Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-21-2024, 07:37 AM

Default Best online places to sell atv?

Sorry if this doesn’t being in this part of the forum. I’ve heard kijiiji is full of scammers so it is maybe worth avoiding. Anyone used Facebook market place for such a thing? My kid won a brand new Polaris rzr xp 1000 at a fishing derby on Sunday and he’ll be looking to unload and I was just looking for advice on best place to do such a thing.
Old 03-21-2024, 08:02 AM

I prefer Facebook marketplace. Still scammers but somewhat easier to tell.
Can view facebook profile.
Example is if they are members for a long time, have plenty of friends on friends list, photos of family, etc…….
It’s not 100% but it’s way better.
If the profile is too private or only has 10 friends and few pics, and is a relatively new profile I usually avoid it.
Again no site is free of scammers.
Old 03-21-2024, 08:16 AM

I've been selling most things on FB Marketplace, haven't had any problems with scammers to date. I've sold small items and boats/motors, trailers, tree stands, all sorts of stuff.
Old 03-21-2024, 08:42 AM

The favourite scam on both sites seems to be the vehicle history report.

They engage you first ,asking when they can come and see it, condition etc, then the ask you to go to a website and buy a vehicle history report. Like a carfax but it’s not a carfax. That’s the scam. You can spot them pretty easy.

They usually tell you some line about having to come from some distance and taking time from work and getting someone to bring them so they really need this report so they are not wasting their time
Old 03-21-2024, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvsask View Post
Sorry if this doesn’t being in this part of the forum. I’ve heard kijiiji is full of scammers so it is maybe worth avoiding. Anyone used Facebook market place for such a thing? My kid won a brand new Polaris rzr xp 1000 at a fishing derby on Sunday and he’ll be looking to unload and I was just looking for advice on best place to do such a thing.
FB marketplace for best price unless it’s a really hot item. See if there are any Off-roading ATV groups on Facebook to join. Then post the question to them with a link to the derby and prize won.

As well as state in person sales only. No e-transfers or deliveries. For the price you may want to meet at a bank to transfer/ deposit a certified money order for the purchase price.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 03-21-2024, 09:01 AM

Cycle works west was pretty good
sold a quad a year old. on,y twenty two kilometres on it for within 200 bucks of what I paid and they took 650 bucks with,no inspection fee

can get you the salesman name if needed
This was last year in the spring and it took 2 weeks to sell
Old 03-21-2024, 09:24 AM

How could you possibly be scammed?

Buyer attends with CASH. Count the CASH. Give over the keys and he / she / it loads up the machine.

Simple formula. No Paypal, no fake EMT, no cheque.

If the buyer does not like that, then no deal.

Drewski
Old 03-21-2024, 09:26 AM

Stock is still in short supply for many dealers. I agree with CB, I would call a few local Polaris dealers, I would bet they will buy it outright or take it as a consignment sale at least. The fact the dealer can provide financing really opens up the number of buys for a relatively high dollar item
Old 03-21-2024, 09:32 AM

Cash is good, unless it's not. There has been a sharp increase in counterfeit cash circulating (google it, you'll see stories and RCMP warnings from one end of Canada to the other). Paying counterfeit cash for an item that is high dollar, easy to resell, private transaction, has become a preferred way to move funny money apparently. If seller notices, the buyer just takes off. Low risk transaction. Just thought I'd mention it. Trust your gut.

I agree with Dean2 on this, you'll do well with less headache.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 03-21-2024, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Talk to the dealer that donated it. Bet they buy it back and while you wait for their low ball offer, put it on FB Marketplace & Kijiji. My friend sold his 4 yr old Can Am 850 Outlander ATV within hours of listing it, the market is still hot enough and the season is about to start. Perfect timing.

Last edited by Sooner; 03-21-2024 at 09:53 AM.
Old 03-21-2024, 09:47 AM

Town post is also a good site .
Old 03-21-2024, 09:51 AM

Just had this exchange, perfect example of the scammers on Kijiji and marketplace
IMG_2107.jpg
Old 03-21-2024, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
How could you possibly be scammed?

Buyer attends with CASH. Count the CASH. Give over the keys and he / she / it loads up the machine.

Simple formula. No Paypal, no fake EMT, no cheque.

If the buyer does not like that, then no deal.

