Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-30-2014, 08:14 AM

Default Does anyone have any recommendations about which Power Drill Ice Auger conversion kit to use?

I am going to buy a new drill to convert a manual ice auger into a power one. I am looking for any recommendations/suggestion what to do or not to do so that I dont waste my money.

I am looking at a Bosch drill 18V, 1/2" Chuck at Can Tire for $99 which seems like it would work. Also has a backup battery which would be great.

I have watched lots of videos online and saw one used in person and it worked great thru 2.5 feet of ice, but looking for real life advice for brand to use or avoid. I need to buy the drill and auger new as mine will not work.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-30-2014, 08:37 AM

I use a Milwaukee 18v brushless drill on an 8" auger. I used this set up last weekend and the weekend before that. I could probably drill a half dozen holes before the gas auger is even warmed up. But the ice was only 7" I don't think I'll use it when the ice is thick enough to drive on. Make sure what ever drill you buy it has the hammerdrill option as you will need this to drill into the ice.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:30 AM

i have the one from bass pro shops and a crappy tire drill works great but the only problem is some of the manual ice augers like mine does not have that spike inbetween the two auger blades that help keep the auger from wandering. i tried it two years ago and without the centering spike you have to watch your legs and foot unless you start really slow to get a few millimeters going then start to increase the power.
Old 11-30-2014, 10:24 AM

I own both a 1/2" 18v bosch and a 1/2 18v ridgid and I would have my doubts that the bosch would drive an auger. I used to use the ridgid for 6" and 8" holes in cold weather I would get 4-6 8" hole on a battery twice as many 6"ers.
Old 11-30-2014, 11:23 AM

Get the one with the biggest battery. I had an older Rigid that would give me about 20 holes per charge. When the drill died I replaced it with a Makita but the batteries were less than half the size and I'm lucky to get 6 holes out of it.
Old 11-30-2014, 01:26 PM

i use my 20 volt dewalt hammer drill with 3.0 batteries . works great for ice up to 12-18 '' but my auger blades are dull ?
Old 11-30-2014, 02:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by the local angler View Post
i have the one from bass pro shops and a crappy tire drill works great but the only problem is some of the manual ice augers like mine does not have that spike inbetween the two auger blades that help keep the auger from wandering. i tried it two years ago and without the centering spike you have to watch your legs and foot unless you start really slow to get a few millimeters going then start to increase the power.
Same issue here with a 6" bass pro auger, ended up with an. 8" hole and only. 3 holes drilled with my 18v lithium battery.

Still have the drill/auger attachment and auger, if anyone wants to try it out. Bought a gas auger shortly after wasting the money.
Old 11-30-2014, 04:06 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I guess in the end if I can even save myself drilling a few holes will be worth it. Cant afford the gas one at this point so will make do.
Old 11-30-2014, 05:45 PM

I have a 8 inch eskimo auger from peavey mart 50 bucks, adapter 10 canadian tire and used my dewalt 18v work drill. Worked as fast as a gas auger.

From my experience if ice is any thicker than 12 inches I would not use it.
If anything Ide stick to 6 inch holes with a drill.
If money is a issue I would stick with a hand crank auger as I ended burning out 2 drills in a season/half. It's very hard on them.
Great for a light setup and remote lakes.

Since then I bought a z51 Eskimo. Love it.
A auger is one of those investments that is really worth every cent. IMO
Good luck this season