Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-11-2008, 10:30 AM

Default Trolls or Genuine Questions

So if you suspect a guy is a troll and posting something on here hoping to get a rise out of someone but appears to be polite, should you respond?

Maybe they are asking a legitimate question. Maybe not. I'm not an expert on firearms nor hunting and all of my knowledge wouldn't fill a chapter in the books that could be written by some on this board. I assume however, that if a person is interested in hunting, that they would do a little bit of research on their own.

If the question seems to be genuine, I see that some people will give some advice and info but .....

On one hand, I don't think we should turn anyone away with sarcastic responses to very basic questions but on the other hand, some of the questions make a guy wonder if he's being played.

Either way, I get valuable information on here too. I'm sure I've asked a few dumb ones myself.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:02 AM

Like using a 17 hmr for black bear

One guy sayin negative is enough.......no other responses necessary

tm
Old 06-11-2008, 11:06 AM

M70, I hear ya about someone appearing to be polite on the surface, but in reality..............

I too have probably asked some dumb questions (although they didn't seem that way to me at the time), and gotten some great and helpful answers. My knowledge base has increased 10 fold in a short period of time.

The other thing to remember, is that many members are perhaps quite young without any experience. Just a desire to be a part of the outdoors. It's a judgement call for sure, but I think that 9 times out of 10 the questions are legitimate, and if I can help I well. Pay it foreward as a thank you I guess.

Tree
Old 06-11-2008, 11:20 AM

I like to give people the benifit of a doubt. I have found the I will sometime post a question and then google it right after I post, more or less answering my own question. but I still like to get input from some like minded outdoors people. The questions that I think are troll generated I dont bother to comment there is enough people ready to pile on.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:28 AM

I just joined this board a few days ago. I've already asked some rather basic questions, and have found most to be quite helpful.

Some legal understandings have been clarified for me, and I've learned from some more experianced sportsmen.

I'm not a rookie, but I'm not an expert either. Seems to me that the collective knowledge of members of this forum is quite extensive.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:37 PM
Nationwide

Quote:
M70, I hear ya about someone appearing to be polite on the surface, but in reality..............
Not sure what treeguy means by this but hey.

Quote:
So if you suspect a guy is a troll and posting something on here hoping to get a rise out of someone but appears to be polite, should you respond?
WELL If you suspect then "DONT" Respond.there are many regs that will troll from time to time not sure why.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:04 PM

Hey Nationwide .................................................. ................. This is me not responding.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:35 PM

Ha aha!
Old 06-11-2008, 11:27 PM

we have a lot of new board members who are also new people to the sport of hunting and/or fishing. They are not dumb or stupid they just have no knowledge of these activities. The only way they are going to learn is to ask questions. Just remember that the only dumb question, is the one that goes unasked. Anyone rediculing a person for asking a question should put themselves in the other persons shoes. IE: Wiring a welder recepticle. How many of you would have to go to an electrician to ask how to do it. The questions you asked him would be common knowledge to him and seem very dumb. But to you, since you have no knowledge on wiring,the question would seem like a logical honest question.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:37 AM

Default Just remember that the only dumb question, is the one that goes unasked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsundance View Post
we have a lot of new board members who are also new people to the sport of hunting and/or fishing. They are not dumb or stupid they just have no knowledge of these activities. The only way they are going to learn is to ask questions. Just remember that the only dumb question, is the one that goes unasked. Anyone rediculing a person for asking a question should put themselves in the other persons shoes. IE: Wiring a welder recepticle. How many of you would have to go to an electrician to ask how to do it. The questions you asked him would be common knowledge to him and seem very dumb. But to you, since you have no knowledge on wiring,the question would seem like a logical honest question.

Just remember that the only dumb question, is the one that goes unasked.
X2

A Good Friend told me,
Wind from the East fish bite the least, Wind from the West fish bite the best...