Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-14-2014, 01:03 PM

Default Makes me scratch the bean a little.

Sitting here, looking out the front window, I have a view of most of the block, as I live on the tee and can see down the street.
Have a neighbor that does some oddball stuff with his vehicle, quite often out there working on it.
While back he was trying to get the hood open, I think. He was out there for an hour or so, fiddling around the front of it. Under it, standing there staring at it, various poses, obviously puzzled about something there.
Finally out came a ballpeen and a crowbar. Pounding on the hood over the rad area. Is he knocking a hole in there? Yup ( I dug out the binos).... his wife is standing there watching this. Beats the crowbar into the hood and opens up a hole, finally gets the hood up. Fiddles around a minute under the hood, puts what looked like oil in it, goes back in the house, didn't go anywhere afterwards.
Same guy a few weeks ago, same car, starts it, belt is screaming, windows are closed, he is 75yds away, I can hear it, very clearly.
Away he goes with it, I can hear it as far as I can see it ( 250yds).
See he has a new vehicle now.
He is out there pouring hot water on the windows to defrost them, and wiping the inside with hot water. then goes inside to wait for it to warm up for about 20 min.
He is a character, for sure.
Old 11-14-2014, 01:06 PM

Take him over some Ice, see if he would like to buy it
Sad part is, he probably works at a ford dealership as a journeymen mechanic
Old 11-14-2014, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
Sitting here, looking out the front window, I have a view of most of the block, as I live on the tee and can see down the street.
Have a neighbor that does some oddball stuff with his vehicle, quite often out there working on it.
While back he was trying to get the hood open, I think. He was out there for an hour or so, fiddling around the front of it. Under it, standing there staring at it, various poses, obviously puzzled about something there.
Finally out came a ballpeen and a crowbar. Pounding on the hood over the rad area. Is he knocking a hole in there? Yup ( I dug out the binos).... his wife is standing there watching this. Beats the crowbar into the hood and opens up a hole, finally gets the hood up. Fiddles around a minute under the hood, puts what looked like oil in it, goes back in the house, didn't go anywhere afterwards.
Same guy a few weeks ago, same car, starts it, belt is screaming, windows are closed, he is 75yds away, I can hear it, very clearly.
Away he goes with it, I can hear it as far as I can see it ( 250yds).
See he has a new vehicle now.
He is out there pouring hot water on the windows to defrost them, and wiping the inside with hot water. then goes inside to wait for it to warm up for about 20 min.
He is a character, for sure.

HAVE YOU BEEN SPYING ON ME?!?

Just Kidding!

Sometimes I gotta do crazy things with my ol' winter beater of a '88 4Runner in real cold weather (gawd knows what the neighbors think!) so maybe the guy has a good reason for acting "weird".
Old 11-14-2014, 01:19 PM

New Canadian? Just curious.
Old 11-14-2014, 01:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwestalta View Post
New Canadian? Just curious.
Lol I thought the same
Old 11-14-2014, 01:57 PM

Pretty sure it was his first vehicle, and he would be in his 40's or so. He is scared of dogs.
He spent a lot of time doing "something" to it over the summer.
Just wondering if I have a unique view of a unique situation, or are there more people out there like this?
Also used to be someone down the street, the cops visited fairly regularly.
Remember watching them set up for a raid a few times on that place. One car up on the far corner, one by the tee, two over in the alley (flashing lights on the other houses in the alley after the raid), then 2-3 cars rushing up to the front of the place.
And then the paddy wagon would appear, 4 guys went in one night, never less than 2. Used to happen every 2-3 months. About midnite to 1;00AM.
Haven't seen that show for about 2 yrs now.
Old 11-14-2014, 02:00 PM

Cool. Lots of things to see in your hood. Might have to do one of those house swaps like on t.v. Pretty peaceful in my piece of the world. Can't see the neighbors here.
Old 11-14-2014, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Just wondering if I have a unique view of a unique situation, or are there more people out there like this?
Lots of 'em.

I have a part-time "retirement" job where I work with a few boneheads.
One guy couldn't find his block heater wire - right in front of his, or my, face - and another guy didn't know how to change a battery which was only 7 years old. Neither of 'em could figure out why the cars wouldn't start in cold weather. These 2 guys are NOT "new Canadians" - they were born here.

Another one didn't know how to get a tailight lens off to replace a bulb - and afterwards thought any bulb would do.

I could tell ya a few more stories, some are "new Canadians" and some aren't.

If you're interested, talk to a old guy at a parts store during slack times about how much people DON'T know. Some of their stories will knot your intestines!

