Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-21-2009, 10:02 AM

Default The PAL application process (rant warning)

Yesterday I received a letter from the RCMP. It was the Chief Firearms Officer, asking me to "declare the purpose of ownership", of my restricted firearms: collection or target shooting.

If you choose target shooting you need to provide proof of club membership. For a collector there is another application form.

Mind you, I own one (1) restricted firearm. I'm not sure what the definition of a collection is, but the Online Dictionary says: "A group of objects or works to be seen, studied, or kept together. A "group"... so not one (1) object.

So Target Shooting it is (which is why I have it, to shoot it at the range). Of course I already provided a copy of the range membership card with my application, but I guess the guys in the East don't use that information.

The CFO will *****s whether "the restricted firearms [...] are being used for the purpose declared at the time of aquisition of those firearms". Nobody asked me to declare purpose at time of acquisition. The dealer wouldn't ship the darn thing without a copy of the club membership (which I guess he used to get a transport permit in the first place). And just how is the CFO going to do figure out how the firearm is being used?

What bugs me most is that the letter states, right under my application number: Due Date: October xx, 2009. My PAL expires early September!

Yikes! Maybe all those monster rams I have pinned down can breathe easily till the last two weeks of the season!

Rant mode off: life with firearms is still a whole lot easier than it was back in the old country, but it is sure beginning to show some awkward similarities.

Frans
Old 07-21-2009, 10:10 AM

Firearm laws in Canada were a lot easier until the *****Hat Allan Rock came along with C-68. I wonder how many Canadians are now "paper" criminals thanks to that idiot Liberal?
Old 07-21-2009, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frans View Post
Yesterday I received a letter from the RCMP. It was the Chief Firearms Officer, asking me to "declare the purpose of ownership", of my restricted firearms: collection or target shooting.

If you choose target shooting you need to provide proof of club membership. For a collector there is another application form.

Mind you, I own one (1) restricted firearm. I'm not sure what the definition of a collection is, but the Online Dictionary says: "A group of objects or works to be seen, studied, or kept together. A "group"... so not one (1) object.

So Target Shooting it is (which is why I have it, to shoot it at the range). Of course I already provided a copy of the range membership card with my application, but I guess the guys in the East don't use that information.

The CFO will *****s whether "the restricted firearms [...] are being used for the purpose declared at the time of aquisition of those firearms". Nobody asked me to declare purpose at time of acquisition. The dealer wouldn't ship the darn thing without a copy of the club membership (which I guess he used to get a transport permit in the first place). And just how is the CFO going to do figure out how the firearm is being used?

What bugs me most is that the letter states, right under my application number: Due Date: October xx, 2009. My PAL expires early September!

Yikes! Maybe all those monster rams I have pinned down can breathe easily till the last two weeks of the season!

Rant mode off: life with firearms is still a whole lot easier than it was back in the old country, but it is sure beginning to show some awkward similarities.

Frans

I went through the same deal a couple of months ago. All my restricted were registered to my 1/4 of land and that was all I needed back then. When it came time for renewal of my license I recieved the same letter. After checking into it more and chatting with a knowlegable friend I bought a membership in a gun club rather than go the collector route. I checked a couple of different clubs, some prices were really high. As it turned out my local AFGA club was the best deal. I faxed a copy of my membership to them,gave them a call to make sure they recieved it and then it was only a matter of waiting.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepcrazyguy View Post
I faxed a copy of my membership to them,gave them a call to make sure they recieved it and then it was only a matter of waiting.
For how long?

Frans
Old 07-21-2009, 11:42 AM

I went through the same thing only I phoned after not hearing anything for over 2 months-they never notified me. Once I faxed them a copy of my range membership I had my PAL within 2 weeks.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frans View Post
For how long?

