentioned was with the same company the whole time.

wouldn't mind getting into operating as I did train a little with an operator.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:02 PM
Shrubs

Got a couple friends that work for Trinidad and they've been going steady, I think they're workin in BC right now.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:10 PM

Default Oil Biz

Tons of workin the Oil Biz right now Buddy. Just get that Resume/CV up to date and start throwing it out there.

Mudder back from Eygpt
Old 06-11-2008, 06:11 AM

ive been flat out all year....break up is a myth for me...lots of work in the patch...
Old 06-11-2008, 06:24 AM

I keep reading on this site how busy the patch is, yet I've had more time off than any other time in my life, the last 18+ months.
Every company I've talked to says the same: too darned slow.
Stay where you are T, you'll make more in the long run !
Old 06-11-2008, 07:11 AM
Hoochie Papa

Everyody is chomping at the bit right now waiting for the monsoons to quit. The day before its dry enough, rigs will be headed out in droves.
If you throw a resume out to the major companies, you will be hired right away. Just be ready to head out next week to who knows where.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:53 AM

We've got two rigs going hard in Central Alberta. Got them into location before all the rain. Might be delayed getting them out though.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -TROUT- View Post
Looking at going back to it, railroad is a good job but the pay is not great at all and they took away all the overtime again. So kind of looking around.
Best time to look for a job is when ya got one Trout.....keep banging away until you get the one you want!!!!

tm
Old 06-11-2008, 08:38 AM

You guys know of any companies that are looking for drilling waste technicians?
Old 06-11-2008, 09:56 AM
-TROUT-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Monkey View Post
Best time to look for a job is when ya got one Trout.....keep banging away until you get the one you want!!!!

tm
exactly what i'm gonna do!!
Old 06-11-2008, 11:23 AM

fisherman guy
who are you working for down in the states if you dont mind me asking are they a canadian drilling contractor or american would be interesting working in the states i have been a driller for the last 8 yrs and relief toolpush the last 2yrs i have a passport and no criminal record cant be much father driving to dakotas or to gp from calgary
Old 06-11-2008, 12:06 PM
-TROUT-

what do you guys know about trican? I have an offer with them, will get me my class one and stuff.
Old 06-11-2008, 02:55 PM

Well serviceing outfit,nice iron,supposed to pay good,like anyone else right now though probably,boom or bust.Lot'sa time away from home.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:09 PM
Banned

Our company is running 40% of its fleet of 140 service rigs currently. Lots of work on the horizon for 2008. 2009 and 2010 is supposed to be very very busy.
Old 06-11-2008, 05:46 PM

be ready to work alot of hours...they will be flat out soon...get your class 1 then get some bush driving exp. then get a good tanker job..
Old 06-11-2008, 06:14 PM
-TROUT-

BearBait, thats what I plan to do, they said there future is looking very busy. There looking for 16 guys. Once I get my class 1 Id still like to get into operating..had some training...
Old 06-11-2008, 08:59 PM

If your considering being an operator don't get on on the rigs unless your looking for some hard, short term work to get you through hunting season. Most outfits are only running two crews per rig so you'll be going flat out once it dries up. If your looking for stability get a job that is production related, job security is better.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:33 AM

Default Directional

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowfin View Post
fisherman guy
who are you working for down in the states if you dont mind me asking are they a canadian drilling contractor or american would be interesting working in the states i have been a driller for the last 8 yrs and relief toolpush the last 2yrs i have a passport and no criminal record cant be much father driving to dakotas or to gp from calgary
Bowfin:

I work for a directional company called Newsco. We have work all over the world; India, Russia, Indonesia, Peru, Syria, UAE, Canada and the US. I do know that the border crossings are getting sticky as I mentioned previously. Just a bother, I have nothing to hide, I just do not approve of the "guilty until proven innocent" tone that is always taken when I cross the border. It adds uneccessary stress to the already long drive. Just bought a dirtbike here, we'll see what kind of effing fiasco that will be, all the paperwork is lined up right, so we'll see how it goes.
HALF PRICE IN MONTANA COMPARED TO CANADA

If you are wanting to move Bowfin, directional could be up your alley. Ever consider being a directional driller? Pay is good, hours can be better or worse depends on how you like it. Once a guy is established after a few years he can go consulting, start your own consulting company and work when you want to work. (that's the idea anyway! )

The drive to GP, John or Dawson is what, about 8 to GP, 10 to John and Dawson... Depending on where I work in the states, the drives are about 14-15 to the deep parts of North Dakota, but we also have work in Indiana and Oaklahoma, which the hands all drive to. Three days driving, 12, 12, and 8-10 hour increments. Mileage paid to staff hands as well as consultants for their trucks.

Let me know if you would like to know more,

Gibs