Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-07-2022, 07:43 PM

As a few have mentioned, no need to explain yourself.

From what I have read, you are taking good care of them.

Neighbor of mine has a couple. Wife loves them when she drives by. Thinks they are cute...I don't...but what do I know...
Old 01-08-2022, 11:34 AM

I believe Old Gut and Keg explained the main point. In -40oC most animals will cool fast enough so meat will not spoil. However the Bison with extreme heavy coat did not allow rapid cooling even at -40. Good reason to skin your animal ASAP and not haul them home hide on.
Old 01-08-2022, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
I believe Old Gut and Keg explained the main point. In -40oC most animals will cool fast enough so meat will not spoil. However the Bison with extreme heavy coat did not allow rapid cooling even at -40. Good reason to skin your animal ASAP and not haul them home hide on.
Animals are known to rot from the inside out due to the bones retaining the heat. Whenever I have to hang an animal (Elk/Moose) up on a meat pole to leave overnight, I always strip the meat away from bone while its hanging. meat hangs in a game bag and the quarters hang from the bone.

Probably a completely different story with a Bison, I've never hunted or shot one of those.....
Old 01-08-2022, 02:49 PM
Gone Hunting

When I worked as a guide we never deboned any animal until we got it back to base. Which often was several days after the kill,

We would gut the animal, quarter it and then haul it to camp.
Only then did we skin it.
Our camp was on the shore of the Peace River and a lot of our Moose were shot on mud bars along the river. Leaving the hide on helped to keep the meat clean.

So long as the weather was cool we had no issues with spoilage.
If the weather was above +10 for daytime highs we did take the quarters back to base and put them in our Walk in cooler asap.

I was taught to open up the body asap. In below freezing weather that was enough to prevent spoilage.

I also have not hunted Bison but the outfitter I worked for has and he tells me they are a whole different situation.

As has been said their hide is incredibly dense and insulates like no other.
From what I hear they also have a lot more mass then even the largest Moose.
Mass insulates. I would not leave the hide on a Bison any longer the I had too and I would at least open the quarters to the bone so the core would cool faster.

I know most birds have higher body temperatures then ungulates but with a typical mass less then a Deer I don't think cooling would be an issue with them.
I also wonder how much their feathers would insulate given that they come from the tropics and deserts of Australia.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 01-08-2022, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
Exactly. If you can’t provide adequate facilities to Guarantee they aren’t going to freeze to death sell them to someone that can take proper care of them. Why would you go getting emus if you don’t have adequate facilities.
Jesus is this a pita forum. The guy said multiple times they had heat and shelter. Poor dude can't even ask a hypothetical question. -40 kills a pile of livestock sheltered or not.
Old 01-08-2022, 07:50 PM

-40 kills a pile of livestock sheltered or not.[/QUOTE ]

Not on my farm it doesn’t.
Old 01-08-2022, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
-40 kills a pile of livestock sheltered or not.[/QUOTE ]

Not on my farm it doesn’t.
That's fantastic for you.
Old 01-08-2022, 09:42 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAK Precision View Post
Jesus is this a pita forum. The guy said multiple times they had heat and shelter. Poor dude can't even ask a hypothetical question. -40 kills a pile of livestock sheltered or not.
Agreed.

Maybe down in the south some hobby farmers get lucky but up here the only way to ensure that no animals die from hypothermia is to keep them in a heated building.

I don't know anyone who can afford to house a hundred cattle much less a thousand in a heated building for seven months each year and make a living while doing so.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 01-10-2022, 11:02 PM

Obviously you’ve got good heat and shelter, so should you find something dead chances are it died from some unknown reason. No way I’d be consuming something like that or letting anyone else.