Drewski
For small cash amounts I agree. However, with the scum today, people last summer were going around Cranston SE Calgary at yard sales with counterfeit bills. I would not want to chance that on a big ticket item.
Old 03-21-2024, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
Just had this exchange, perfect example of the scammers on Kijiji and marketplace
Attachment 189615
Love that response.
Old 03-21-2024, 10:04 AM

Sell a 10,000.00 dollar item for cash yes.
But never buy one.
Unless you do the transaction inside of a police station.
Unless you want a gun pointed at your head while they take your cash.
Just a reminder to anyone who plans on buying an expensive item.
Heck I wouldn’t even buy a 1000.00 item with cash.
It’s fairly common in other places to set up a bogus meeting place and get robbed of your cash.
Old 03-21-2024, 10:10 AM

Kijiji, FB, Townpost, here. Just use your head and you'll be fine.
Old 03-21-2024, 10:21 AM

Well how do u do business then? I have noticed people seem reluctant to buy from me with cash. Example come to my farm with cash if its someone who doesn't know me. Never accured to me they were worried about getting robbed.
Old 03-21-2024, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W921 View Post
Well how do u do business then? I have noticed people seem reluctant to buy from me with cash. Example come to my farm with cash if its someone who doesn't know me. Never accured to me they were worried about getting robbed.
Lots of people will do an e transfer at your place and wait there till it clears.

I did this the last time I did a marketplace purchase. Not always as convenient but it works.
Old 03-21-2024, 11:41 AM

First and foremost issue, Canadian Cash is pretty hard to counterfeit. If it looks off and feels funny, hold the bill up to the sun and you will see the hologram in the view area.

If a buyer is wary about bringing over cash, tell them to come look at it and bring their Drivers Licence. You offer to show them yours and they have to show you theirs before you show them the goods. If the deal is made, they come back with the cash knowing who you are and you knowing who they are.

If both sides are legit, no problem. If BS it ends right there very fast. You want the DL to fill out the Bill of Sale anyway so there should be no push back, unless its a scammer.

Works every time and I don't have to waste my time on some sort of scammer.

Drewski
Old 03-21-2024, 12:04 PM

Get a bank draft. Might take a few days to clear. When it does buyer loads er up.
Old 03-21-2024, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Stock is still in short supply for many dealers. I agree with CB, I would call a few local Polaris dealers, I would bet they will buy it outright or take it as a consignment sale at least. The fact the dealer can provide financing really opens up the number of buys for a relatively high dollar item
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message
Thanks for all of the responses folks. Obviously cash is ideal, but this is a roughly $30000 item before taxes so not really practical. lol

I actually walked in and talked to the dealer that it came from yesterday. I explained my kid had won the side by side they just sold for the derby. He told me the price was 30k and I suggested as they sold it for 30 k plus tax, we'd give it back to them for less than that, like 26 ish, take a quad off their hands and get the difference in cash and then they could make a few grand again off it. They had absolutely zero interest in such a transaction. It's a good problem to have for sure but in a perfect world that unit would have been bought at the other dealership here in town as I think the people there would have been open to such an idea.
Old 03-21-2024, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Thanks for all of the responses folks. Obviously cash is ideal, but this is a roughly $30000 item before taxes so not really practical. lol

I actually walked in and talked to the dealer that it came from yesterday. I explained my kid had won the side by side they just sold for the derby. He told me the price was 30k and I suggested as they sold it for 30 k plus tax, we'd give it back to them for less than that, like 26 ish, take a quad off their hands and get the difference in cash and then they could make a few grand again off it. They had absolutely zero interest in such a transaction. It's a good problem to have for sure but in a perfect world that unit would have been bought at the other dealership here in town as I think the people there would have been open to such an idea.
Often when items are donated the retail value is inflated as a promotional boost and tax right off. I would check what they are selling for not the MSRP as described by the dealer.
Old 03-21-2024, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
Often when items are donated the retail value is inflated as a promotional boost and tax right off. I would check what they are selling for not the MSRP as described by the dealer.
It wasn't donated, it was purchased by derby committee and the 30k seems pretty on par with any place I can find this particular unit online.
Old 03-24-2024, 08:10 AM

Quote:
It wasn't donated, it was purchased by derby committee and the 30k seems pretty on par with any place I can find this particular unit online.
Unfortunately it is now considered a used machine seeing as it has had 2 owners, the derby committee and now your son.

Congrats on the win. Discount it $3-4k from MSRP and throw it on Kijiji and Marketplace. I’ve used both and have had good luck. Don’t put your phone number on it and make them message you. You’ll be able to pick up the scammers fairly easy that way.
Old 03-24-2024, 09:05 AM

What is the model of this RZR? Might know of someone who may be interested.

No, not trying to scam anyone.

Thanks
Old 03-26-2024, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjay View Post
What is the model of this RZR? Might know of someone who may be interested.

No, not trying to scam anyone.

Thanks
He said it in the original post, but no indication of the # of doors...
I would hazard a guess that it's the "Ultimate 2dr", with an MSRP of $30,400.

Quote:

My kid won a brand new Polaris RZR XP 1000...

Last edited by FishOutOfWater; 03-26-2024 at 10:58 AM.
Old 03-26-2024, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishOutOfWater View Post
He said it in the original post, but no indication of the # of doors...
I would hazard a guess that it's the "Ultimate 2dr", with an MSRP of $30,400.
Yes, I read that part in the OP!

There are 3 different base models, with numerous options for each base model.

Was just trying to narrow it down some.