Frans
Only a couple of weeks.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:41 AM

I'm still waiting on my PAL after over 4 months as it's still being "processed" as I was told. Not looking forward to when I go for a restricted license....
Old 07-22-2009, 07:51 AM

You really should call the CFC to discuss what the hold up is NOW!
Old 07-22-2009, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proonur View Post
You really should call the CFC to discuss what the hold up is NOW!
That's right, as much as I hate all of this registry stuff, whenever I've called there who ever I've talked to has always been very helpful. Make a call and find out what's going on. It's easier to fix a problem now than after you've been declined.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:47 AM

[QUOTE=Frans;353343]Yesterday I received a letter from the RCMP. It was the Chief Firearms Officer, asking me to "declare the purpose of ownership", of my restricted firearms: collection or target shooting.

I renewed my PAL (restricted and non-restricted firearms) 3 years ago. The process went quite smoothly and I never received a letter from the RCMP like Frans did nor any other enquiries about the purpose of ownership of my hand guns.
Does anyone know whether this is now standard procedure for them to ask you to "declare purpose of ownership" before they will renew your PAL? I let my range membership and conveyance permit lapse a number of years ago (before the new Firearms Act was enacted). I wonder if I will have to deal with this issue in 2011 when I apply to renew my PAL again.
Any information anyone can provide would be appreciated.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:23 PM

From what I've heard from talking with other people that are renewing their licenses now, they've all been asked to do the same. Perhaps some one else on here can add some more info.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:31 PM
troller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270WIN View Post
. I wonder if I will have to deal with this issue in 2011 when I apply to renew my PAL again.
Any information anyone can provide would be appreciated.
I am afraid you will have to declare one way or the other

"Permitted Purposes For Owning A Restricted Firearm

There are a few purposes for which you can be licensed to acquire and/or possess a restricted firearm, the most common being target practice or target shooting competitions, or as part of a collection.

In limited circumstances, restricted firearms are also allowed for use in connection with your lawful profession or occupation, or to protect life.

Exception: If you have a firearm that is registered to you as a relic under the former legislation, you may continue to possess it for that purpose. However, you cannot pass that designation on to the next owner. The next owner can acquire the firearm only for one of the purposes referred to above.

As set out in the Firearms Act, a relic firearm is one that is of value as a curiosity or rarity, or that is valued as a memento, remembrance or souvenir.

Top of Page
Criteria For Each Purpose

Depending on which purpose you select, there are some specific criteria you have to meet, as follows.
Target Shooting Practice and Competition

To be authorized to have restricted firearms for target shooting purposes, you must provide proof that you practice or compete at an approved shooting club or range.

For more information about approved shooting clubs and ranges, contact your provincial CFO by calling 1 800 731-4000.
Collectors of Restricted Firearms

OR

To be authorized to have restricted firearms as part of a collection, you must:

* Know the historical, technical or scientific features of such firearms in your collection
* Consent to occasional inspections of the place where your collection is stored
* Comply with regulations dealing with safe storage, record-keeping and other matters related to restricted firearms

Employment Purposes and Protection of Life

In limited circumstances, an individual may be authorized to possess and/or acquire a restricted firearm for employment purposes or for protection of a life."

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/restr-eng.htm

I went through the same as others here last year with my renewal. I have heard that they do inspect collectors but that is just hear say, no personal experience there.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhuntley12 View Post
I'm still waiting on my PAL after over 4 months as it's still being "processed" as I was told. Not looking forward to when I go for a restricted license....
I just renewed mine and had my new one less than a month after I sent off the paperwork. I was pretty pleased.

One thing though... on my old licence on the back under "Posession" I had non-restricted, and under "Acquisition" I had non-restricted and crossbow. I notice on my new licence crowssbow is deleted. I don't really care as I have no plans to get a crossbow, but I wonder what is going on.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post

One thing though... on my old licence on the back under "Posession" I had non-restricted, and under "Acquisition" I had non-restricted and crossbow. I notice on my new licence crowssbow is deleted. I don't really care as I have no plans to get a crossbow, but I wonder what is going on.
You don't need a PAL to get a crossbow anymore.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:31 PM

Thanks Sheepcrazyguy and troller. Info much appreciated. Actually, I also phoned the National Firearms Association (of which I am a member and have been since the inception of that organization) today and the information they provided was entirely consistent with what you are saying.