Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-28-2014, 08:34 AM

Default Hawaii shore fishing?

Hey gents,
I'm going to Hawaii for three weeks late December and want to do some shore fishing, already got my rod and reel set up, I'm looking for some tips on any essential tackle and lures to bring along, or should I just buy it there? Also got a deep sea trip set up. Will post pics upon arrival.
Old 11-28-2014, 09:04 AM

Which island?
Old 11-28-2014, 12:09 PM

Off the rocks a 1oz chrome crocodile spoon, catches everything...off the beaches or sight fishing in shallows or flats a Live-target shrimp, again catches most everything!
Old 11-28-2014, 12:20 PM

Thanks moefoe. Will grab those.
I will be on Kauai and the big island
Old 11-28-2014, 02:38 PM

Get some 3/4 to 1 oz egg sinkers, beads, swivels, mono leaders and single hooks. On the single hook put on some 2-3'' curly tail or small swim shads in clear/sparkly/translucent colors. Its basically a carolina rig with a grub on the end.

The order goes weight, bead, swivel, mono to hook.

Find a sandy area and cast it as far as you can. Let it hit the bottom and retrieve it at a medium speed with a jerky/twitchy retrieve. Allow the weight to return to the bottom intermittently. I've caught trumpet fish, bone fish, papio, puffer fish, goat fish and a moon fish? possibly doing this. I like a 8' rod with 20 pound braid as a main line for this set up, really lets you reach out there from shore.

Another good bet is trying something similar to a Mark White lure (look him up). He is a local and catches a lot of fish on his topwater lures. Similar to a cast master sort of but you keep your rod tip high and skitter your lure across the surface. It can lead to wild strikes!
Old 11-28-2014, 08:51 PM
Banned

I can tell you what I use when I fish for anything and everything in saltwater. Get and egg sinker rig. It has an egg sinker and 150 pound steel leader. At the end there is a snap swivel to get your hook onto there. Use a circle hook as it is practically self hooking and use a shrimp. I use live dead shrimp since I do not have the proper equipment to keep them alive and the just dead shrimp bought from the docks are the best. They still have that glimmer in the eyes that fish are attracted to. You can catch most bait stealers on a simple small hook rig with a piece of shrimp and then hook that fish onto the egg sinker rig. Let is swim and you will catch anything from a small shark to a stingray to a dolphin... I hate dolphins haha.
Old 11-29-2014, 12:29 AM

Cool. We are heading there I late February so I'm also interested in what to use. Keep it coming.
Old 11-29-2014, 08:58 AM

I too am going to Wailau in March. Hope to take a charter one day and shore fish the rest. Where can you find the regs for Hawaii or fishing licences?
Old 11-29-2014, 09:13 AM

As far as I can remember you only need a license if you are going to fish in freshwater in Hawaii. As far as fish from the ocean goes there are pretty well no limits on any fin fish I believe either. There is kind of an unwritten catch and release vibe down there for trevally species papio (giant trevally under 10 lb) ulua (gt over 10) and omilu ( blue finned trevally).