Quote:
.......He is scared of dogs.
My dogs are scared of me when I'm cursing out the ol' 4Runner at the top of my lungs.
Old 11-14-2014, 02:44 PM
Banned

I'm gIad my nearest neighbor Iives 2 miIes away.
I can't stand nosy peopIe spying on neighbors and the gossiping that goes aIong with it.
Mind yer own business,..Iive and Iet Iive
Old 11-14-2014, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bison View Post
I can't stand nosy peopIe spying on neighbors and the gossiping that goes aIong with it.
Your refusal to go buy an external key board and hook it up to your lap top is bothering me
$25 and I won't have to figure out what you're trying to say on the interweb.
We are all neighbours

Op,
For real entertaing times, go talk to the guy.
Could be he only went to night school and can't read instructions during the day

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 11-14-2014, 04:29 PM

Quote:
^^Ditto the above..
I'm with Bison on this one..
Old 11-14-2014, 04:41 PM

Hey , strange neighbours can be great entertainment .
Old 11-14-2014, 07:22 PM

Default Hood fun

In my little cul de sac;
1) The retired and widowed mechanic who is a Jeep fanatic and has a garage full of every imaginable tool and welding gear. He built a "Jesuki" with a '93 Suzuki chassis on which he mounted a '47 army jeep body which he salvaged and rebuilt, all in his garage and driveway. Got it inspected and registered - very cool. His "Jeep club" buddies come by to have him help with various customizations. I enjoy going over and seeing what project he is working on and discussing it.
2) The "ne're do wells" who have sons who are in constant trouble. Luckily, they do their dirty deeds elsewhere and have never been any real trouble for the neighbours. Constant stream of EPS cars and personnel at their house.
3) The "curmudgeon" who for many years has made every effort to make his neighbours as miserable as he is. Endless stories, and he is now confined to his house and on his last legs, with homecare. Relatively harmless, but many years of entertainment from his antics for all of us.
4) The wonderful neighbour newfie who is the neighbourhood handyman ( I think virtually everyone in the hood has had his assistance to fix or renovate all manner of things, sometimes paid, but often just gratuitous) and social convenor. His garage door is almost always open in good weather, and the visitors are endless - just an ongoing rotating social event. And, every year, in August, his lobster fest, with a hundred people, and a pipe band playing in the street.
5) Just a very tolerant and friendly, very diverse, and interesting bunch of neighbours, most of whom have lived here for a long time, and are old friends who treat each other with respect and participate to make it a great hood.
Always something to observe out my front window and lots of entertaining stuff going on. I was very lucky indeed to move here 20 years ago. I don't know of any other "city" hood that is more "together" as such. I have many friends who are envious, because they can't get any social connection or participation from their hood.
Old 11-14-2014, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikwhiskey View Post
Take him over some Ice, see if he would like to buy it
Sad part is, he probably works at a ford dealership as a journeymen mechanic
The shop expert on 6.0 litre diesels
Old 11-14-2014, 08:17 PM

Maybe go to CT and buy the guy a scraper as a gift? I can't think of an explanation for the hood thing, though.

It bugs me that so many people on my street start their cars up and leave them running by the curb for 20 minutes every morning -- would have thought that would be an open invitation for a thief.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post
^^Ditto the above..
I'm with Bison on this one..
But you have to admit, for a guy who doesn't like watching people, he sure has a lot of 'I's.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 11-14-2014, 08:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacotensis View Post
Your refusal to go buy an external key board and hook it up to your lap top is bothering me
$25 and I won't have to figure out what you're trying to say on the interweb.
We are all neighbours

Op,
For real entertaing times, go talk to the guy.
Could be he only went to night school and can't read instructions during the day
FYI,a proper Iaptop keyboard is ordered but it has to come from Hong Kong so it might take a whiIe.

Don't bIame me if you're having a bad day.

If you aIready have a probIem reading engIish with an I for I_,...be gIad i don't post in Dutch!
Old 11-14-2014, 10:42 PM

Quote:
I agree if it don't have to do with me I don't care

Mack
Old 11-15-2014, 11:41 AM

Quote:
...be gIad i don't post in Dutch!
I DARE ya! (My wife could read it.)
Old 11-15-2014, 11:51 AM
Banned

When I look out any window of my house ? , all I see is bush , lately the cold and snow has pushed several moose and deer in close to our house , they will hang around all winter , eat all the domestic shrubs , funny in the animal kingdom idiots are not common , thank God !

Don't know how I could move back to the city to reside and tolerate all the morons in clear sight
Old 11-15-2014, 11:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistagin View Post
I DARE ya! (My wife could read it.)
Dan heb je een pienter vrouwtje
Old 11-15-2014, 12:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkdump View Post
When I look out any window of my house ? , all I see is bush , lately the cold and snow has pushed several moose and deer in close to our house , they will hang around all winter , eat all the domestic shrubs , funny in the animal kingdom idiots are not common , thank God !

Don't know how I could move back to the city to reside and tolerate all the morons in clear sight
in the animaI kingdom idiots get ate.
In the human kingdom idiots are being protected so they can breed more idiots,..and it start showing.